What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum Pump (for bagging composites) recommendations

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Suggestions for a vacuum pump for bagging composites?

Would like to save some money on this tool acquisition as I don't think I'll get my money's worth/usage out of it. The ones available locally are either AC service commercial grade or cheap junk; both the new and used/listed ones.

Anyone have any good money savings suggestions for this purchase? Much thanks.

For small parts, we use a small diaphragm pump, like you would use as a small compressor for an airbrush spray setup. Just use the intake port.
You can usually find these used in the $30 range. The ones sold for airbrush spraying don't usually have an intake port, but at least on one of mine, it was easy to figure out where to punch a hole through the head and tap it for 1/4 NPT.

The one I bought last was a surplus medical diaphragm pump. These are usually in the $50 range, and usually come with a gauge and sometimes even a needle-valve type vacuum regulator.

The only one I see listed on ebay right now is new, for $85. Here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3945117934...tiCRAW6OpnEe30aceFgjdJXqnBZ/|tkp:BFBMpKzLmNxh

The other option is a cheap vane pump. These are often used in the HVAC industry for leak checking and charging refrigerants. They seem to be in the $100 range new, and $50-ish used.

Hope that helps.

Next Question

Before I charge my brakes for the first time, I want to de-air the brake fluid. I don't think the barrel vacuum will get to a low enough pressure and I hate to put that oil into my compressor by using it's intake.
Any suggestions?

I was thinking an old air pump from a car, but that involves making a whole setup with motor and stuff...

100 ML Syringe

For small volumes get a big syringe and pull the air out of solution. Easy to see when you have the job done then just push it into the brake system from the bottom with the same syringe.

Suggestions for a vacuum pump for bagging composites?

Would like to save some money on this tool acquisition as I don't think I'll get my money's worth/usage out of it. The ones available locally are either AC service commercial grade or cheap junk; both the new and used/listed ones.

Anyone have any good money savings suggestions for this purchase? Much thanks.

If you can find an abandoned refrigerator check out the compressor. If is runs, silver solder the appropriate fittings onto the suction line. I used one for years to vacuum bag many composite parts......Lookout for the freon blasting out when you cut the lines:).......

Craigslist

I kept an eye on craigslist and came across a 3/4 hp medical vacuum pump and was $500 in perfect condition. The same pump new retailed for just over $4,000.
Most of my shop tools are bought used. I kept a running wish list of the tools needed/wanted and regularly scanned craigslist, kijiji and others.
After almost two years couldn't find a decent used 20" bandsaw so finally had to bite the bullet and buy new. If you aren't in a rush and do your homework as to best quality tools, good equipment can be had used for decent prices.

Back