What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hi Fold Doors

FLY6

Well Known Member
Patron
Since this is where my RV6 is housed, I believe this is RV related. Has anyone figured out a way on a bifold door to stop rain water from running off the top half, onto the inside of the bottom when the door is in the open position. Could effect the insulation when I install insulation depending on type. Had the door up while it was raining resulting in the front 3 feet or so getting wet.

Not sure where the problem is. My Hi-Fold doors don't do that. When my doors are open the top skin sticks out beyond the bottom door. Maybe a wind problem?

Door Trim

That may be my problem. My door has a ?J? type trim where the top sheeting terminates. This means my top sheeting even with bottom support for the top half. Poor design.

I don't think it is a design problem as much as an installation error. My Hi-Fold doors do not call for a "J" channel on the top door. The top door sheeting simply overlaps the bottom door by 1.5".

One of my doors is over 17 years old and the other is just over 3 years.

After a lot of shopping around, I will be ordering a 44X13 Hi-Fold door within the next several weeks. These doors do not include the exterior sheeting therefore the owner is responsible for completing that portion of the installation. My research indicates that "J" type flashing should be used at the top of the upper panel, while "Z" type flashing is required on the top of the lower panel. I think the incorrect flashing is funneling the water inside your hangar.
https://i.postimg.cc/1XV2sF5T/Screenshot-20200529-093233.jpg
(https://postimg.cc/0b4XT21x)
Schweiss has this flashing available.

Last edited:
Z trim

Thanks for the reply guys, I?m not 100% sure mine is a Hi Fold although I think it is, the title was actually a misprint.
I did not build the hangar so I had no instruction but I think your diagram will give me something to check out. I can?t tell for sure on the diagram, is the z trim attached to the bottom panel?

No "Z" channel on either of my bottom doors. Just a simple 1.5" overlap.

Thanks for the reply guys, I?m not 100% sure mine is a Hi Fold although I think it is, the title was actually a misprint.
I did not build the hangar so I had no instruction but I think your diagram will give me something to check out. I can?t tell for sure on the diagram, is the z trim attached to the bottom panel?

The "Z" trim attaches to the top edge of the bottom panel..

My hi-fold door skin is the same as Mel's. Never had a water problem. The top skin overlaps the bottom when closed. No bottom trim on top and no top trim on bottom. Also, the top edge of the bottom skin is installed with pop rivets to allow the skins to lay flush and prevent screw heads from deforming the top skin.

Wrong flashing

I think my trim is incorrect. As Jake stated, it is funnelling the water back into my door. Thanks again for your input.

My hi-fold door skin is the same as Mel's. Never had a water problem. The top skin overlaps the bottom when closed. No bottom trim on top and no top trim on bottom. Also, the top edge of the bottom skin is installed with pop rivets to allow the skins to lay flush and prevent screw heads from deforming the top skin.

This sounds like a water shed moment for Diamond door owners thinking of starting with a better cladding plan. Humour aside, I believe thick insulation presents a fastening challenge, especially on wider span doors with high wind loading regions.

As well explained as the flush riveting is on the top of the bottom skin, it would be tricky with a 2" layer of insulation between the skin and the door frame, and the thicker the insulation, the greater the overlap in cladding would need to be in order to run the water past the gap.

BTW, you'll note Hi-Fold has some weight limits on their doors. It is not hard for inner and outer skin and insulation to get pretty close to the weight limit. It did on one of my Hi-Fold doors.

Insulation

Thanks for the heads up Jim, when I get to insulating the door, I think I will just use some sort of rigid insulation that won?t absorb water. I hope to be able to stop the water problem just the same.

Back