What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank to fuse vent line

Blain

Well Known Member
Wondering how others have fabricated this line. Radius using a bender places it above the gap seal. Almost looks like the bulkhead fitting should have been straight to allow for a gentler bend.

Older kits

I think maybe the newer kits have changed a little. I will have to look, but on the older kits that front bracket has a lightering hole cut in it and we just went through that hole to a 90* bend at the end of that vent tube leg. It has been a while and I don't look at it but once a year, so I would look at the drawings that you have. If it gives you the option to have the hole there, and you feel comfortable doing it, get rid of that weight and have a straighter shot at that bulked fitting. Again if I remember correct that bulked fitting came straight out on our older kits. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

PS. I would not leave that split joint bolt as is, Go by the plans with the washers, carter keys, and low binding force so that joint will separate at impact the way it is designed to do. Hopefully none of us will ever need it to, but if you ever do need it to that is what it's there for.

Last edited:
I think maybe the newer kits have changed a little. I will have to look, but on the older kits that front bracket has a lightering hole cut in it and we just went through that hole to a 90* bend at the end of that vent tube leg. It has been a while and I don't look at it but once a year, so I would look at the drawings that you have. If it gives you the option to have the hole there, and you feel comfortable doing it, get rid of that weight and have a straighter shot at that bulked fitting. Again if I remember correct that bulked fitting came straight out on our older kits. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

PS. I would not leave that split joint bolt as is, Go by the plans with the washers, carter keys, and low binding force so that joint will separate at impact the way it is designed to do. Hopefully none of us will ever need it to, but if you ever do need it to that is what it's there for.

Plans show routing through lightening hole if using flop tube or 3rd line return, cant remember which. And the ship is still at home. Wings have to come off for the trip. Final assembly will be per design.

Alternatively you could just forget taking the vents into the fuselage...

Works great...

Alternatively you could just forget taking the vents into the fuselage...

Works great...

Already have Vans vents installed. Should have went that way to begin with. Maybe on the next build......

So had a Pow Wow with Tom Sweringen this AM. Here is the result;

Already have Vans vents installed. Should have went that way to begin with. Maybe on the next build......

So had a Pow Wow with Tom Sweringen this AM. Here is the result;

That's what I would have done and nice to know Tom apparently agrees.

Bevan

New twist

So going through my airworthiness program letter. One of the check points is,
(going by memory as to the exact wording) "Fuel tank vents, no loops"....

So that got me to thinking about Vans design going over the top, no low areas, lines will gravity drain. (If you haven't seen this whole thread, skim it, you will understand)

So what if...parked with 1/2 tanks, humid day. Condensation collects in the low point in vent tube. Below freezing night. Early flight. Will it quit on run up or just after the end of the asphalt?

Previous posters show images of multiple loops inside root area. What am I missing?

Just caught this post, Robert. Wings had to come back off for transport. Final assembly per design. Thanks for pointing it out.

I wasn't happy with my first one so I made a second and I was able to massage the bend by hand closer to the fitting.

Back