What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Filter

UrbanM

Group,
I am awaiting the return of my engine from the local shop. In the meantime I’m cleaning up a few things forward of the firewall. Quick question about the K&N filters. I understand these to be lifetime for automotive use and mine looks good and is serviced regularly but it is original to the plane (2006).
Is there a recommended replacement interval for aviation use?
Thanks,
Kirk

Attachments

• 04A9454E-EB1E-4D1B-98C0-94BD82394419.jpg
    04A9454E-EB1E-4D1B-98C0-94BD82394419.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 115
  • F66C2108-23F5-4275-8DA7-A45251C4D6EE.jpg
    F66C2108-23F5-4275-8DA7-A45251C4D6EE.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 93
K&N air filters

I understand these to be lifetime for automotive use and mine looks good and is serviced regularly but it is original to the plane (2006).
Is there a recommended replacement interval for aviation use?
Kirk

They are "lifetime" for automotive use but the airflow is a bit different coming into an automobile air cleaner system. Mine was showing some wear on the "leading edge" where the air pressure and bug hits are the most evident. I have a replacement in its box on the work bench. The original has 1120 hours and 30 years on it. Could I still use it? Yeah; but why not replace something that is relatively inexpensive....? There is some talk about using a larger version to avoid the silicon plug on the original size. Previously discussed......search K&N filters....

My RV-6 will be 24-years old in about a week. After 3,500 flying hours, I am on my third air filter. Two filters lasted 3,500 flying hours.

I replace the filter on condition. It does get cleaned and re-oiled with the kit that Van's sells. (It is less expensive from Van's than anywhere else that I can find.)

Over time in service and or flying hours, the rubber and or the filter media will deteriorate and if it looks bad, it is time to replace.

I typically have one air filter sitting on the shelf so that there is no excuse not to replace if I do not like the way it looks.

Back