What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question to these who has BRS installed

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hello friends!

I have a question here to you who has BRS chute installed in their RV10. Can you provide some information, maybe pictures and drawings of the location where the rear straps and cables are attached to airframe please ?
The forward attachment points are the top of engine mount but the rear ones are in question for me. I am not installing BRS, I need that for different purpose. Pictures or maybe installation drawings will help alot.
Thank you.

This is an article from KitPlanes about the BRS installation onto an RV9. There are a lot of installation pictures in the article. The installation is similar to the RV10 referenced in the previous post.

https://www.kitplanes.com/custom-brs-installation-in-an-rv-9a/

You will probably need a Kit Plane subscription to read the article.

Thank you! Just reviewed that link at KitPlanes. Installation is similar but attachment points are a bit different due to the WB. In case if RV9 the chute is aft of the baggage compartment which I guess won't work for RV10 due to WB limitations.

This appears to be on their website https://brsaerospace.com/rv-10/

Looks like the rear straps are attached to the bulkhead immediately aft of the baggage compartment.

You can also use the form on the page to email them and get the information you need.

Thank you! Yes that makes sense about the attachment points aft of the baggage compartment. At first I was under impression that rear attachment points always must be at rear wing spar. This however is not possible in RV10 since rear wing spar is under the rear seats. The way they reinforce the bottom of the tailcone and make attach points there will suit the best in RV10 configuration. Sadly the chute can't go beside the baggage compartment in to tailcone like RV9 or most of other two seaters ;)

Is there a way to install brs in a 10 that doesn’t have the straps very visible front to back like the one on their website? I know it should t matter but that is hideous. I can’t imagine cirrus would have experienced the success that they have if they had that strap showing like that.

I’m building an RV-10 with a BRS and can send you the manual if you want it. PM me. Or get it from BRS themselves. They are happy to share it.

Yes, the fairings over the cords are blocky compared to a cirrus. The difference is that cirrus built the plane with the BRS integral to the design. The RV-10 is a retrofit. So, compromises are made.

Again, I’m still building, but given that all the fairings are external and held on with RTV or Bondo, they will tear right off. If you actually use the BRS, you will destroy all the fairings and covers, but the plane is probably okay, depending on how much force is exerted on deployment. You could bend the airframe and engine mount, or maybe not. There is a chance you could fix it and fly again. I have flown Diamonds and Cirri with BRS systems, and if you use it, you just write the airframe off. So, ugly and blocky, but maybe salvageable?

I’m building an RV-10 with a BRS and can send you the manual if you want it. PM me. Or get it from BRS themselves. They are happy to share it.

Yes, the fairings over the cords are blocky compared to a cirrus. The difference is that cirrus built the plane with the BRS integral to the design. The RV-10 is a retrofit. So, compromises are made.

Again, I’m still building, but given that all the fairings are external and held on with RTV or Bondo, they will tear right off. If you actually use the BRS, you will destroy all the fairings and covers, but the plane is probably okay, depending on how much force is exerted on deployment. You could bend the airframe and engine mount, or maybe not. There is a chance you could fix it and fly again. I have flown Diamonds and Cirri with BRS systems, and if you use it, you just write the airframe off. So, ugly and blocky, but maybe salvageable?

PM sent :)
Yes that is right - BRS in Cirrus is incorporated in to airframe so it looks slick and clean. In RV10 it is a retrofit but hopefully one day VANs will offer a top cabin cover with pre-manufactured channels for the straps/lines for BRS chute. That will make things nice and clean in RV10 aswell.
I also was thinking why BRS installs the straps on the sides under the doors rather than along the side of the window, over the roof and back ? In my opinion there should be enough space and design will look cleaner. However not sure about changes in aerodynamics.

Just guessing, but running the conduits over the roof probably disrupts airflow more than below the door. Yeah, the conduits are a little blocky, but you can smooth them out a little with RTV or Bondo.

Maybe one of the aftermarket parts companies can make a new canopy cover with integrated channels for the straps. But, bearing in mind that there really aren't that many people with BRS installed, might not be much of a market.

Mulling a chute in my 10. If I do I will use the fairings BRS supplies and according to some pictures online it looks like those fairings can be effectively faired and “hidden” (subjective of course) with filler and paint. The paint would depend on colors and where you place the paint accents and lines but looks like it can be effectively done with minimal aesthetic consequences.

I know very little about the fuse and fiberglass cabin top as I am not that far yet but would it be possible to make the straps integral? Similar to what Mike Patey has done on his scrappy build? Cut into the cabin top and create channels that are then fiberglassed or carbon fibered. I’m sure BRS designed it the way they did because that isn’t possible but maybe it is. Far beyond my abilities but thought I’d throw it out there.

Mulling a chute in my 10. If I do I will use the fairings BRS supplies and according to some pictures online it looks like those fairings can be effectively faired and “hidden” (subjective of course) with filler and paint. The paint would depend on colors and where you place the paint accents and lines but looks like it can be effectively done with minimal aesthetic consequences.

