What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is W-1207B-25 spar doubler now standard?

ravenstar

Well Known Member
Page 14-03 of the RV-12iS KAI calls for W-1207B spar doublers. The wing kit I received a month ago included W-1207B-25 doublers instead which I understand is a slightly oversized version of the W-1207B. This wasn't a case of sending the wrong part as occasionally happens -- the -25 version was listed on the packing list.

So before I rivet this part on, does anyone know if Van's is now supplying the oversized part standard, or if I should wait until after the long weekend to contact them about this discrepancy?

There's MANY cases where the instructions don't exactly match the parts sent. Places where parts are already fabricated, or connectors already on wires, etc. In your case, just install the provided part and build on!

Huh, I called vans tech support about this when they did the same with my wing kit delivery 2 months ago. They didn’t know what the difference was. Perhaps, it was a tech for another rv type and not familiar with the 12. So I had them send me the 1207b-25 just in case.

When 1207b-25 showed up… this documentation was with it. After reading it, I decided to start with/rivet the 1207b designation first. If I’m wrong, I have two trailing edge spars to drill out. 😔 I hope I’m not doomed before I start with rigging the wings. I wonder if anyone else ran into this problem before? I see they have several extended lengths in their web store. I wonder if the iS model requires the -25 from the start?

- Jacob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Cleco it in place until you fit your wing and you won’t have any drilling if it’s not right.

More info

I got my wing kit in July 21. 1207B-25 was called out on the parts list and supplied in the Kit and is now installed in the wing. I have fitted the end to the corresponding socket in the fuselage kit, but have not fitted the entire wing to the fuselage yet (which means I have no way of knowing if it is too long, just that the radius of the end matches the fuselage socket).

If it is too long I think I would use a file rather than replace the part with a shorter one. Should be able to get a better fit that way.

The worst that will happen is that your spar stubs are too long and you'll need to take a little material off of it. You'll know because you won't be able to stick the wing in the fuselage far enough such that you can get the big spar pins in.

I'm not sure what I built with, in my early 12iS plane.. but I do remember having to take a little material off the doublers with a dremel and then some sandpaper to make it pretty again. And even then, it took a couple light-moderate taps with a softblow mallet to get the pins in the first few times.

I think this is preferable than to rivet on a part that may be too short right out of the gate.

Back