What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New EFII comparsion data of popular EI's in use

Gonzo24

Well Known Member
:confused:I happened across this post on Robert Paisley's EFII site a few weeks ago. I appreciate his thorough explanation and comparisons. looks like a good unbiased test.

http://www.flyefii.com/ignition/ignition_comparison.htm

What I don't understand is why does the Lycoming seem to run smoother on LSE when the mag is switched off and I'm running on the LSE only. The graph seems to suggest otherwise with output and spark duration of a mag proportional to RPM compared to LSE. Even at 1700 for a "mag check" one would expect a smoother engine on the mag let alone at 2400 rpm at altitude even with mag fixed advance given this data. Is it a function of spark plug type more than the output of the energy source? (Massive electrode vs. auto type)

What am I missing here?

thanks,

Last edited:
ignition timing curve

Hi Gonzo,
The ignition timing curve is a very important part of the ignition function.
Th electronic ignitions have timing curves that vary with rpm and manifold pressure. The mags have no timing curve. The fixed timing that they do provide is a worst case setting that is almost never the proper timing for any given condition.
Robert

Robert,

thanks for the explanation. Hope OSH is good to you!

Hi Gonzo,
The ignition timing curve is a very important part of the ignition function.
Th electronic ignitions have timing curves that vary with rpm and manifold pressure. The mags have no timing curve. The fixed timing that they do provide is a worst case setting that is almost never the proper timing for any given condition.
Robert

EFII during Osh

We will be in our shop making parts during Osh.
If you are ever in the Southern California area, you are welcome to visit anytime at Cable Airport,
Robert

Back