What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ball Bearing Aileron Bellcrank Brackets

Sky Designs

One of the things we love about our RV’s is their exquisite control feel. Because most maneuvering happens in roll, anything that can be done to reduce friction and free-play in the aileron control system is particularly desirable.

New Product Announcement: Sky Designs has developed a set of aileron bellcrank brackets that allow for the bellcranks on RV-7, -8, -10, & -14 to rotate on ball bearings rather than bronze bushings...just like the RV-4 & 6 have always been.

The anodized brackets feature sealed ball-bearing units that are maintenance free, have essentially zero free-play, and reduce friction in the aileron control system. Large diameter flanges on the aluminum bellcrank bushings serve to keep the bellcranks fully captured between the brackets in the event of a failed bearing.

Installation even on an already finished and flying aircraft is straightforward and can be accomplished in an afternoon.

The $189 kit comes with everything you see in the photo plus a set of installation instructions. We have them in-stock and ready to ship - just in time for Valentine's Day! Go to: https://www.skydesigns.aero/products

Attachments

• BBABB-1.jpg
    BBABB-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 456
  • left side-new brckts.jpg
    left side-new brckts.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 535
Excellent!

One of the things we love about our RV’s is their exquisite control feel. Because most maneuvering happens in roll, anything that can be done to reduce friction and free-play in the aileron control system is particularly desirable.

New Product Announcement: Sky Designs has developed a set of aileron bellcrank brackets that allow for the bellcranks on RV-7, -8, -10, & -14 to rotate on ball bearings rather than bronze bushings...just like the RV-4 & 6 have always been.

The anodized brackets feature sealed ball-bearing units that are maintenance free, have essentially zero free-play, and reduce friction in the aileron control system. Large diameter flanges on the aluminum bellcrank bushings serve to keep the bellcranks fully captured between the brackets in the event of a failed bearing.

Installation even on an already finished and flying aircraft is straightforward and can be accomplished in an afternoon.

The $189 kit comes with everything you see in the photo plus a set of installation instructions. We have them in-stock and ready to ship - just in time for Valentine's Day! Go to: https://www.skydesigns.aero/products

Oh, now that’s cool!

Skylor

They seem a little thicker than the Van’s ones (on the -14 anyway). Does the extra thickness still allow for the Garmin servo bracket to work?

...and what about the -9/9A? Doesn't this model use the same brackets as the RV-7?

Something else

That's very cool. I'll give it a look. However, I've determined that most of the play in my RV-10 control system is in the part that the stick mounts to, due to the imprecise bearing built in. Essentially it's kind of a rolled piece of metal as I recall, maybe with a alum tube inserted in it. Either way, all the play I've got is limited to that part. One owner I know replaced the alum tube in it with a plastic tube that was a hair long so when it was compressed it filled up the space available and took out a lot of the play. It seems like a simple matter to build a new part that would have a better bearing. If you built it I would buy 2!

My $0.02

Highly recommend Ken

I just dealt with Ken @ Skydesigns and can attest to him being a first rate guy to deal with ! Highly recommended

torque

what happens if you over torque the bolt? is the bolt covered with a sleeve to act as a stop?

edit: forget this question. the sleeve is built into the assembly so not a problem.

Last edited:
Servo Bracket

They seem a little thicker than the Van’s ones (on the -14 anyway). Does the extra thickness still allow for the Garmin servo bracket to work?

Yes, they are thicker than the standard bellcrank brackets.

Others have also asked about compatibility with the Garmin servo bracket...attached is an illustration (pulled from the installation instructions for this kit) showing how the AP servo mounts to the "long" bracket. Because the extra thickness is away from the servo mounting surface, the only thing that needs to be accounted for is the grip length of the AN3 servo attach bolts. The little radius washers you see called-out in the illustration are provided in the kit.:cool:

Attachments

• Figure 6.jpg
    Figure 6.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 456
After having to endure a longer-than-expected wait for your titanium tailspring, I'd say you, Stew, are not only a patient guy but also very gracious. Thanks for your "seal of appeal"

Aaargghhh...

More stuff to buy!

As was previously posted, now you need to make a stick base to get rid of the play there!

Yes, they are thicker than the standard bellcrank brackets.

Others have also asked about compatibility with the Garmin servo bracket...attached is an illustration (pulled from the installation instructions for this kit) showing how the AP servo mounts to the "long" bracket. Because the extra thickness is away from the servo mounting surface, the only thing that needs to be accounted for is the grip length of the AN3 servo attach bolts. The little radius washers you see called-out in the illustration are provided in the kit.:cool:

There is actually a powder coated (steel?) brace which attaches to the aft inboard bolt hole of the servo and ties it in with the outboard most bolt on the upper bracket. It appears this is used for both Garmin and Dynon servos. So if the upper bracket is thicker where the bolt goes, it may not work with this system.
https://store.vansaircraft.com/w-00824-pc-roll-servo-brace-powder-coated-w-00824-pc.html

Section 56 refers.

Attachments

• Dynon.png
    Dynon.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Garmin.png
    Garmin.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 229
There is actually a powder coated (steel?) brace which attaches to the aft inboard bolt hole of the servo and ties it in with the outboard most bolt on the upper bracket. It appears this is used for both Garmin and Dynon servos. So if the upper bracket is thicker where the bolt goes, it may not work with this system.
https://store.vansaircraft.com/w-00824-pc-roll-servo-brace-powder-coated-w-00824-pc.html

Section 56 refers.

My impression is that the 'long bracket' in the SkyDesigns set-up is stiff enough that that brace could be omitted.

...and what about the -9/9A? Doesn't this model use the same brackets as the RV-7?

Well, it might work...on RV-9 the bellcranks are installed upside down (as compared to the other models). I need to look at a set of RV-9 wings to know for sure.

Hmmm, there's this cRaZy guy named Harmon Lange who has a set of RV-9 wings in his basement...maybe he'd let me have a look???;)

Bracket Thickness

Ken,
Looks like a very nice product. I’m wondering with the additional thickness of the brackets, will it be necessary to take additional material off the powder coated steel tubes (WD-421, RV7) to make things fit?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m wondering with the additional thickness of the brackets, will it be necessary to take additional material off the powder coated steel tubes (WD-421, RV7) to make things fit?

All the brackets' "extra" thickness is on the side opposite the bellcrank but, because of the little flanged bushings that fit into the space where the bronze bushing would otherwise be installed, it is indeed necessary to take additional material off the powder coated steel tubes.

The installation instructions explain the "measure twice, cut once" process for determining how much additional material to remove.

Good question! I hope this explanation makes sense.:)

Thanks, Ken. Makes sense. Placing an order. BTW....would be interested in RV-7 jackpoints if you decide to make those.

Last edited:
Received

Just received my Sky Designs Ball Bearing Aileron Bellcrank Bracket Kit. Very quick on delivery. Ordering was simple. Packaging very good. Product looks awesome! Can't wait to ge these on the plane!

Back