What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beaufort, NC (KMRH)

Don

Well Known Member
I'll try to keep this short.

This summer I dropped a friend of mine off a KMRH on the Southern Air ramp. Before my friend had exited the plane, someone from the FBO came out to charge me $10 for taxiing on their ramp. I was offered a chance to buy some minimum amount of fuel (I forget the amount) but I'd fueled up about 30 minutes earlier because I knew the fuel price at KMRH were high.

Personally I object to the fee, which as near as I could determine was only incurred if you taxied onto the Southern Air ramp. My buddy saw the problem and offered to pay the fee. I've not been back but I do have occasion to go to that area of NC on a fairly regular basis. I'm curious if there's a public ramp where I can tie down and avoid paying this fee. It's one thing to pay for over night parking but to pay $10 for a 2 minute stay seems a tad obnoxious to me.

I could go on but Southern Air sure didn't exhibit any Southern hospitality and I've sure been treated a lot better. I'd like to spend a few hours with my plane in Beaufort this weekend and was wondering if I had any options?

A different experience

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Don. It just so happens that my wife and I flew the 7 into MRH last week. I have to say that they were as nice as could be to us. The guy met us by our plane with our car, and he couldn't have been more helpful. There was a $10 per night fee, one night of which was waived due to our fuel purchase. I know how an encounter like this can put a bad taste in your mouth. I've never heard of an operator flagging down pilots on their ramp to charge fees just for taxiing on the ramp. On the other hand, I always feel like it may be worth subsidizing FBOs at target destinations like Beaufort, given the somewhat frail state of general aviation. Maybe a letter to the manager of Southern Air registering your irritation would be in order. Anyway, we loved our three day stay at Beaufort and Pine Knoll shores, and I would encourage others to keep this on your list of destinations.

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I am a local pilot in New Bern (KEWN) and, on occasion, I will fly to MRH and do some touch and goes. Inevitably, the FBO will get on the CTAF and ask how long I intend to stay. Of course, being a local, I never stay.

In any case, if you are looking for another option, you could fly into KEWN. It is a 20-30 minute drive to Beaufort, but it is a nice local airport and includes a control tower.

I rent from Tradewinds at KEWN and have not used the FBO. You may want to give Tradewinds and/or the FBO at KEWN a call to see if they charge any ramp fees.

Jim Howard

fee

I'm curious to know what becomes of the fees collected. If the airport is a general aviation airport for public use, what do you suppose the FBO does with the money? Does it go to the city or county or other owner?

$25 at Fulton County (FTY), ie Charlie Brown Airport in Atlanta.. if you keep the fan running and drop someone off, they will get your tail number and mail you a bill so I hear. I've had to pay it a few times because I didn't want to buy $8 fuel even I was there just dropping off someone or picking up someone.

I did a overnight stop at Beaufort NC last spring. While waiting for pickup after paying their fees and buying fuel I asked if I could glance at a tradeaplane to check a ad that interested me. I was told in no uncertain terms only if I purchased it. I have been using KOAJ since when flying into that area.
George

KOAJ

I'm based out of OAJ, and can verify that there are no landing fees here. If you're flying in here and need a ride somewhere just let me know.

Back