What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quiet Technologies Halo Headphones Recommendation

rvanstory

Well Known Member
While at Oshkosh my wife wanted to get a new headset that was more "comfortable" for her. Stopped at Quiet Technologies booth to look at their Halo headset.

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=12

After 3 other pilots told us their stories about how much they love these, we both bought a set. All 3 pilots recommend "fitted" ear plugs over the standard foam ones, so I found this inexpensive option for custom ear molds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKTNNW7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Flew for 1st time with them the other day. WOW!!! I was truly shocked! The noise canceling (passive, not active) was just as good as my Lightspeed Zulu's. But the sound quality was 10 times better!!! I have XM radio in my plane through audio panel. Sound has always been marginal (at best) with headsets. The Halo's sound like my in home Bose headsets (maybe better). The sound quality coming into my ears was a noticeable improvement all around.

For anyone looking to go lightweight on headsets, I recommend these! One thing I really like about the Halos, NO BATTERIES! Fire up the plane, the headsets are working. No on/off switches, no dead batteries.

Plus, a shout out to their support! When I got home from OSH, realized that one set of headphones was missing the 90 degree adaptors in the case. Emailed them, 3 days later, got a package with not 1, but 3 new sets of ear tubes with adaptors!!

Attachments

• IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 201
Another Halo fan

I've been an evangelist for these guys for years. I'm proud to report that my work has resulted in two sets of Boses being listed on eBay. :)

In my view, if you are okay with in-ear (and some aren't, comfort is subjective), in-ear headsets are just flat out a better mousetrap. The Ace Copilot also REALLY appreciates that the Halo, unlike the old clamps, doesn't mess up her hair.

Oh and with in-ear I can easily wear the ridiculous hats needed to prevent my skin from incinerating.

I have not tried the other in-ear brands but I'm sure they offer the same advantages.

One caveat is that if I were a CFI, and donning and doffing a headset frequently during the day, I'd probably stick with an old-school headset.

I own both a set of Halos and a CQ1. I like both, very much.

Both are extremely comfortable. My non-scientific middle-aged hearing says the sound quality is about the same.

CQ1 gets an extra point because the boom is the proper length.

Halo gets an extra point because, in my opinion, the mic is less directionally picky and I can break squelch and talk a little easier with it.

CQ1 has better build quality.

Halo has independently-adjustable volumes.

Both have given me excellent service.

CQ1 gets an extra point because the boom is the proper length.

Halo gets an extra point because, in my opinion, the mic is less directionally picky and I can break squelch and talk a little easier with it.

CQ1 has better build quality.

Bill, If you prefer for the mic to be more sensitive, you can simply turn the mic gain up on the CQ1. Every person and airframe environment is different, and I've always felt like others are shipping mics that are simply too hot. The CQ1 has a user adjustable mic gain control. The others are fixed.

Thank you for being a customer. Shoot us an email if you need any more info.

One thing I learned about my QT headset (which I also love).... be sure every flight to position the Mic so the flat portion faces your mouth. Makes a big difference on Mic sensitivity and ability for others to understand clearly.

Great buy!

One thing I learned about my QT headset (which I also love).... be sure every flight to position the Mic so the flat portion faces your mouth. Makes a big difference on Mic sensitivity and ability for others to understand clearly.

Great buy!

I also like my QT headset, very comfortable on long flights. My only issue is with the positioning of the mic, as it constantly moves away from my mouth and I find myself holding it close to my face with one hand while talking or others won't understand clearly.

I had that problem

It's done that to me as well. It helps to occasionally bend the headset band to make more of a "V" out of it (if that makes sense).

I also frequently wear one of those lightweight stretchy neck gaiter/facemask things like the fisherman use. It wards off the sun, keeps the mic right where it's supposed to be, and protects my identity in case I'm observed making a **** landing.

I also like my QT headset, very comfortable on long flights. My only issue is with the positioning of the mic, as it constantly moves away from my mouth and I find myself holding it close to my face with one hand while talking or others won't understand clearly.

The issue of the mic moving away on the QT is especially a problem while flying formation.

For this reason I bought the CQ1. Haven’t tried them yet but if they (CQ1) work as advertised my QT’s while be available as a spare or maybe I’ll sell them.

The issue of the mic moving away on the QT is especially a problem while flying formation.

For this reason I bought the CQ1. Haven’t tried them yet but if they (CQ1) work as advertised my QT’s while be available as a spare or maybe I’ll sell them.

Thank you for your confidence Charlie. I believe this is a critical detail that we completely solved with the CQ1.

Still in place after a loop - https://fb.watch/7tiJd5HDOz/

Last edited:

Thank you for your confidence Charlie. I believe this is a critical detail that we completely solved with the CQ1.

I am a huge fan of Halo headsets aside from the single issue of mic moving away during formation flying/greater G flying. Halo support has been stellar, with repairs being made at no cost years after the sale.

However, I would like to learn more about the improvements for formation flying and mic boom position with the CQ1 product. Design seems quite similar - how was that accomplished?

Back