What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal finish

How are your rudder pedals finished?

• Leave them raw aluminum

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Polish them

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Paint them the same as the interior

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Get them powder coated

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Put some black non-skid on them

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Davepar

Well Known Member
Here's a trivial question for the group. It's what I'm debating about at the moment. How should I finish the rudder (or actually the brake) pedals? The options look like:
  • Leave them raw aluminum
  • Polish them, but I think they'll just get scratched up in use
  • Paint them the same as the interior
  • Get them powder coated
  • Put some black non-skid on them--not sure if the non-skid is needed

Any other ideas?

Dave

pedal finish

I painted most of mine interior color, but polished the contact area.

As for you -- you should do them however makes you feel good

I just painted the same as the interior. No visible wear after 2 years and 280hrs. I don't think non skid is necessary as you want you feet to easily move up and down depending on your brake needs and foot position etc.

I used Rustoleum and painted them bright red to remind me that they are occasionally needed for aircraft operations (nose wheel). Surprisingly, they paint has not chipped off after 155 hrs of flying... could be lack of use?

New Poll: How are your rudder pedals finished?

I took the liberty of setting up a poll for this topic (a nice feature of the new forums...). It's up top on the top of this thread.

Enjoy,
dr

There is a company out of Harrison Ark that supplies Cast Rudder pedals
with the RV Logo.

I will try and locate their name.

AL SMith ;)

I painted them the same as the interior AND put non-skid on them, to protect the paint. Spruce sells clear non-skid tape.

Cast rudder pedals

I offer my cast rudder pedals in a powder coated finish a well as polished aluminum. The first run of polished aluminum pedals will be available around the end of January. You can see them at www.aero-mold.com.
Thanks
Jim Wright RV-9A 90919 wings Arkansas

Thanks for all of the ideas everybody. Jim, I like those cast pedals, but decided to just keep it simple for now. I'll most likely just paint the pedals the same as the interior.

Dave

I'm still pounding rivets, but I thought you wiped your feet off on the seat getting in. I painted mine with rustoleum.

Back