What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy shades

Low n Slow

Well Known Member
If everything goes as planned, my partner and I will be taking possession of our new (to us) flying RV-4 on Saturday. But with summer fast approaching, I was thinking of ways to keep out of the sun.

Although I?ve recently seen pics of a RV-8 with a cut-down version of a RV-6 type of shade (center spine with horizontal spokes) , I see very few RV-4?s with any sort of canopy shade.

I have seen a pic of what looked like a 6 to 9 inch wide strip of shaded plastic film running along the top of the canopy. Has anyone tried this and might know a source?

Other than the film or a big hat, are there any other options available?

Thanks again for any info!
Tom

Last edited:
The Cheap Way.....

I went to Walmart and bought a pair of suction-cup shades - the kind with a wire rim that fold up small and pop back into shape. I use them on top of each other in the -8, and they do seem to cut down on the direct sun heat...It's certainly a cheap option to try!

Paul

Low n Slow said:
If everything goes as planned, my partner and I will be taking possession of our new (to us) flying RV-4 on Saturday. But with summer fast approaching, I was thinking of ways to keep out of the sun.

Although I?ve recently seen pics of a RV-8 with a cut-down version of a RV-6 type of shade (center spine with horizontal spokes) , I see
very few RV-4?s with any sort of canopy shade.

I have seen a pic of what looked like a 6 to 9 inch wide strip of shaded plastic film running along the top of the canopy. Has anyone tried this and might know a source?

Other than the film or a big hat, are there any other options available?

Thanks again for any info!
Tom

You can get the plastic film from Sporty's and I bought 4 of the large ones and they work really well keeping the direct sun off of you. You have to make sure you get the right side to stick, but once you get them, they hold, unless you open the canopy while taxiing and forget you had it up there. Then it gets blown out, yes I speak from experience. I just now ordered the Koger, for a more permanent solution, but you have to remember to pull it back before you open the canopy while taxiing. Good luck.

homemade sunscreens

I purchased one of the suction cup sunshades from Rosen at Sun'n'Fun last year, but it was getting tattered. Couldn't find a replacement on the Rosen website, so ordered this "Sun Stoppers Pop Open Window Sunshade 1272" from www.familyonboard.com, cut the existing suction cups off, stuck patches of Gorilla Tape on both sides, cut a couple of holes, installed metal grommets and slipped suction cups through the grommets. Works well and this model is about as long as you would want in an 8.
Mark

Shades

Some time back I saw a photo of Mel Asbery's A/C, N168TX. and thought it was worth saving, so it now resides as my desktop background. He has done a masterful job of covering the top of his tip up with paint & modifying the rear quarter plexiglas opening. I can't find the picture again, but if Mel reads this and has a picture, it surely would be nice for anyone else to see that work. I suspect that would do a great job of mediating the greenhouse effect.
Harold, RV9A tip-up, wiring the aft fuselage

redbeardmark said:
I purchased one of the suction cup sunshades from Rosen at Sun'n'Fun last year, but it was getting tattered. Couldn't find a replacement on the Rosen website, so ordered this "Sun Stoppers Pop Open Window Sunshade 1272" from www.familyonboard.com, cut the existing suction cups off, stuck patches of Gorilla Tape on both sides, cut a couple of holes, installed metal grommets and slipped suction cups through the grommets. Works well and this model is about as long as you would want in an 8.
Mark
Thanks I think I'll be trying one of these or the film. Have you seen this elongated one they sell?
Sun Stop Rear Window Sunshade $9.00 883, Apx. 33 inches wide by 13 inches tall
Tom

Last edited:
Low n Slow said:
Thanks I think I'll be trying one of these or the film. Have you seen this elongated one they sell?
Sun Stop Rear Window Sunshade $9.00 883, Apx. 33 inches wide by 13 inches tall
Tom

Tom,
Yes, I installed three grommets/suction cups evenly spaced in the elongated one and tried it out this past weekend. It is nice and stays put. I made a couple of the smaller, more rectangular ones also because they were so similar in size to the one that Rozen made. It looks like the elongated one will be the sunshade of choice in the Nevada sunshine.
Mark

Canopy - possible fiberglass solution to sun and heat

The Tucson sun and an incident of cancer require a permanent solution for the sun & the heat which can be removed (someday) by the next owner of my 9 slider. My thought is to mold several layers of fiberglass inside the canopy while the canopy is upside down on the workbench. Before the fiberglass layers get hard, we would embed rods into the fiberglass which would poke into holes into the canopy frame.

