What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catalina

I was just at Catalina last week. The runway is in great condition (newly refurbished by the USMC) and the restaurant is open. Shuttle service to Avalon is of course available and reliable. But one thing you might consider if staying overnight is mountain bikes. I ask the mountain bike shop in Avalon to leave a couple bikes for me at the base of the airport "tower". Then we ride down the mountain into Avalon, return the bikes, and then stay in one of the nice little hotels. Next morning it's a quick van ride back up to the airport.

I was just at Catalina last week. The runway is in great condition (newly refurbished by the USMC) and the restaurant is open. Shuttle service to Avalon is of course available and reliable. But one thing you might consider if staying overnight is mountain bikes. I ask the mountain bike shop in Avalon to leave a couple bikes for me at the base of the airport "tower". Then we ride down the mountain into Avalon, return the bikes, and then stay in one of the nice little hotels. Next morning it's a quick van ride back up to the airport.

Thats an awesome idea. Youve done this? Remember how much they charge?

Thats an awesome idea. Youve done this? Remember how much they charge?

I sure have. Contact Brown's Bikes in Avalon. It's $30 per bike for the whole day. You'll also need to pay fees for Catalina Conservancy permits. This is a requirement to hike, bike, camp, etc in the interior of the island. The nice thing is the bike shop will already have the permits attached to the front of the mountain bikes. Just hop on and go!

I sure have. Contact Brown's Bikes in Avalon. It's $30 per bike for the whole day. You'll also need to pay fees for Catalina Conservancy permits. This is a requirement to hike, bike, camp, etc in the interior of the island. The nice thing is the bike shop will already have the permits attached to the front of the mountain bikes. Just hop on and go!

Great tip thanks

Back