What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Constant speed prop on very long X-C

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
There have been a few discussions on VAF about the de/merits of constant speed props for RVs, and this brief travelogue is about the advantages of a constant speed prop on a long trip, like Savannah, GA to North Las Vegas, NV.

New Mexico has a thriving turbulence industry, and on this trip (so far) I’ve seen the G-meter range from 0.6 – 1.5 G as the plane hits sudden up and down drafts. Not much fun, and several times I’ve made comfort stops because I was tired of getting bounced around – not the customary kind of comfort stop. And West Texas is a close second for turbulence…

With this turbulence comes up and down drafts. The good news about a constant speed prop is that you don’t have to retard throttle in an updraft to keep the prop from overspeeding as the autopilot pushes the nose over, and similarly add power in a downdraft. How frisky were the up and downdrafts? At my normal 65% power, 8 GPH, I see 151-153 KTAS. Today, with constant power setting, I saw – are you ready for this? – 137 to 170 KTAS in the up and downdrafts. But I didn’t have to touch the throttle!

For those of you with mountain flying experience, the temperature/dew point spread is an indicator of virga with potentially damaging dry microbursts. Today was virga city, all over the sky, but the good news about the over-development (as the sailplane folks say) is that there was lots of cloud shade. When I landed at Page, AZ, the temperature/dew point spread was 80°. This is twice the spread that is conducive to dry microbursts.

At Gallup, NM, a comfort stop, density altitude was 9,100 feet. The constant speed prop let the little engine that could do its thing, and that was a good thing. After breaking ground, the RV-9A skimmed the runway for a while before deciding to seriously aviate. A fixed pitch prop would have been more, well, interesting…

Lotsa good, friendly stops along the way: Athens, GA; Meridian, MS with the free hot dogs; Lubbock, TX where the Cotton Court boutique hotel is spectacular and affordable; Belen, NM with great service; Gallup, NM was friendly even though I didn’t need gas; and Classic Aviation in Page, AZ, where I am now.

Way out west, ADS-B weather is a sometimes thing whereas XM is all the time. Having only ADS-B was not a serious inconvenience, though.

A few lessons learned for really long trips – in this case six relatively short days of flying outbound, total trip duration of two weeks or however long I go, wherever it is that I’m going on the way home. First, if you’re staying overnight, hotel price and convenience will completely overshadow avgas price. Rental cars are ridiculously expensive these days.

IMSAFE does not include hydration, but it is so important. Drink water the day before, not necessarily the night before, and sip water during the flight. Do not tank up right before takeoff for obvious reasons.

Be prepared for all kinds of surface winds. At Lubbock, winds were 17G24, 30° to the runway, and the locals were not impressed. At Gallup, the winds were reported variable at 3G18, which must have been a typo. There are times that you’ll need your A game with no warning.

And when you’re sitting in the RV, getting beat up by the turbulence, you’ll have plenty of time to think of clever anecdotes to bash Cessna 172s…

Last edited:
In turbulence it is best not to fly with the altitude control turned on, especially if you get in a mountain wave.

In turbulence it is best not to fly with the altitude control turned on, especially if you get in a mountain wave.

Yup, I just hold attitude and let 'er climb when she climbs and descend in the downdrafts. Makes for an easier ride and it mostly evens out. It's those sudden hard bumps that I dislike the most.

Ed Holyoke

Get that wing up in mid-teens where it is happy - helps with the bumps, the temps, and the ADSB.

If I wanted to sit in boredom and not observe the geological wonders of the west from way too far above, I'd take the airlines... Plus my O2 system is inop, my body demands shorter hops, and ATC appreciates it when I hold altitude, especially when it's convenient for me to fly through a cloud here and there.

Different strokes...

Be prepared for all kinds of surface winds. At Lubbock, winds were 17G24, 30° to the runway, and the locals were not impressed. At Gallup, the winds were reported variable at 3G18, which must have been a typo. There are times that you’ll need your A game with no warning.

When I was stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock in the mid-nineties, the weather reporter on the local news didn’t even mention the wind unless it was above 20 mph! That was considered a light breeze. It didn’t get windy until we browned out at 30-35 mph! Odd that Chicago is considered the Windy City after living in Lubbock.

Last edited:
Crosswind

I was talking with Delmar Benjamin at Oshkosh. I asked him how much crosswind he had dealt with in the Gee Bee. He came up with some absurd number and I asked him when and where. "Yesterday at Oskhosh landing 36".
I said why didn't you land on 27. "because the Luscombe Phantom landed on 36 and if he could do it I could". The Gee Bee still survives, likely to never fly again. The Phantom is long gone.
Speaking of Gallup I was based there for five years. Our unofficial limit for wind was 75. I have landed the Cessna 414 several times with 45 degree crosswind gusting to 70.

When I was stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock in the mid-nineties, the weather reporter on the local news didn’t even mention the wind unless it was above 20 mph! That was considered a light breeze. It didn’t get windy until we browned out at 30-35 mph! Odd that Chicago is considered the Windy City after living in Lubbock.

Most don't know this, but Chicago got that nickname from it's politicians (Wind bags), not from meteorologic wind. Chicago has been notorious for corrupt politicians for well over a century.

Back