What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Realigning FW Hinge Eyes for Cowling Fit

HFS

Well Known Member
Sometimes it is necessary to "realign" the top/side cowl hinge eyes to make the pin installation easier. The cowl split line hinges can also be out of alignment, but this tool is only for use on the FW, where adequate back up can be clamped to the fuselage (aluminum) structure.

This misalignment can either be during the initial build, or later when some aspect of the original fit has changed, or a new/updated cowl has been installed and the alignment of the hinge segments compromised.

The trick is to force the new bend line of the hinge eye to occur at the base of the eye itself instead of further aft in the body of the hinge flange - which creates new stresses in the FW flange.

The job I did with this tool only required the eyes to be bent up, so this is a single purpose tool, i.e., don't go too far, o/w you'll be looking for a way to readjust the eyes downwards. I'm working on a tool for that, just haven't perfected it yet.

HFS

Attachments

• Hinge Eye Adjustment.jpg
    Hinge Eye Adjustment.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Hinge Eye Adjustment Tool.jpg
    Hinge Eye Adjustment Tool.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 74
Back