What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV jack

jconard27

Sam Buchanan had something like this. Anyone know who sells these?

Attachments

• 05D3887E-0AF2-465B-958E-476C69DB75C4.jpeg
    05D3887E-0AF2-465B-958E-476C69DB75C4.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 307
I haven’t seen that before, but it looks like something you could show to any half decent welding shop and have made for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacks for RVs....

Sam Buchanan had something like this. Anyone know who sells these?

I love the ingenuity of some of the things people come up with to solve a problem. I would have loved to have been in the room when THIS one was figured out! [Ok; lesee here......um......if we angle this over here, put the jack, say, there and use a rope.......]:p

For years I used a scissor jack from my old Datsun '78 280Z (loved that car!) but opted to find something easier to use. I wondered if a small floor jack would work? Headed down to my local Harbor Freight and found a cute little Pittsburg Racing 1.5 ton floor jack. With the front roller on it, it would not fit under the gear leg so I took that off. Now it slips right under (when raised up enough to clear the brake caliper) and lifts it without difficulty. Not having the roller also puts the frame of the lift on the floor adding to the jack stability and it staying in place. Best done straight on to the gear leg from the side. I have never had it slip off or feel unstable. I do still put blocks under the axle once I get the tire off and let it settle on them. Even with the mangling one sometimes has to do to get the wheel/tire off/on, it stays put. Only problem is making sure I don't bang into the fuselage with the pump handle! I'll get some pictures and post them later.....

I love the ingenuity of some of the things people come up with to solve a problem. I would have loved to have been in the room when THIS one was figured out! [Ok; lesee here......um......if we angle this over here, put the jack, say, there and use a rope.......]:p

For years I used a scissor jack from my old Datsun '78 280Z (loved that car!) but opted to find something easier to use. I wondered if a small floor jack would work? Headed down to my local Harbor Freight and found a cute little Pittsburg Racing 1.5 ton floor jack. With the front roller on it, it would not fit under the gear leg so I took that off. Now it slips right under (when raised up enough to clear the brake caliper) and lifts it without difficulty. Not having the roller also puts the frame of the lift on the floor adding to the jack stability and it staying in place. Best done straight on to the gear leg from the side. I have never had it slip off or feel unstable. I do still put blocks under the axle once I get the tire off and let it settle on them. Even with the mangling one sometimes has to do to get the wheel/tire off/on, it stays put. Only problem is making sure I don't bang into the fuselage with the pump handle! I'll get some pictures and post them later.....

Puts me in mind of Rube Goldberg somehow. Along the way, I've stumbled my way through four different ways of jacking my plane up to get the wheel off the ground. Currently I've settled on the RV Jackpoints from Flyboy Accessories. Also uses a scissor jack, but without the rather interesting bar/cable contraption.

Last edited:
Anyone have a handy jack that could do a length and angle take off for me? Would like to fab up one out of square tubing?? Looks like that could be a half day project with some usefulness.

Headed down to my local Harbor Freight and found a cute little Pittsburg Racing 1.5 ton floor jack. With the front roller on it, it would not fit under the gear leg so I took that off. Now it slips right under (when raised up enough to clear the brake caliper) and lifts it without difficulty. Not having the roller also puts the frame of the lift on the floor adding to the jack stability and it staying in place. Best done straight on to the gear leg from the side. I have never had it slip off or feel unstable. I do still put blocks under the axle once I get the tire off and let it settle on them. Even with the mangling one sometimes has to do to get the wheel/tire off/on, it stays put. Only problem is making sure I don't bang into the fuselage with the pump handle! I'll get some pictures and post them later.....

Said pictures.......

Attachments

• IMG813.jpg
    IMG813.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG814.jpg
    IMG814.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG815.jpg
    IMG815.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 192
Anyone have a handy jack that could do a length and angle take off for me? Would like to fab up one out of square tubing?? Looks like that could be a half day project with some usefulness.

Here is the RV jack I fabbed for use with a floor jack. There is a small U-bolt attached to the gear leg near the brakes that rides along permanently. This catches the cable so it won't slide up the leg. The dimensions aren't particularly critical, I just used the scrap tubing I had handy. But this is about as short as will clear the tire and allow room for the floor jack.

I see no reason this couldn't be bolted together with gussets if welding isn't an option.

Attachments

• RVjack-1.jpg
    RVjack-1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 137
  • RVjack-2.jpg
    RVjack-2.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 131
  • RVjack-3.jpg
    RVjack-3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Recently rescued an RV-6 that flated on a Sunday with not many people around.

Bent over and got my back under the spar and lifted up enough to get the tire off the ground and had the owner slide a sawhorse with some padding under the spar.

We fixed the flat and got it back down none the worse for wear.

But, I have SkyDesigns jack points on th Sonerai and the same will go on my RV-8.

Hey Dennis.
Are you still looking for the specs on the Handy Jack? I have one & can get them for you. Let me know.

Jacking

I second you Check out RV Jackpoints at Flyboy Accessories. No more complicated jacking your gear issues for a flat or general tire / wheel maintenance.

Back