What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 engine choice

gator05301

I'm New Here
I'm about to pick up an RV-8 fast-build kit and have an option to buy an IO-360 A1A with it for $10K. It's been pickled (supposedly correctly) for about 8 years so it should be in good shape. I know there's plenty of conflicting opinions on carb vrs FI but I have to pose the questions:
1. IO-360 A1A; good choice for an RV-8? Any CG issues with the additional weight?

2. Advice on what to look for before purchase?

3. Seeings as it been put up for awhile; I'm sure I should at least pull a couple cylinders for inspection; or do a more thorough tear-down-inspection prior to hanging it?

4. and why not...go ahead with the FI vrs carb arguments :)

$10K is probably less than the price of a core these days - forget the FI vs. Carb argument at this point - do the usual due diligence on the motor’s condition, and you can change accessories at will later on!

In my opinion, fuel injection is better in every way except maybe for ease of hot starting.. you never hear about someone converting a fuel injected engine to carb, do you? With fuel injection, you can lean more precisely, and have the EGTs peak very close to each other, optimizing fuel burn.
The benefits of a carb is they are easier start hot.

I would look at the log books, verify everything including the case was overhauled and yellow tagged at last overhaul. If so 10k is smoking deal, unless corroded.

The benefits of a carb is they are easier start hot.

That's not necessarily true. I have an io360 and an io390, and both hot start within 3 blades if the proper procedure is used.

If I recall correctly, the 8s were designed with the io360 in mind. It's a great engine option for the plane. Just pay attention to prop and accessories weight. 8s tend to be nose heavy.

I'm about to pick up an RV-8 fast-build kit and have an option to buy an IO-360 A1A with it for $10K. It's been pickled (supposedly correctly) for about 8 years so it should be in good shape. I know there's plenty of conflicting opinions on carb vrs FI but I have to pose the questions:
1. IO-360 A1A; good choice for an RV-8? Any CG issues with the additional weight?

2. Advice on what to look for before purchase?

3. Seeings as it been put up for awhile; I'm sure I should at least pull a couple cylinders for inspection; or do a more thorough tear-down-inspection prior to hanging it?

4. and why not...go ahead with the FI vrs carb arguments :)

I recently converted my vertical intake -8 FP prop to an injected CS prop. I didn't want to rework the cowl/intake, so I used a vertical intake sump along with the original FAB. Having now flown both carb/injection, my preference is fuel injection, but both are great.

Last edited:
Back