What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

API Fuel filter

Wardo

I am looking at mounting the Airflow Performance fuel filter under the floor just forward of the left gear tower. Yes, we all know that commonly the API fuel pump (for fuel injected engines) is mounted on the floor just forward of the left gear tower, but there is a space, plenty big it seems, directly under the floor that the fuel pump mounts to.

Thinking of maintenance here, wouldn't it be nice to open an access door or remove a panel from outside the aircraft to access or remove the fuel filter. This would eliminate all issues with spilling fuel in the cabin and, lets be honest here, we would all be more motivated to inspect the contents more often if it was easily accessible. Being installed with flex hose would make it even easier.

Thoughts??

Access panel

Hey Wardo. I agree with you about the access panel and fuel pump/filter. I riveted a bracket that holds the fuel filter onto the longeron that is located next to the AFP fuel pump. It is located in the left front area where the pump is. That way when I open the access panel, the filter is right there, and so is the fuel pump and the other stuff in the left forward area.

I don't have a picture because I am on a trip, but I am glad I did it and highly recommend it. Will try to post some pics when I return. Dave

Picture

Picture in ref to the previous post:
rjo65t.jpg

Last edited:
I put mine below the selector valve, between the tower and spar. Not real easy to get at, but better than many other items on the plane.

wing roots

Wardo. I have one in each wing root attached to the side fuse with 2 adel clamps each on my -7 project. like keeping the fuel out of the cockpit when servicing.

Back