What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB borescope in fuel tank?

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I'd like to have a look in my fuel tanks and was wondering if anyone has any experience using a USB borescope to do that.

Mainly I want to look to see if there are any bits of crud, aluminum chips, etc.

I would like to avoid blowing myself up in a fuel explosion. The risk of static discharge is clear, but does anyone with more knowledge of USB borescopes with LED lights know if these devices could make sparks?

I have two - a simple, cheap USB borescope, and the articulating VA400 borescope. Both have LED lights. Thanks for any hints!

I had similar concerns on a different aircraft. I found that flooding the tank with Co2 acted as an excellent purge of gas fumes, to the point where I could no longer detect any gas smell by nose.

If you're wondering where to get Co2, any fire extinguisher shop can help you out, or you can adapt a bottle used for SodaStream or similar products.

NOTE: most bottles use liquid Co2 and you want to flood the tank with gaseous Co2. The conversion pressure where liquid turns to gas is something in the neighborhood of 800PSI. With this being the case, one wants to have a means of regulating pressure output. I did so solely via the valve located on the ex-fire-extinguisher tank I was using.

Borescope

what about one of the co2 powered tire inflators?

Keith Rhea
RV7
2022 donation

Look up Lower Explosion Limit

I have used CONTINUOS compressed air flow in a car tank to to fuse a punctured plastic tank. There are no doubt experts here who can comment on this simple option.

I don't think you have much to worry about with 5 VDC micro electronics. You may know this, but you are continually running 12VDC through your gas tank whenever the EMS is on, albeit a relatively low current. The resistor material that the EMS voltage runs through for the fuel level sender is inside the tank.

The primary risk with gasoline is sparks, not electricity in general.

Larry

Last edited:
I can't offer any science or analysis to support my actions, but I've used a USB borescope to inspect the inside of one of my tanks in the RV-3. No explosions and it was very helpful in finding/removing some debris.

My scope was actually small enough to go through the sump port in the bottom of the wing.

if anyone has any experience using a USB borescope to do that

Yes, as of this morning I have the experience of using my quite expensive borescope to try to determine which type of level sensors are installed in my wing tanks...
The experiment started pretty good as I was navigating the innards of the left fuel tank, way thru the tank.
No fire, no explosion, nothing, all nice and cool... and very interesting :)

That is until the head dropped in the little pool of fuel left in the bottom of the tank. The fuel (Mogas) must have dissolved the (probably plastic) lens, as well as all the LEDs, and ruined the scope.

Oh well, a new one, cheaper and with much better performance, see https://eur.vevor.com/pipe-inspection-camera-c_11031/vevor-articulating-borescope-camera-with-light-two-way-articulated-endoscope-inspection-camera-with-6-4mm-tiny-lens-5-ips-1080p-hd-screen-8x-zoom-8-led-light-snake-camera-for-automotive-plumbing-p_010921210736, is on it's way.

Not sure if "watertight" equals "fueltight"?

Yes, as of this morning I have the experience of using my quite expensive borescope to try to determine which type of level sensors are installed in my wing tanks...
The experiment started pretty good as I was navigating the innards of the left fuel tank, way thru the tank.

That is until the head dropped in the little pool of fuel left in the bottom of the tank. The fuel (Mogas) must have dissolved the (probably plastic) lens, as well as all the LEDs, and ruined the scope.

Oh well, a new one, cheaper and with much better performance, see https://eur.vevor.com/pipe-inspection-camera-c_11031/vevor-articulating-borescope-camera-with-light-two-way-articulated-endoscope-inspection-camera-with-6-4mm-tiny-lens-5-ips-1080p-hd-screen-8x-zoom-8-led-light-snake-camera-for-automotive-plumbing-p_010921210736, is on it's way.

Ooops. I hope the new one works well. The price sure looks right.

I was planning to drain the tank and go in via the drain to have a look to see if there is any debris in there. I still get little bits of Al when I sump the tank from time to time - which is surprising after 3 years and over 400 flights.

did you get this unit yet? I was going to get the Vividia 400 but wondering if I would want more flex than the rigid probe on the 400. Have you tried it for the valve checks? Im ok getting 2 borescopes if needed and the main goal is for the engine but it would be nice to just have one.

Thanks

WiFi Borescope - $50

I find that a WiFi borescope is more convenient to use than one with a built in screen. You can use both hands to position the scope while having your phone or tablet parked somewhere convenient to view the image while positioning the scope.

The one below has two lenses (0 & 90 degrees). It's fine for exhaust valve inspection, but not as good as one with anarticulating head. Fits through a 7/32" hole ( perfect for the outboard elevator hinge bracket area on rear spar of horizontal stabilizer inspection). 1080p resolution. iPhone 9.0+ and Android 7.0+ devices. Long enough to reach into the tail.

DEPSTECH 0.197inch Wireless Endoscope,1080P Dual Lens Borescope Inspection Camera with Light,2.0 Megapixels Snake Camera with Flexible Semi-Rigid Cable for iPhone & Android-16.5FT

I was going to get the Vividia 400 but wondering if I would want more flex than the rigid probe on the 400. Have you tried it for the valve checks?

I've had, and tried out, many scopes... and would advise against the Vividia 400. It used to be a good scope when these things were scarce, but technology and competition helped give us cheaper, and above all better performing ones.
Resolution, clarity of picture, ease of use, probe diameter (elevator hinge inspection hole), picture storage, and maybe price, are all things to consider.

Yes, I used the one mentioned above for checking my valves, and it works pretty good. But there are other brands available, and some good stuff is available now.

Back