Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
.......on my engine and if my Pmag is timed at 25 degrees on my IO-360 in those conditions I will approach 400 easily in climb. I took out about 4 degrees of timing recently and my CHTs now top out around 385 in hot conditions on climb.
Pretty sure eMag timing is at TDC or 1-6 degrees after TC.

Straight from page 14 of their manual:

"Note 1: Be wary of old magneto timing habits. Magnetos are timed using the 25 degree (or other) BTDC marks. Here, you will time at TDC or slightly after (never before)."

I've got a Plasma III for the top plugs that I've been very happy with for the last 500+ hours. Wire it up just like the manual says and you'll have zero issues. Mine has the Hall effect module.

When Slick came out with their service bulletin a couple of years ago I swapped out that mag for an eMag and have been extremely happy with that ignition system, also with zero issues over the last 150+ hours. To be fair, I had zero issues with the Slick mag for 350+ hours.

Just went flying the other day after completing the annual inspection, 97 degrees OAT, and all CHT's were no hotter than 355. I was also leaning during the climb at 120 kts. Slowed her to 90 kts and highest temperature was 375 on my IO360. At 23/23, anywhere from 5.5k to 9.5k, I get 170 kts TAS burning 7.9 GPH LOP. When I had the Slick mag, I'd burn 8.5 GPH LOP on my IO360 with a Hartzell CS prop.

Pros of eMag:
Super easy to time (compared to a regular mag and/or the Plasma)
No internal plastic parts (that I know of)
Weight savings over a mag
More choice of plugs and consequently much cheaper
21st century product

Cons:
Can't think of any

As far as research, like others have mentioned, I do like the availability and variety of options and responses found on VAF. I'm not into reinventing the wheel but somewhere along the line you have to chose what's right for your aircraft.
RV-15 N302TK "La Proxima Chica"
TN26
Old 08-30-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
Pretty sure eMag timing is at TDC or 1-6 degrees after TC.
Yes you are correct, it was a typo on my part. My Pmag is timed 4 degrees after TC. Slick on the right side is 25 degrees as is standard. Previous post has been fixed.

I'm betting if a guy timed a Pmag at 25 degrees like a traditional mag things really would not go good!

Last edited by jcarne : 08-30-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:50 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Many of the posters on this forum are very, very new at airplane building/maintenance and new to this forum. The search that some think is so “simple” for them is impaired for the newbie by the “you don’t know what you don’t know” concept, not to mention cumbersome limitations imposed by vBulletin’s arcane search engine. It would seem reasonable to hope that if an “expert” would take the time to read the post and type the response “do a search”, maybe he could help out a less knowledgeable poster and take a little extra time and provide a link. Otherwise…maybe just skip over the post altogether….always an option.
Seems to be a lot of discussion in this thread concerning "forum etiquette". Moderators are happy with it, so let me drop some more "advanced" forum knowledge for those who are new. Consider it a public service:

Forums like this have been around for decades, and if there is a singular cardinal rule across all of them it is to "do a search" before posting a new thread. I did not make this rule up - it just "is". Now, for the true forum newbie, understand that unlike the polite and respectful response I gave earlier in this thread, MANY other forums would be very, very harsh for committing this faux pas. In many cases the "...do a search..." language would be followed up with unflattering opinions about your IQ, your manhood, or numerous emoji characters or memes reflecting the same. We are fortunate to live in a world with a civilized forum such as VAF. Here is an example from another, also polite and civil aviation forum response from just today:

Quote:
Not that new, we already talked it to death here:

...Please search before putting up a new thread.
It should be noted that the above quote was from a forum moderator interested in keeping his forum content organized and useable as a technical reference.

For the forum newbie - use this forum as a technical library, not an ongoing stream of consciousness journal like farcebook. This forum flourishes when NEW info is added and the existing is archived, organized and available for future users. Understand that its not that people are being lazy when they tell a newbie to "do a search", it is simply the fact that there is such a huge quantity of archived material related to the question that the reader would be dealt a misservice with one or two direct responses. In the case of this thread, there is quite literally HOURS of material available at the firgertips of the requestor. Who am I to try parse out what I think is important to the reader? Its like driving to the library, walking up to the check out counter and asking the librarian "...show me how to make pottery..." - All the while ignoring the volumes of information sitting within reach on the shelf.

That is my public service for the thread. To those who will heed my words and benefit from my years on various forums - you're welcome. For those of you who feel I did not do enough to help out the new guy - It's my burden try to live with the fact that I did not live up to your expectations. No hard feelings either way.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 09-03-2022, 11:05 AM

Over the years, I’ve owned three different vBulletin licenses have have had three forums - two specialty-oriented and one general public. I appreciate hearing your opinion, have heard it before, but disagree with it. I’d explain further but there’s no need and I don’t want to appear rude. As you say…no hard feelings and I’ll just leave it at that.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 09-03-2022, 11:40 AM

The world would be pretty dull if we all shared the same opinion. As long as we all agree that opinions are equally "valid" from a certain perspective, we can work it all out.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD