What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

125HP 3 cylinder Ford Engine

Had to use Google to find some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

Paste / Quote from above link follows:
Ford has announced a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine for the EcoBoost family developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in the UK. Production is to start in April 2012. The 1.0 comes initially in two versions: 74 kW (101 PS; 99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (120 to 125 PS; 118 to 123 hp). The more powerful version delivers a maximum of 170 N?m (125 lb?ft) from 1,300?4,500 rpm and 200 N?m (148 lb?ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to on-road diesel engines. The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up, at the expense of additional weight.[12][13] Due to natural vibrations of a 3-cylinder design, the flywheel has been deliberately unbalanced to ensure smooth running, without the use of energy sapping balance shafts. The engine also features an internal timing belt, bathed in the engine oil, for long life and greater efficiency. The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head, reducing warm up times and therefore further aiding efficiency. All this is packaged in an engine block the size of an A4 sheet of paper.[14]With the introduction of 2013 Ford Fiesta facelift, Ford introduced naturally aspirated version of 1.0 EcoBoost engine. There are two versions producing 65 hp and 80 hp, both engines uses DI and Ti-VCT like turbocharged versions, start-stop technology is available too. There is no official name for this version of 1.0 l engine, Ford brands it in the official specification press simply Ti-VCT.
The engines are produced in Cologne, Germany and Craiova, Romania with production to later expand in Chongqing, China. Production is expected to be 700,000?1,500,000 units per year. The engine is available in Ford Focus, the Ford Focus-based C-MAX and Grand C-MAX, and the Fiesta-based B-Max. Ford has claimed it may be available in the future for the North American markets.[15]
Ford has announced that this engine will be available for the American market starting with the all-new 2014 Ford Fiesta Sedan and Hatchback. It was announced at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, when the car featuring it was introduced.

What does just the block and cylinders (without heads) weigh on an O-235 or O-320 Lycoming? I'd think not much more than 52 lbs.

...for comparison purposes.

It's all the other "stuff" that's heavy.

As a PR gimick they put this engine block in carry on luggage and brought it to the LA Auto show last year.

What does just the block and cylinders (without heads) weigh on an O-235 or O-320 Lycoming? I'd think not much more than 52 lbs....

I don't know about a Lycoming four, but the case for the Continental O-470, a largish six cylinder engine, isn't really very heavy. I can lift it easily.

And the aluminum case for my 1918 six-cylinder Anzani engine is probably no more than 10 or 15 pounds.

Dave

Back