What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major crack in canopy frame....

Robert M

Well Known Member
I was going through the process of putting it all together, aligning, drilling, taking apart, deburring and putting it all together again when I noticed this crack in the aft canopy frame tube.

DSC05259_sml.jpg

DSC05258_sml.jpg

DSC05257_sml.jpg

PLEASE tell me there is a fix! PLEASE tell me I can still make this work!

don't sweat it... easy fix

Hi Robert,

I broke my -7 tip up frame almost exactly in the same place doing initial fit ups. took it to an area weld shop that does nice TIG work. $20 bucks later. it was fixed.

just make sure they keep the same curvature as the other side for you when they weld.

it seems worse than it is when you hear the "Snap!"

Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear.

The scary part is that I never heard any crack - or maybe I did and didn't know what it was.

Welded it will be - thanks again.

I kinked my slider frame a couple of years ago. Before I jumped off a bridge, I ordered a new bow, cut out the kink, and had it welded. I've completed my canopy and you can't even tell. If I could have that fixed, yours should be cake.

Easy fix for the right welder

Like everyone said it's is an easy fix but make sure you get it done by someone competent with aluminum standards. :) We do it all the time in our shop but it's amazing how bad it can come out if someone tries with little or no experience with the qualities of aluminum. :eek: Pay a little more and go to a good shop where they regularly preforms aluminum repairs, not someone "who thinks he can do it". ;) And Chad's right. Make sure they use the Tig method. You'll thank yourself.

Back