What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite Fly-in Resorts??

Phil

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

If you'd like to move this thread, I understand. But since it's not regional, I think it will get the most attention here.

At the end of July (and the 1st week of August) we're going to be taking a flying vacation. We're just not sure where we're going. We've thought of flying into Taos, NM and going to the mountains. But the Density Altitude in August may keep us out. So we're needing to alter our plans.

Q - What's your favorite fly-in resorts, or (almost) fly-in resorts.

This could turn out being a good list that we can use to generate ideas later on..

Thanks!
Phil

Phil,

From a relatively "modest" to decidedly upscale resort experience, beautiful Gaston's Resort along the White River in Northern Arkansas is hard to beat. About 406NM from KIAH you will land upon a well maintained 3200' turf runway. Pilots from near and far fly in to dine at Gaston's restaurant known for its famous Sunday brunch. Very scenic and a fisherman's paradise.

http://www.gastons.com/

Density altitude? In an RV????

At the end of July (and the 1st week of August) we're going to be taking a flying vacation. We're just not sure where we're going. We've thought of flying into Taos, NM and going to the mountains. But the Density Altitude in August may keep us out. So we're needing to alter our plans.

Phil,
As far as I'm concerned, any "favorite" fly-in resort in the continental U.S. in July or August has to be above 5000' msl. But, with an RV, so what? Taos is certainly no big deal in any RV at summer temperatures. (Given its setting in a very broad and flat valley, I would think it quite reasonable in most spam cans, as long as the pilot is prudent. Flight planning into the area is probably the bigger deal.)

Don't have an RV yet? Better keep pounding those rivets! ;)

Rick beat me to the punch on Gaston's White River Resort. Absolutely beautiful. Great restaurant and world class brown trout fishing on the river. One way in and one way out runway.
We are definitely going back there when the RV-10 changes from a fiberglass dust production machine to a flying machine.;)

Taos is a great destination. I have gone in and out in July many times in an RV8 without problem. Sedona Az is another great stop out that way. Motel rooms you can walk to and an on airport restaurant with food to die for. You can rent Jeeps right on the airport and go direct to the backcountry.

Gaston's in Arkansas is another great place but unless they have done some significant work on the runway in the last year you may well tear off your wheel pants. Last trip there it was really rough.

Don't let the DA scare you off your plane is more than capable.

if?

if, there are not fires, I like Idaho in the summer. Not as far as Alaska and lots of out doors things to do.

Thanks for some of the ideas. Unfortunately we won't be taking the RV-10, it's still a pile of aluminum and fiberglass. :mad:

However, we will be bringing a Piper Arrow. The POH charts only show performance up to 8000' DA, that's why Taos makes me a bit nervous. I called this morning (8:30AM Taos Time) and the DA was already 9,000'. It's literally off the chart for the airplane. :D I'm sure it will be significantly higher in August.

We're still searching around for some ideas. We had the last 2 years of Pilot Getaway magazines out on the coffee table last night. We'll find something.

Will you be at gross going into Taos? If not you shouldn't have a problem, just plan on departing A.M. arriving in the morning is also a good idea.
I avoid that area in the afternoons because of mountain turbulance and rain showers.

I have only gone in from the east. Plan on burning off some fuel before you get to the the hills. Check out the south route up from ABQ as well.
Fly to Springer and follow the powerlines up to Angel Fire resort. Most people I know follow the highway into Eagles Nest but it is soooo winding that it doesn't provide any emergency LZ, straight from Springer to Angel Fire has plateaus and decent places for a survivable ditching. You will only be over that area for a couple minutes. Climb to 13K before crossing, you can do it at 11500 but I like some cushion, you can drop down a bit lower after Eagles Nest.
Follow the highway west from the Eagles Nest airport through the pass. Keep right and announce transition thru the pass from Eagles Nest to Taos, it is used quite a bit. You will mostly be over the highway.
Make sure you get winds aloft before poking around in the mountains. Don't go with winds over 30.

When departing just circle out west of the airport until you have good altitude. It's pretty much flat out that way.

upscale or downscale?

For downscale, try Marble Canyon(L41). Runway is okay, but you'll have to pick your way through the rocks in the parking area. Marble Canyon Lodge is a motel/restaurant. Nice 5 mi hike down to Lee's Ferry on the Colorado River. Very short walk to the old Navajo Bridge and Interpretation Center. Cliff Dwellers(AZ03) is just down the road, but not having been there, can't endorse.

For upscale, try Tavaputs Ranch(UT09) http://www.tavaputsranch.com/rangecreek.php?m=rangecreek
Elevation 9,200ft and runway length 2,500ft -- I've never been there, maybe someone has a trip report?

Mark

Mackinac Island, MI

Phil:

Might be too far for your tastes, but I've seriously considered Mackinac Island. Not quite as far from N. GA.

Certainly cooler than S. TX. and much closer to sea level.

Gaston's in Arkansas is another great place but unless they have done some significant work on the runway in the last year you may well tear off your wheel pants. Last trip there it was really rough.

I'll throw in another vote for Gastons. Milt, I flew in last fall (late September I think) and the runway was fine. My wheel pants came out unscathed. ;)

Back