What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pusher vs. Puller Engine? Rotation

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Is there any difference between the two? Do they rotate in the same direction, just the prop is different?

Looking at an engine (o360) which was supposed to go on a pusher experiemental and want to know if it will work on my 6A.

Thanks,
D

Is there any difference between the two? Do they rotate in the same direction, just the prop is different?
Looking at an engine (o360) which was supposed to go on a pusher experimental and want to know if it will work on my 6A.
Thanks,
D

Yes & No! Engines can be built either way. That said; Almost everyone uses the "standard" rotation engine and a "left hand" prop. You need to ask the seller to be sure.
Another thing you might need to consider is the inner-cylinder baffles. Some "pusher" engines use up-draft cooling so the inner-cylinder baffles may be different.

In most cases, its just in the prop. My O235 off a Grumman worked fine in a Long EZ as long as you had the correct prop!. There are some twins that have engines that rotate counter to "standard" should be evident in the model number.

Same a it ever was

As a Cozy builder and pilot, you'll find that 99% of the engines for the pushers are the same as tractor configuration and rotate left. We do it simply based on parts availability, commonality, etc.

Baffles will be different, as most EZs cool with updraft cooling. If it is fuel injected you'll find most of the spiders on pushers located underneath in the "cooler" air, whereas you'll want it up top.

Back