What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SAU insurance

erikpmort

Well Known Member
Hello all,

a very exciting time, we have purchased a nice 6a and are now on the insurance step.

after quite a few quotes skysmith quoted me 1045$ through a company called sau. http://www.sauinsurance.com/ They were the cheapest by quite a bit, but i know cheapest isn't always the best. Does anyone have any positive or negative information, personal claim history or other that can help me make my decision?

Having worked around insurance adjusters i'm just scared. i know you can get someone who will dig through your stuff to try to find a reason not to pay and there are others that just write you a check and take the plane.

aopa was 1500ish.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions. ps i have read through a lot of topics on insurance in the forums and haven't been able to find anything about SAU

Erik

SAU has been around in one form or another for a number of years. They've always been a "specialty" insurer, focusing on odd ball stuff - Experimentals, warbirds, eastern bloc jets, etc. As a market they seem to come on strong and then fade away - no doubt due to the ebbs and flows of their reinsurance backing, which is hard to keep consistant for a small market insurer.

I'd pay the extra couple hundred bucks and stay with one of the big companies. You'll find pricing more stable and cosistant, and claims handling with an AIG or Global Aerospace will be far and away better than with SAU - who farms out claims habdling to a contractor.

My $0.02 - worth what you paid for it.

AOPA is a broker, just like Nationair, Skysmith, Falcon etc. They are NOT their own insurer.

Back