What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Tool Kit?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
What sort of tools or spare parts are you flying types bringing along with you (just in case...) when you leave home?
Clay Cook
N838CM reserved

All I've ever taken was the screwdriver fuel sample tool and my tow bar so I could check oil and fuel and move the plane. So far, that's all I ever needed.

Roberta

tire/wheel tools

Tools for changing a flat are a must--two small ratchets, socks, and extensions, a leatherman-type tool for removing the cotter pin, and spare tube. Or a can of fix-a-flat or Slime and a small air pump. Screwdriver/fuel sampler, as Roberta stated. Some spare fuses(if you use them). A little safety wire. A small crescent wrench.

...Continued

...and if I may expand my original question: what are you bringing out of caution or paranoia, and what are you bringing from experience or real losses and/or failures?
Clay Cook
tanks, tanks alot.

Toolkit

I carry a fairly complete set of small tools and have used it several times while far from home, for jobs ranging from missing screws to a broken fuel cap to removing an alternator. It includes screwdrivers, sockets, needle-nose Vise-Grip, wrenches, "special tools", a cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench, tube patch kit, some safety wire, Locktite, RTV, a spare fuel cap, and of course, duct tape. It also has a small fishing lure box with various screws, nuts, bolts, fuses, etc.

All of this fits (barely) into one of those toolboxes that Van's sells as "practice" kit, which is secured to the aft baggage shelf with piano hinges. It weighs about 10-12 pounds, which improves the solo CG in my RV-8 noticeably.

Duct Tape?

All I've ever taken was the screwdriver fuel sample tool and my tow bar so I could check oil and fuel and move the plane. So far, that's all I ever needed.

Roberta

Same as Roberta and I have mostly only needed the fuel sampler end. The tow bar is a must. I could get stuck but airports are full of people that help..........lots of RV folks out here that are nice and willing to give a hand. I have dual alternators so I am not worried about the electrical and if the ignition or engine quits it pretty much is a bigger job than a few carry on tools. Think of the flights that you are taking or are apt to take..............how many of them will be to a place where you don't know someone? Maybe at a fuel stop but even those usually have RV folks or other helpful pilots. Taking the RV "White Pages" may be of use in a pinch.;)

I bring a LOT of stuff and haven't used any of it since my 2nd flight.

Lowes sells (or sold) a nylon tool bag and in that I have a small 1/4" Sears drive set with deep sockets, some safety wire & pliers, small needle nose pliers, and cutters, some stubby ratcheting wrench, an extra quart of oil, my fuel sampler, multi-point screwdriver, electrical tape, zip ties, and some baby chalks I made out of some AA. I can change a mag or tire with what I have.

With 90.9 hours on the -9 I'm beginning to wonder why I bring that stuff but with a 760 lb useful load, I can afford to bring it.

Depends..

.....where I'm headed. If it's to an EAA breakfast/lunch fly-in...no tools..they have plenty there.:)

Off to the Outer Banks of North Carolina with not even an FBO there at the desolate strip?...then plenty of tools.

Regards,

Back