What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mag vs. Light Speed

BonitaRV8

I haven't ordered my engine yet but will be doing so in about six months and I'm looking for input/direction on using P-mag or Light Speed plasma II or III. Anybody have any good preferences/arguments for or against either of the two? Currently I'm leaning towards the ECI 370 engine.

Thanks!

PMag issues

I'm just building my engine and had planned on going with A single PMag. I had designed the electrical system around it and had all but ordered it. During the past six months though, I've seen a rash of PMag failures discussed here, and only saw 1 Lightspeed issue discussed in the archive. That convinced me to buy a Lightspeed. Just one guys opinion though, no flying experience behind either one.

David

I've had both and am currently (for the last 1100hrs) flying behind Lightspeed.

I have been flying behind P-mags since 2005 and would not fit anything else. In that time there have been several versions - the latest (since 2007) is the Series 114, which seems to be much more reliable than previous versions.

To my mind the ease of installation, the low component count, the ability to be completely self contained (not relying on a battery once running) and the straight forward timing method are the significant issues. Brad & Tom are a pleasure to do business with, customer support is excellent.

Pete

P-mag's for me

I started with Slick mags, then LASAR (slick mags modified for electronic ignition), and for the last three years, Dual P-mags. IMHO the best way to go!

1) self contained and independent from Aircraft electrical system after start.
2) All eight plugs high energy firing under computer timing with .035 spark gap.
3) Compact, light, one moving part, mounts on Mag pads.
4) Incredibly easy to time and sync
5) Low cost NGK auto spark plugs (under $3.00 each.... no more cleaning plugs)

I have flown P-Mags since '07 and have had great results. They really stand behind their products, and no failures except when I pressure washed one--my bad, but they fixed it anyway.

Besides good products, they support the future of aviation. Buy one between now and Aug 15th and Eagle's Nest gets $50 toward a project or flight training for HS kids. Does that make me biased? Naaaah...

Bob

I'm a lightspeed fan. Lots of solid history and the electronics are mounted in the cabin where the environment for electronics is more friendly (cooler) than bolted to the motor.

Granted it's more work to install, but I didn't build an airplane because it was easy :D

...I had designed the electrical system around it and had all but ordered it. During the past six months though, I've seen a rash of PMag failures discussed here, and only saw 1 Lightspeed issue discussed in the archive. That convinced me to buy a Lightspeed. Just one guys opinion though, no flying experience behind either one.

David
The high component count is one reason I stayed away from the LS ignition. Regarding the failure count, it is probably still a lot better than a standard magneto. I also think, but don't know, that there are few and fewer LS ignitions being installed these days. Just a guess with no facts behind it.

I started with Slick mags, then LASAR (slick mags modified for electronic ignition), and for the last three years, Dual P-mags. IMHO the best way to go!

1) self contained and independent from Aircraft electrical system after start.
2) All eight plugs high energy firing under computer timing with .035 spark gap.
3) Compact, light, one moving part, mounts on Mag pads.
4) Incredibly easy to time and sync
5) Low cost NGK auto spark plugs (under $3.00 each.... no more cleaning plugs)

Well put Danny.

I am an early adopter of the P-mags and lived through some teething issues, which led us to develop the EICommander.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan!

Good real # comparison of EIs on EFII website

I have a dual LSE plasma II system on my -7 and had a single plasma II with slick on my 7a. I would be very tempted to go with EFII if doing it again though after seeing Robert Paisley's recent test results on his site. Looks like a very robust, high output system.

I have no experience with P-mags, but have installed a Plasma 1, and two Plasma 2's in 3 birds; Slicks on the lower plugs since Bendix mags won't fit on an EZ

Total time on the 3 systems is over 4,000 hours. I emphatically recommend you use either the std crank trigger or the new mini sensor (this might be the best) and avoid the accessory case Hall Effect Module.

I like the idea of all the electronics being in the cabin and not being exposed to powerplant heat and vibration. What I don't like about LSE is the sub-D connectors but they seem to work just fine - no problems with them. Support ith LSE is great PROVIDING you install the system per the manual and re-read the trouble shooting section before calling Klaus. My 14 will have one LSE and one Bendix magneto.

deek

Back