What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Video

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I'm building an QB8, and I am at the following place:
  • Empennage done, attached, aligned, drilled, removed.
  • Wings done except for final skin and tips (so Flaps and Aelerons, Pitot and AOA installed, wiring, auto pilot all done).
  • Fuse has controls done, ready for paint and floors, trying to do the wiring plans now
  • Finish kit not yet ordered

I am finding myself stuck in trying to plan things out, and get things done. I'm starting wiring and plumbing (gas, vents, brakes), and having a tough time envisioning some things, and have made a few steps that I had to undo, because of poor planning.

I am also having a hard time finding any local builders willing to drop by and give advice or direction. The build is in my garage, not a hangar. I have been told the help will be endless at a hangar, but I am trying to avoid that expense until as late as possible.

Does anyone have a recommendation on any Video series that takes you through the build process? Preferably specific to an 8. I remember seeing something about them before, but searching the web has left me with nothing.

Hey Chuck,

I'm basically at the same stage, except I have the Finish Kit so I've tackled the wheel pants and fairings already.

I vote for doing the panel, FWF stuff, engine mount, then hang the engine (if you have one). It makes sense to wire the engine and the panel at the same time.

It's certainly tougher when you don't have a builder support group to lay eyes on your work...so use the resources of this board to the fullest. Ask lots of questions, use the search engine and post pictures of the "problem child" parts and assemblies.

Good luck!!

Same Here!

I'm at exactly the same spot too! My best plans have come from reading a couple of "Build Log's".... They have been a huge help to me since I began. Mr. Brent Owens log has been my "Go To" site for any problems I have had and for trying to understand a process or to sequence things properly......He jumped around a little like most of us have had to do for one reason or another. I have been scratching my head a lot the last few days but, I'm about to get it. I have decided to undo everything in the cockpit and paint the interior next, then put her on the gear so I can fit the wings. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy my engine so I can properly fit the cowls and do the finish kit....

http://www.mykitlog.com/owens

Mr. Owens, If you happen to read this, thanks a bunch!

The last "10%"

... takes 90% of the time....
You guys are at the point where you are done with structures and Vans's plans get pretty sketchy and vague. Mostlly because from here forward it's custom work (wiring/panel options/ engine-prop options) etc.

I did it in this order:
Get the gear on, mount wheels / brakes / brake plumbing
Install all firewall hardware (battery/solenoids/ penetrations),
Hang the engine so it will stay "upright" if it's the "A" model,
Fit / rig and drill the wings & tail feathers then remove,
Build out your panel on the bench and power it up as you go along to make sure everything is working correctly. Label all wiring pigtails with a piece of "frog" tape. Leave pigtails long enough to reach to their next planned connecting point. When complete, drop it into the cockpit screw it in and route the pigtails.
Finish out wing / fuse wiring interconnections.
Tackle FWF.

Building sequence help

Most of us hit this snag especially first time builders. Here's what I did and it worked well. Take a couple days off from building and write everything down you can think of you have left to do. Do this at a restaurant etc., not sitting and looking at what feels like a massively confusing project. Once you feel you have a pretty good list, look at everything and TRY to organize your list as much as you can to avoid running into the "I can't proceed here until I...." You won't get it all organized I promise.... No big deal. Now here is the real trick that worked well for me.

1. Start at the top and COMPLETE that task
2. Repeat no. 1 with the next item on the list
3. When you run into something you can't proceed with because of something
else...
4. Work on THAT snag/obstacle until it is COMPLETE.
5. Then go BACK to the item on your list that you got side tracked from due to
No. 3 and complete it. No matter how often or how far you must side track,
ASAP start working backward to return to the last item you were working on
that is on the list. Only when complete, move on to the next listed item.

You'll find some times you're working on items further down the list... This is ok. The key here is simply asap work backward to return to the item on your list.
This is kind of a systematic approach to solving the problems of what in the world do I do next.

One more thought that will help. Working a little every day or at least consistently is very important.

Hope this helps.

I tend to do a search on this forum the night before tackling a job and read all I can about it even if I think I already know how to do it. This has saved many headaches.

You're definitely not alone. I'm at the same point as you and having the exact same issues. If you run across a build video, I would like to learn of it as well.

I'm at exactly the same spot too! My best plans have come from reading a couple of "Build Log's".... They have been a huge help to me since I began. Mr. Brent Owens log has been my "Go To" site for any problems I have had and for trying to understand a process or to sequence things properly......He jumped around a little like most of us have had to do for one reason or another. I have been scratching my head a lot the last few days but, I'm about to get it. I have decided to undo everything in the cockpit and paint the interior next, then put her on the gear so I can fit the wings. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy my engine so I can properly fit the cowls and do the finish kit....

http://www.mykitlog.com/owens

Mr. Owens, If you happen to read this, thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the shout out! Glad that it's still out there helping folks. I'd love to some day put all that content on a site that's searchable and more user friendly - especially if I know folks are using it.

Regards and Happy New Year!
Brent Owens

I use your site a lot also Brent! Thanks for such a fantastic resource, that must of been a lot of work in addition to the build.

Back