What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Foward Baggage Floor

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
I know this has been discussed before but…I’m in phase 1 with two vastly different sized drivers and have ground adjustable pedals. Does the forward baggage floor have to be in place for flight. I emailed Vans with no response.

use the torx

And use some screws that are not philips - they strip too easily. I used Torx, but any screw type with a "slipless drive" like torx or allen head makes it easier.

Cap screws

I installed my forward baggage floor with socket head cap screws and use a ball end allen socket on my 1/4 inch drive electric ratchet to install/removed them. Makes it a lot easer to take the floor in and out when needed.

Last edited:
I split the floor in half. The right side can be removed easily to service the brakes and rudder pedals. Just add a spice in the middle to preserve structure.

I installed my forward baggage floor with socket head cap screws and use a ball end allen socket on my 1/4 inch drive electric ratchet to install/removed them. Makes it a lot easer to take the floor in and out when needed.

Smart! As much as I like Torx, you can't do that with a torx head, to the best of my knowledge.

Always think maintenance

Attachments

• 8B97493D-55CF-4115-BDA4-930332C9CF1E.jpeg
    8B97493D-55CF-4115-BDA4-930332C9CF1E.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 147
I put one like that in my -8 too. Much easier to get to the fuel filter than crawling under the panel.
I talked to "the man" at OSH about making it standard. By far the best mod I've done. Fuel pump, brakes, engine control cables, etc. are right there.

I talked to "the man" at OSH about making it standard. By far the best mod I've done. Fuel pump, brakes, engine control cables, etc. are right there.
Looks very useful. After removing the forward baggage shelf several times for my regular inspections, I've gotten better at it, and don't dread it like I did the first few times. This mod would mostly eliminate that need.

Back