What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medford, OR (KMFR) passenger pick up

Andreas68

Going to be flying VFR into Medford, OR (KMFR) this weekend for the first time, to pick up a passenger. If you are familiar with MFR, where is the easiest place for a GA pilot to pick up a passenger [e.g. either Transient or GA parking ramps - which is better?] & how does she get thru security to the ramp without a plane ticket to validate her? For instance, can she enter thru an FBO & walk to the ramp?

Thanks for any info..

Andreas
RV-7A

medford pickup

Since Medford has commercial airline flights security is tight. Last time I tried this I had to land and go to the FBO (I think it was Atlantic) to pickup a pax They maywant to charge you a ramp fee if you don't buy some fuel. I bought fuel so no charge. Give them a call to avoid surprises. A few minutes up the road by plane is Grants Pass airport. Nice airport, friendly folks and your passenger can meet you at the transient ramp, no charge.

MFR

I used to fly survey planes out of there. I'd just recommend meeting her at Million Air. They were always great to work with.

Be sure to stop by www.ShowPlanes.com and say hi. They are on the field as well.

Another good VFR airport is Ashland Muni @ 15 miles to the SE of MFR. Keep a close eye on the wind direction and fire smoke plumes -- visibility can drop fast if the winds change direction/strength.

I can confirm that Million Air is easy to work with. It is easily accessed from the airport perimeter road (take Biddle Rd to Airport Rd to Milligan Way) and of course easy to access from the airport side once you land.
I can also confirm that Ashland is a nice alternate. VFR only.

Smoke has cleared nicely today with the switch to NW wind. I think that will hold out for a few days, but there are also a few smaller fires north of us, so those could bring some smoke in. You'll just have to watch. And of course, watch out for the TFRs. Direct rte from the north is blocked right now, you will have to go around. OH darn, you might have to fly past Crater Lake!

Last edited:
Back