In other words, use the upside down canopy plexi as the mold for a somewhat permanent roof that blocks UV and heat but hugs the canopy. With a thin layer of fabric and fire retardent foam glued to the new roof, noise would be reduced too.

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions, especially from anyone who has experimented with the idea.

I think the UV protection is very good in Van's canopy's. The reason I say this is because my photo-gray glasses won't darken they stay perfectly clear. And I have to wear sunglasses over them. If I lift the canopy up they darken instantly. I think they are supposed to be UV activated. Any body have any thoughts on this? I use a sun screen available in the aviation department of Wal-Mart. It is about 12"X18" and held on with suction cups. It folds up into a small 6" circle for storage.

99% UV Filter Canopy

I believe the canopy is made from poly carbonate (Plexi Glass is just a brand name) which filters near 99% of UV light. I don?t sunburn under the canopy but burn quick when out on a hot sunny day.

Polycarbonate?

Somehow, I was under the impression that the canopy was acrylic. And acrylic doesn't block much UV---which explains the sunburn when flying during winter(bright sunshine and reflection off of the snow) if not wearing a sunblocker. Here's a Wiki on acrylic Plexiglass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_glass

Slather on chemical sunblock and put up a sunshade of some type for those long cross country trips.

Mark

I believe the canopy is made from poly carbonate (Plexi Glass is just a brand name) which filters near 99% of UV light. I don?t sunburn under the canopy but burn quick when out on a hot sunny day.
The common brand name for polycarbonate is Lexan. Supplied RV canopies are acrylic, Plexiglas, unless you got yours from another source.

Norman

I'm not yet familiar with Van's canopies, but are you describing the qualities of a tinted canopy? I'm talking to Todd about his product and wondering if this UV protection is due to tinting or something in the clear product from Van. Also we wondered what makes those glasses darken - is it light intensity or UV or both? :confused:
Thank you.

Last edited:
Fly High...

Having flown my RV4 for 14 years in the SE USA my rule in summer is: Fly High! I use 5500 feet as a base alt when it's above 80F and like it even higher 8500 or above if I'm traveling over 300 miles. It's less bumpy, better visibility and lots cooler. I lived in NOCAL for 2 years and flew in and out of OAK quite a bit. I found CA is cooler overall temperature wise but does have an inversion sometimes, ie, hotter/higher. Also, TAS is better and you can lean more up there, a win-win.

As mentioned previously, wear a hat, lots of sunscreen and open the vents and when it's hot, go high.

Rob Ray

Vans canopy - UV light filter

I sent an email to Ken Scott at Vans concerning how much or IF Vans canopy filters UV. Pls note his reply.

Hi Ken.

Is the canopy made from poly carbonate and does it filter 99% of UV light? Barry

No, the canopy is a clear acrylic, not a polycarbonate. I have no idea how much UV it filters.

"Ken Scott" <
Subject: Date sent: Mon, 28 May 2007 02:15:44 -0700

Sun Spots

I have been flying in clear top canopy planes for 20 years or so (Grumman, Pitts canopied bipes and RVs). I stumbled across a "static cling" product years ago that really works. It's called "Sun Spots" and is a clear static cling with small black dots. It blocks about 60% of direct sun light, but still lets you mostly see through it. If you look at your car's windshield (most of them) close to the frame, you'll see a very similar effect. They actually screen print the dot pattern on the windshield to help block light and make it look like a clean installation. I have found these "spots" at Wal-Mart (although not all of them) and at several Ford dealerships in the parts department. They come in panels about 15' x 12" and are rolled up. Once applied they are almost permanent. But, they can be taken off, cleaned and re-applied. They can also be cut to fit. I used two of them in the top of my 6A (side by side) and two of them in my bipe (front and back).
Good Luck!

Back