What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical system help

So I purchased a RV10 several weeks ago. The plane is grounded while we address a few items from the prebuy. The prop is getting overhauled, motor mounts replaced and cables replaced. In the mean time I’m going through th plane with my mechanic looking for any Easter eggs. We are opening up every panel and inspecting throughly. So far, the plane is very clean.

However, I am having trouble figuring out the electrical system. I don’t won’t to fly it until I throughly understand how the systems work. The previous owner used a professional builders to help construct the airplane but the operating handbook is lacking when it comes to description of the various systems and he was unable to answer my questions.

First, the plane was built in 2007 and has two batteries. On the panel there is a standard battery/alternator switch. In addition there is a switch for the standby battery with a on/off/standby position with a green light. The green light comes on when the switch is in the on position. Also, there is a red guarded switch labeled END buss. I’m assuming the END bus switch should be activated if the alternator fails to conserve battery. What is confusing me is how the standby battery switch be used. Should it always be in the on position or the standby position. Will both batteries charge if the switch in in the standby or off position.

I know there is probably not enough information here to answer my questions, but I’m hoping this was a common configuration in the 2007 time frame and someone has a similar set up.

Thanks for any input

Can't be sure from the facts available but it sounds like it could be the Aeroelectric Z-19 architecture. You can find the schematic diagram here. (Scroll down to Z-19-RBA1 and Z-190-RBA2). However, variations from the Aeroelectric architectures are common, so the only way to know exactly would be to trace the wires.

I had to do similar sleuthing

The availability of a schematic of the electrical system is a HUGELY undervalued item when considering the purchase of a used homebuilt. 😃

The availability of a schematic of the electrical system is a HUGELY undervalued item when considering the purchase of a used homebuilt. 😃

+1

I’ve recently had a discussion with a builder on this subject. No matter what the builder may think, he/she is building the airplane for the next owner. Take the time to document:
- Electrical power distribution design and design objectives
- Electrical components
- Location of wire runs
- Pin call outs on every connector on the plane
- POH on how to operate the system
- All avionic pin outs
- Model and serial number of all avionics

This takes almost no time in the build process. It will save days when doing maintenance, panel upgrades and such. The new owner will thank you.

To the OP - tell us what batteries you have in the plane and where they are located. Also a photo of the panel switches would help.

Carl

Sorry Robert, but you there is just not enough information to answer your questions. You will need to take out a stubby pencil and paper, trace out the wiring and draw.

I can tell you the 1965 era full wave bridge rectifier you have in your photo has been a Nuckolls staple for decades to isolate power feeds/loads. Most common is to provide power to a buss, but that buss not provide power back.

A photo of the batteries and panel switches would help.

Carl

Those cubes are automotive relays. Get the part number off of them and then do a search to get the pinout. Digi-Key.com and Mouser.com are good sites for electronics parts so you can check there too. The block below is the diode bridge that is often used to "automatically" connect from the main bus to the endurance bus or what the label calls emergency...

The wires that are on those relays are small so I don't believe they are used to switch any of the main buses. Relays can also be used when a switch with a low current rating needs to switch a higher current load. I can't quite read the labels on those relays. They could be used for stick switches for example.

If you don't already have one get a multimeter with a beeping continuity checker. That will help you quickly check the wire routing.

My son thinks one of them says right door and the other says left warn. Seems like overkill to put the door warning lights on a relay. I know I’m going to have to trace all of the wires and build my own schematic to truly understand how everything works. Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately few planes have an accurate and complete electrical diagram. That’s one of the first things I do is map out the electrical system. It’s not easy and it’s time consuming trying to follow the wires, identify parts, etc

Back