What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n Fun 2023

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
For those that are going, is anyone interested in getting together as a group?

Let me know

Let me know what the plan is. Just was there yesterday getting our campsite set up. Lots of little changes. Will be working out at paradise city again on the flight line.

Attachments

• D5B2BC3C-653C-44B8-83D6-CE1EFBD7FDD5.jpg
    D5B2BC3C-653C-44B8-83D6-CE1EFBD7FDD5.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 87
inquiring mind

Is the tent/shelter with nice people running it & vital supplies (beverages) still going to be in HBC?
I've been wondering if it will be allowed with the move and the new "The Island" (they may not want any "competition").

Taxi time

Let me know what the plan is. Just was there yesterday getting our campsite set up. Lots of little changes. Will be working out at paradise city again on the flight line.

Can you give me an idea of taxi time to/from HB parking? My RV-4 cools OK in flight but not so much on the ground. Would like to fly in for at least a day (maybe Friday) if I can get my transponder check done.

Finn

2 Wheel Electric Scooter

Are we allowed to use an electric two-wheel scooter if brought into HBP at SNF?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-25 114655.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-25 114655.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 976
I'll be arriving Monday mid-day and be camping all week. Just hope they sprayed for the fire ants. :D

Are we allowed to use an electric two-wheel scooter if brought into HBP at SNF?

Only if you're handicapped and must present proof to the proper person upon check in.

A few of us volunteers will check this thread as we can and try to answer questions as we have time permitting, apologies in advance if we don't get back to you right away or have to say no.

I just drove the ground and the field is the best I've ever seen. Keep your fingers crossed that we will not get any rain.

Attachments

• SnF Gator.jpg
    SnF Gator.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 75
SNF

Steve - We definitely need to meet up this year. I am there starting Monday night back over on the flight line of paradise city.

Quite a few people fly in for just the day, I would estimate a few hundred.

Taxi time to HBP is the luck of the draw. Really depends when you arrive, if we are east or west bound operations,... I would plan on a min of 10-15 mins in the conga line on both arrival and departure. Sometimes it pays just to wait it out for a bit.

They were out treating the grass when I was there on Friday, but worth sticking a little bag of fire ant killer in the plane.

There are bunch of little changes, like the "free" flight line air show seating moved to the east side as opposed to infront of the hangars.

New leadership, new ideas, new processes. We will see, but the place does look great.

The HB pavilion guys usually threw one big "pay as you go" special meal on one of the nights - is that still in the plans for this year?

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon and staying to Sunday morning, definitely don't want to miss the good food at the homebuilt pavilion.

Do many folks fly in just for a day?

Quite a few, but give yourself plenty of time to get on the ground before the airshow starts, plus Wednesday AND Saturday nights there will be a night airshow, with limited departures between.

The HB pavilion guys usually threw one big "pay as you go" special meal on one of the nights - is that still in the plans for this year?

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon and staying to Sunday morning, definitely don't want to miss the good food at the homebuilt pavilion.

I hope so, that was one of my favorite ways to wind down after the show. Be advised, Donna's Place has been moved to the far east side of the field, next to Choppertown.

New leadership, new ideas, new processes.

Agreed. Some ideas I like, some I'm holding off judgement on, others.... beyond my paygrade.

Last edited:
Hbc

From what we saw. If more than one night camping, you had to pay for a week. If that is not correct would someone please confirm.

How much is HBC for one or two nights? I can only find pricing for weekly camping.

From what we saw. If more than one night camping, you had to pay for a week. If that is not correct would someone please confirm.

Hi gang,

-Day Camping rates do NOT include admission fee/wristband.
-PACKAGE rates include admission fee/wristband.
-At $40/day it's cheaper to buy a full session of camping after 3 nights (plus admission fee/wristband.), but you will not be forced to.

Attachments

• Sun n Fun 2023 admissions.jpg
    Sun n Fun 2023 admissions.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Sun n FUn camping rates.jpg
    Sun n FUn camping rates.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Do many folks fly in just for a day?
From a "stuff to look at" perspective, it's a fraction of OSH and you could/can do it in a day depending on what interests you. If you wanted to do workshops, forums, and stuff like that, then more days would make sense.

I'm going to fly over on Wednesday, and drive over on Saturday. Takes about the same total time for me, because flying requires more pre and post flight work. Driving is "park"!

