What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headsets - ANR

till3

Does anyone own or has anyone tried the David Clark ANR headsets. I believe they are model H10.XL/XP? I am considering an upgrade of my M10-13S and also adding the panel mount option.

Comments please.

In years past, 26-years ago when I started flying, David Clark was the STANDARD by which all other headsets were measured.

When it comes to ANR, BOSE is the new STANDARD by which other ANR headsets are measured.

IF David Clark ANR were as good enough to set the STANDARD as the David Clark passive headsets did, I would buy them. Many others that have purchased them have not rated them as high as the Lightspeed and other ANR headsets.

At the present time, I am flying with my Lightspeed Thirty 3G headset. There is a good chance that I will use the UPGRADE program to the new ZULU. If I do not do that, I will more than likely purchase the BOSE.

Bose, thanks

I agree with Gary, David Clark was the gold standard for many years, great product and service. But their ANR technology just isn't up to what Bose is producing. For me, it comes down to "ya gets what ya pay for."

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I've got two sets. One I've had for years when David Clark was at the top of their game. Sent it back after about three years and they repaired and returned it with no problem. Then had to send it back again after about 4 years with the same service. Now, I wouldn't mind if I had use them a lot but, I was flying turbines and mostly used a lighter wt. head set with one ear piece. The Dave Clarks sat in a protected case and flew less than 75 hours and needed to be repaired/replaced twice. The last time their attitude and service was terrible. Even so, after looking at the price of the Bose system, I decided to buy the Dave Clark H 10-13X.
I use it to tow gliders with a Pawnee 235 and fly my Supercub. I am not a happy camper - they don't work well at all and I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra bucks for the Bose. I've used Bose on other aircraft and think they work great.
I cannot speak to the quality of the top line Clarks though. But, with my experience with the one's I have - I think I could get the same performance with another brand at a lower price.

We have the Telex ANRs and really like them. Biggest problem I have with the Bose (other than cost) is they have NO passive attenuation. If you turn them off, it like not wearing anything.

I like my DC H10-13XL

I've had a pair of these for about a year now. To be honest I don't have too much time using them yet - just about 15 hours. (Hard to build and fly at the same time.) They are comfortable and work well keeping out engine noise. I bought them new for about $350 each on sale over the internet. I haven't tried the Bose, but for 1/3 the price, I thought they were a great value. I considered upgrading to the Oregon Aero ear seals but haven't feel it necessary.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
Wires, wires, wires and even more wires

We have the Telex ANRs and really like them. Biggest problem I have with the Bose (other than cost) is they have NO passive attenuation. If you turn them off, it like not wearing anything.

In my RV-4 at high indicated, the wind noise from the canopy is the predominate problem. It is higher frequency and ANR does little to counter it. I have tried several headsets and for the muff type you better have a good measure of passive to go with the active if you are going to fly high IAS in the 4.

I've had a pair of these for about a year now. To be honest I don't have too much time using them yet - just about 15 hours. (Hard to build and fly at the same time.) They are comfortable and work well keeping out engine noise. I bought them new for about $350 each on sale over the internet. I haven't tried the Bose, but for 1/3 the price, I thought they were a great value. I considered upgrading to the Oregon Aero ear seals but haven't feel it necessary.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
Wires, wires, wires and even more wires

I may have been a little too critical about my Dave Clarks. They are actually OK but, I do not think they hold a candle to the Bose system. At my age, conserving what little hearing I have left is pretty important - so spending the extra bucks is a wonderful value for the money.
BTW I wonder, would it be feasible to wear ANR's while riviting. (or is this a stupid question)? :)

I used to use some cheap shooting ear muffs while riveting. The technology seems to have improved:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...01_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20801&rid=
Pretty cool.

I may have been a little too critical about my Dave Clarks. They are actually OK but, I do not think they hold a candle to the Bose system. At my age, conserving what little hearing I have left is pretty important - so spending the extra bucks is a wonderful value for the money.
BTW I wonder, would it be feasible to wear ANR's while riviting. (or is this a stupid question)? :)

DC ANR

Thanks for all the replies. I modified my DC headsets to an aftermarket ANR retro purchased from Spruce in early 2003. I did this after comparing several ANR headsets including Bose and settled for the retro. Money and better sound quality drove my purchase. My headsets are good for my poor hearing. But, I want to upgrade to better ANR technology if that animal exists and get rid of the battery pack. My question now who has the best ANR at the best price? Also, do they make a panel mounted version or am I still married to a battery pack?

Do it yerself

I got the Headsets Inc kit and installed it in a set of those white Peltors about 7 -8 years ago. They were $149 then, and well worth it. I probably saved alot of hearing going to them when ANR was new and expensive.
Go ahead, you can build an airplane, you can solder a few bits according to the instructions, and equal the performance of the best.
My wife has a new set that for a few hundred more have stereo volume sliders and ship's power with auto off. So I think it's a matter of options and appearance.....well that's what sell cars, go figure. :rolleyes:
Scott Emery
RV-8 200Hp

Last edited:
I've used both Lightspeed 20XLC (my main headset), Bose, and Lightspeed Zulu.

I must say, I thought the Zulu was a better headset than the Bose. It seemed to be more comfortable, had at least as good of noise reduction, had more features, and was less expensive. I am a huge fan of most things Bose, but I can't say that I think their headsets are worth the money. I HIGHLY recommend Lightspeed. Whenever I've had any issues with the headset, they bend over backwards to fix the problem, no questions asked. Go Lightspeed (whatever model fits your budget) and you won't be disappointed.

Back