I know very little about the fuse and fiberglass cabin top as I am not that far yet but would it be possible to make the straps integral? Similar to what Mike Patey has done on his scrappy build? Cut into the cabin top and create channels that are then fiberglassed or carbon fibered. I’m sure BRS designed it the way they did because that isn’t possible but maybe it is. Far beyond my abilities but thought I’d throw it out there.

I was thinking about such of a way, however the cabin top is in fact a integral structural and safety related part so making a channels in it may require either to know until what depth it is safe to OR to add some reinforcement on the back side to ensure that it will not crack nor break in case of emergency landing. Just my thoughts. Otherwise it would be super nice looking RV10 with chute straps integrated in to channels.

I received the installation manual from BRS and am reading through that. Has anyone installed a BRS on 10 and also installed the aerosport products rear NACA vent controller? It looks like the normal routing of air ducts through the baggage bulkhead is blocked by the BRS top rear attach gusset bracket (#20).

Has anyone installed a BRS on 10 and also installed the aerosport products rear NACA vent controller? It looks like the normal routing of air ducts through the baggage bulkhead is blocked by the BRS top rear attach gusset bracket (#20).

I am interested in the answer to that too. Looking at the Aerosport Products video, I think you are correct about the top gusset interfering with the ducting through that bulkhead. I'd like to have both!

If it comes down to it, do you pick better cabin airflow (which you could use almost daily), or a BRS (you hope to NEVER use)?

I am interested in the answer to that too. Looking at the Aerosport Products video, I think you are correct about the top gusset interfering with the ducting through that bulkhead. I'd like to have both!

If it comes down to it, do you pick better cabin airflow (which you could use almost daily), or a BRS (you hope to NEVER use)?

I am checking with BRS and am told they are having their engineers look into if it is possible to add holes to those gussets. I suppose you might also be able to add the vent hoses below the tailcone bulkhead and have them route through the removable baggage bulkhead and then route them through the overhead counsel. Would require some fabrication and fiberglassing but initial thought is it might be doable.

Would ejection seats be an other option? The plane won't be reusable with either a chute or seats.

Now your talking... Wouldn't that be cool. Maybe just an ejection seat for the pilot to save weight and leave the passengers to fend for themselves. Decisions.

Now your talking... Wouldn't that be cool. Maybe just an ejection seat for the pilot to save weight and leave the passengers to fend for themselves. Decisions.

Or an ejection seat just for the passengers. Violate sterile cockpit rules and you get 007's Aston Martin DB-5 treatment.

Would ejection seats be an other option? The plane won't be reusable with either a chute or seats.

You definitely don’t want ejection seats in an RV. Too much weight and the likelihood of leg amputation around the knees very high with the seating in all RVs.

I am checking with BRS and am told they are having their engineers look into if it is possible to add holes to those gussets. I suppose you might also be able to add the vent hoses below the tailcone bulkhead and have them route through the removable baggage bulkhead and then route them through the overhead counsel. Would require some fabrication and fiberglassing but initial thought is it might be doable.

I'll be curious what BRS says. I'm having Aerosport see if they have any ideas on how to route the 2" vent scat tube around the gussets and still look and function the same on the overhead airflow.

I think you're right... One could route the scat tube below the bulkhead through the upper baggage bulkhead corrugation and make a small fairing on the cabin side to route the airflow back up into the rear of the overhead panel.

Since I'm still undecided on the BRS and finishing up my tailcone, I'm tempted to order the gussets for the top and reinforcement parts on the bottom of the fuselage. If I changed my mind and decide not to install the BRS later, I can cut through the gussets at the bulkhead to install the scat tube per normal. The skin side of the gussets could serve as a beefy antenna reinforcement instead. Just an idea. Think that might work?

I'll be curious what BRS says. I'm having Aerosport see if they have any ideas on how to route the 2" vent scat tube around the gussets and still look and function the same on the overhead airflow.

I think you're right... One could route the scat tube below the bulkhead through the upper baggage bulkhead corrugation and make a small fairing on the cabin side to route the airflow back up into the rear of the overhead panel.

Since I'm still undecided on the BRS and finishing up my tailcone, I'm tempted to order the gussets for the top and reinforcement parts on the bottom of the fuselage. If I changed my mind and decide not to install the BRS later, I can cut through the gussets at the bulkhead to install the scat tube per normal. The skin side of the gussets could serve as a beefy antenna reinforcement instead. Just an idea. Think that might work?

I am in the same boat as you. Finished my tailcone and still undecided on the BRS chute. Let us know what you hear from aerosport on rerouting and I will do the same if I hear back from BRS on adding holes to the gussets. Based on the little I know the only thing I would question would be if BRS would just sell you the gusstes or if they require the full purchase of the 1st stage kit. If the later that would be an expensive contingency plan as last I checked the 1st stage install kit was around $10K.

Good news is there is no rush as you have access to that area for most if not all of the build and can always add the gussets if going with BRS or cut the vent holes if not later on.

Back