Thanks

Hi gang,

-Day Camping rates do NOT include admission fee/wristband.
-PACKAGE rates include admission fee/wristband.
-At $40/day it's cheaper to buy a full session of camping after 3 nights (plus admission fee/wristband.), but you will not be forced to.

Thanks for the information Steve.

Carol

The Notam does not contain the airshow hours when the field is closed - has that been published yet?

The Notam does not contain the airshow hours when the field is closed - has that been published yet?

Found it - you have to go to the FAA's TFR listing site and search it out. Not very user-friendly for a NOTAM.

1330-1730 EXCEPT for Thursday when it will start at 1300 for the Blues arrival. If different than what I say then NOTAM controls.

PLEASE give yourself margin for headwinds traffic etc. There is nothing more frustrating than having to start the show while we know we have airplanes inbound trying to land but airshow airplanes on the ground are getting ready to overheat.

If that was Greg in the 14, he and a few others in the 14, a 10, and a 7 just took off from Toccoa GA right after I landed, trying to shoot a gap in the storm line. Good luck to them

1330-1730 EXCEPT for Thursday when it will start at 1300 for the Blues arrival. If different than what I say then NOTAM controls.

PLEASE give yourself margin for headwinds traffic etc. There is nothing more frustrating than having to start the show while we know we have airplanes inbound trying to land but airshow airplanes on the ground are getting ready to overheat.

The TFR for Thursday was different this morning - now it agrees with your statement. Guess I'll be coming in somewhere nearby and holding until the shows over, I won't be able to get in prior to 1pm.

Will be there tomorrow (Tuesday) for the day and Saturday camping leaving Sunday to see the night show. Safe flight to everyone.

The Barriers Are Up!!

2BA603EB-80FA-4D62-A3E6-2CAB450A39CA.jpeg

No matter WHEN they schedule SnF, there seems to be a weather barrier for everyone not already in Florida…. This is Monday morning - perhaps it will clear through? Yeah….we seem to say that every year, and sometimes is does…sometimes it doesn’t.

I am passing on SnF this year - first time I’ll have missed it for maybe a dozen years (except the year it wasn’t held). Kitplanes has a team on site, and will do just fine without me - and I’ve got a new and unusual airplane we’re getting ready for first flight and Phase 1.

So all of you that make it to Lakeland - have fun!

Paul

Not sure I'll make it down this year, probably wont....but bummer
one big thing I wanted to do if I end up making it, was to spend some time with their RV-12. Looks like they don't have one at their booth....

Not sure I'll make it down this year, probably wont....but bummer
one big thing I wanted to do if I end up making it, was to spend some time with their RV-12. Looks like they don't have one at their booth....

There should be about a dozen in HBC/HBP, just find somebody willing to do show-and-tell.

just that quick, I already have confirmation it's not in cards for me to make it this year. My wife just texted me about something I have to take my daughter to on Saturday.
I'm like
"....um...but...but....but ... sun...n..... oh never mind. Where do I need to go and what do AI need to bring?"

Please note: if you are departing before the afternoon airshow, the show starts at 1330 (1300 Thursdayy) sharp. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I strongly recommend you be buttoned up and ready to depart by 1300 to give yourself plenty of time to start, taxi, stop, wonder if you left something behind, accidently erase your ipad and reprogram it, tell the kids they should have gone before you started, etc..

Also, Taxiway Delta is NOT a runway! Yes, people have. Once right in front me and the FAA while we were trying to figure out ways to keep people from doing just that.

Last edited:
I had to file IFR just to go to the shower trailer.

Attachments

• PXL_20230328_124159904.jpg
    PXL_20230328_124159904.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 135
SnF

I am going to miss SnF this year as I have scheduled a trip to Korea, Viet Nam and Australia. Generally go for a day since I live about 3hours away. But will go to Oshkosh again this year.

Tapered composite wings on the RV-S6.

Y'all be sure to stop by and see the tapered composite wings on Bob Mills' Super RV-6. He is in one of the exhibitor tents, he assures me, since I was worried about it being parked out where hail might hit it.

If you are coming or going today, the Blues are arriving today so please please try to be on the ground or off the ground by 12:30. Give yourself a little cushion. Thank you

The wife and I will be hanging out at the "coconut flyers" tiki bar behind the warbird area during the night airshow in a few hours. Look for the sunburnt guy carrying around a bud light sword.

Saturday Night Fire Show

Nice firework at at the end of the show.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 99
Back