What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark Winter Rental - AZ, FL, CA

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
A question for the gang …

Having spent the last 6 weeks flying around in warmer climes my wife surprised me at dinner last night asking if it was possible/available to rent a place down south next winter where could bring our airplane. She loves doing flyouts for the day. We would consider finding a spot with covered tiedowns and rent local. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Covered storage and hangars are in such demand, it’s hard to find anything here in central FL.

Thanks for the responses. Mainly interested in AZ & CA. Would contacting various airports and getting a waitlist help? If you were going to head to the Southwest, where would you suggest and why? Trying to build our holidays next winter.

Chandler Az has no hangars or tie-downs based on info from last year, but the new airport manager is planning a massive expansion.

Deer Valley Airport

A few years ago, I rented a hangar in Deer Valley, AZ. I found their waiting list to be transparent and organized. You can check your position on the list, online, at any time.

It took me 6 months to get the hangar and I am sure it is not the same now.

At that time, I had to pay for one month's non-refundable rent to be placed on the list. Here is the link:

https://www.deervalleyairport.com/DoingBusiness/RentHangar

When we got plowed in for many days this year (by contracted equipment operators who don't understand airport operations) it made me think about what to do if we needed to fly our plane in the winter months. I talked to the FBO and they said there was ample room in the big hangar for an RV, monthly rates about 50% higher than the going rate but no wait list. That could be an option.

A question for the gang …

Having spent the last 6 weeks flying around in warmer climes my wife surprised me at dinner last night asking if it was possible/available to rent a place down south next winter where could bring our airplane. She loves doing flyouts for the day. We would consider finding a spot with covered tiedowns and rent local. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Last time that I checked, at LaCholla Airpark (57AZ, LCAP) where I base my -10, there were no available hangars, but was at least one shadeport was open and available for rent. No way of predicting whether or not that would be true several months into the future if you're thinking about next winter. That's almost certainly true with any other airport as well, e.g. a long waiting list might indicate one would likely NOT be, but if/when one will be open at any given time is a matter of luck.

LCAP is in Oro Valley, a 'burb on the north side of Tucson, nestled between the Santa Catalina and Tortolita mountains. Paved runway, roughly 4600 x 44'. No instrument approach, but around here they aren't often needed :). The ramp asphalt has degraded, but a rehab project is in the planning stages.

It's a privately owned/run airpark. Associate memberships are available for those who don't own property on the airpark. I don't recall the fees for either membership or shadeport rental, but they would be available by contacting the office, which is open Monday-Thursday.

Tom

Ryan airfield KRYN 11 miles west of Tucson usually has a few empty shade ports available. They are operated by Mobile Aire.

Back