What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grass Strips

SVTPete83

Well Known Member
With my wife finally getting her pilots license I wanted to get her a b day gift and set her up with Mike S up in Oregon for some transition training. We now have the dates all set and I am really stoked for her to learn from the best! That being said, we now need to fly our 9A into his grass strip for the training. I have zero grass strip experience and our plane has never touched grass either. To say I'm a little concerned would be accurate. We have a 9A with the antisplat mod as well as a berringer nose wheel. Our bird weighs in at a portly 1192 pounds and has a heavier nose due to the IO-360 in it. I'm confident in my soft field technique as that is how I land every time. Do I have anything to worry about here? What say the good folks in Vans Air Force?

From my very first instructor in 1967....

With my wife finally getting her pilots license I wanted to get her a b day gift and set her up with Mike S up in Oregon for some transition training. We now have the dates all set and I am really stoked for her to learn from the best! That being said, we now need to fly our 9A into his grass strip for the training. I have zero grass strip experience and our plane has never touched grass either. To say I'm a little concerned would be accurate. We have a 9A with the antisplat mod as well as a berringer nose wheel. Our bird weighs in at a portly 1192 pounds and has a heavier nose due to the IO-360 in it. I'm confident in my soft field technique as that is how I land every time. Do I have anything to worry about here? What say the good folks in Vans Air Force?

Do you know how to hold the nose wheel off the ground? If so, you should have no problems!

Any time you have enough speed to lift the nose wheel off the ground, it should NOT be on the ground. Simple!

NorthWest or SouthEast

Having flown with Mike out of Vernonia I would say try to set things up for the SouthEast direction on that field. It's quite possible to land to the NorthWest but you'll be close to the tree tops on short final.

On speed

IMO the problem people have is landing fast and forcing the nose down. They start to run out of runway and put the nose down early or land nose first. Land at min speed and hold the nose off. Use power to fly the approach if you have to.

-Andy

Landing is easy. Just keep the stick back and remember you can't jam on the brakes. If you are unfamiliar with the strip call that morning and ask about conditions (puddles, soft spots, holes, etc...).

Taxi slow and keep your head up. Look for tracks from other planes and follow them (unless they lead to a stuck or broken airplane.)

Taking off sometimes requires some technique. Fortunately Mike will be there and can help with that.

Don't be embarrassed to walk the strip. I've flown out of my Dad's grass strip my whole life. I know every blade off grass out there. But there are still times I go out and walk it before takeoff.

I got my transition training from Mike out of the Vernonia airport, and while landing on grass isn't difficult, the approach to Vernonia is interesting. Suggest you call Mike and discuss the typical pattern there. As the airport manager, Mike is the best to consult for advice there.

I did my transition training with Mike at Vernonia. It’s a pretty unique grass strip surrounded by rising terrain.

Consider landing at Scappose and driving over. This way her first flights can be with Mike in the designated Vans aircraft. Once she is comfortable with the airport, she can fly you both in and out.

I did my transition training with Mike at Vernonia. It’s a pretty unique grass strip surrounded by rising terrain.

Consider landing at Scappose and driving over. This way her first flights can be with Mike in the designated Vans aircraft. Once she is comfortable with the airport, she can fly you both in and out.

My main concern with that is the aircraft he uses is a 6a. Much different than a 9 with much different speeds. Especially compared to our 9. I’d really like for her to be able to learn in the plane we already have.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it. In the end, I have 8 weeks to decide what I am going to do. I’ll stew on it and hopefully pick all your brains some more!

Flip over

Broad head wis rv6A perfect landing flips on roll out .rv8a in Florida held nose off flips on landing. Like Hoover said don’t fly the A model.A model owners be carful when landing on grass.

My main concern with that is the aircraft he uses is a 6a. Much different than a 9 with much different speeds. Especially compared to our 9. I’d really like for her to be able to learn in the plane we already have.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it. In the end, I have 8 weeks to decide what I am going to do. I’ll stew on it and hopefully pick all your brains some more!

Easiest thing to do is to give Mike a call and discuss it with him!

I always enjoy my trips to Veronica to see what big R/C projects Mike has in the hangar…and we usually get some flying in too!

Paul

Back