What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans has a sense of humor

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
The end is near and Vans just now in the Firewall Forward shows a sense of humor in this step. Truly this can't be the only buried joke.

Capture-13.png

For the image impaired, they make reference to a marsupial being interested in the plane.

Van was being nice

I think Van used the term marsupial to mean "guys at airshows who like to poke thier fingers in places they shouldn't"

So, wait... a curious marsupial poking at your aircraft wouldn't be dead... he's just...

wait for it...

plane possum.

The very end of the instructions for the wheel pants say something like they're now ready to be installed and "begin a hard, hard life". :)

There are some other funny comments sprinkled around in the instructions...

I'm gonna' blame Ken Scott, their resident "creative writer".... ;)

I'm going to vote Ken Scott too...

My personal favourite (though I can't recall exactly where I saw it) "...break the edges of the spar with a vixen file or something similarly abrasive like a teething child or your mother-in-law"

Van does a bit of gliding competitively in Australia, and has a healthy respect for the Kangaroo population :D

Lunch money

Back in the day when we all made at least two elevator trim tabs, :( the accessories catalog described the replacement kit as "Vans lunch money"

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Vans

When the instructions on bending the longerons tell you if it does not bend " Get a Bigger Hammer " . The fuselage slow build 8 .
Tom

lots of humor

There is a lot of humor throughtout Vans company. I especially like the coment about the mother in law or some other abraceive tool...someone mentioned. Those guys have to put up with all our dumm ??s I bet a good sence of humor is 'required' to work there.
I think we all need to try and keep laughing, the pain of the price 100LL is quickly forgotten when we meet for beers at the Brothers tent at Oshkosh. Or Vans banquet. See you there!

Last edited:
Yep ... Some humor to break up the day ...

I found funny comments - some tongue-in-cheek, some tongue-out-of-cheek - sprinkled all thru the written instructions. They always made me laugh, and sometimes broke the stress of a particularly difficult step or task. Much appreciated! :D

Hidden Messages

It's like being at Disney World looking for "hidden Mickey's". Makes you pay attention and look for detail.

They not only make them, but I have a couple that are labeled "dual purpose", and will work for both SAE, and metric.:D

In the RV-10 Plans, on the same diagram that shows the "metric crescent wrench", (pg 29-10, Fig 1) the caption reads:

FIGURE 1: TWISTING THE LWR FUSE CHANNELS
(SWEATY GRUNTING HUMAN NOT SHOWN FOR CLARITY)

the left handed ones are used in the southern hemisphere right?

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
:D

wheel pants say something like they're now ready to be installed and "begin a hard, hard life".

Vans aren?t joking about the hard life of wheel pants. We have repaired ours twice in as many years.
Having built a slow build 7 there is plenty of humour in the big book of words ! it helps keep your mental state in line over the years spent in the workshop :rolleyes:

This is the latest repair i have done this week... just before primer and paint

Ken

I saw Ken the other day.
I think he has been waiting for a long time for us to find this one....
Jim Frisbie
Rv-9A

purchased metric crescent wrench from HF

I purchased metric crescent wrench from HF. It is solar powered and includes a cigarette lighter and LED light but the included batteries only last for one cigarette.

Metric crescent wrench

I purchase a special metric/sae crescent wrench that can be used at any angle on all three axis. The only problem is it has a tendency to over tighten nuts.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV-9A N942PT

Back to the future

Back in the day when we all made at least two elevator trim tabs, :( the accessories catalog described the replacement kit as "Vans lunch money"

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Have those days really gone by?? ;)

Vans transition training

Emergency operations.
At the instructor?s sadistic pleasure.:p

Back