What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about setting wing incidence

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I just came back inside from trying to shovel the driveway. The wind is just to stiff right now and the sleet feels like tiny needles against my cheeks.

While putting the shovel away I noticed an RV7 project tucked off to the side of the garage. I haven't lifted a finger on it in weeks, but should spring ever show itself here I have to start setting the wing incidence.

I have a logistical issue that I am sure many of you have faced before. While my RV7 fits very nicely as a wingless fuselage it is simply not going to fit with wings on. The question is can I do the wing incidence one at a time, or is it just not practical. I've read the instructions and they assume I can get both wings on.

One wing incidence

Gil,

Yes you can do one wing at a time but it is a bit more difficult. You have to contend with out of balance fuse, etc for one wing. It is easier to drop plumb lines on both wings and check sweep at the same time if you can wait for a calm day, no snow etc. it blows building in the Midwest and our Canadian brethren must be hating life about now. Warmer WX is right around the corner... Try to focus on something else now and bang them out at the same time is a bit easie IMHO.

Yes, one wing at a time is do-able ...

I did mine that way for the same lack-of-space issue. It was really not a big deal. I did the following

1. Dropped plumb lines from the Centerline of the fuse; marked on the floor
2. Drew perpendiculars (3-4-5 triangle) on the floor from the CL at the wing leading edge location.
3. dropped plumb lines from the wing leading edge, and compared to the previous perpendiculars.
4. When square, marked and drilled.

Didn't take much time, and saved me a TON of time by not delaying all related wing work until the Big Move to the airport a couple years later.

Back