What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

N941WR

Legacy Member
Watching the discussion on the RV-4A really brought this saying to the forefront.

Every time I look at a Skyhawk I wonder if we would think it was a good looking plane, if it wasn't so common. (Ok, "good looking" might be the wrong term for the 172 but it isn't ugly.)

The RV lineage is good looking, just not gorgeous, with one exception, in my eye. This is saying a lot when you consider they are mostly straight lines. Other airplanes of similar design and construction material don't pull it off, say the Zenair 601/650 for example.

Zodiac_e2.jpg

The side-by-side RV's all look good as either a tail dragger or with a nosewheel.

However, add a nosewheel to an RV-8 and all I can think of is (sorry folks):
triPacer22-108_e2.jpg

In my humble opinion, the best looking homebuilt ever designed (I'm not talking about performance, just looks.) is:
ext1.jpg

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the best and worst looking homebuilts? (There are plenty of ugly and gorgeous production planes but for this exercise, let's leave those out.)

6633894845_9cca54c334_b.jpg

Piper Tri-Pacer is a nice flying plane (looks acquired taste).... and that nose wheel is built like a steel bridge, it never will fold up.

Last edited:
Looks

Pretty, but the specs say “Day VFR, no aerobatics.” Looks like Van’s wins again! :cool:
True, but I thought it was only about looks! If it's looks and utility and cost, well, the RV-8 is the clear winner! :D

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fa3.jpg

Last edited:
Even though a nose dragger, it's a 10.

03.jpg

Regarding the Tri-Pacer, it's pretty awkward looking. But its cousin the Pacer is a fine looking airplane.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what do you consider the best and worst looking homebuilts? (There are plenty of ugly and gorgeous production planes but for this exercise, let's leave those out.)

There are myriad ugly homebuilts out there, but far be it from me to criticize *anyone* who has completed their own airplane.

(But remember the old adage...if it's weird, it's French; if it's ugly, it's British; and if it's weird AND ugly, it's Russian :) ).

Watching the discussion on the RV-4A really brought this saying to the forefront.

Every time I look at a Skyhawk I wonder if we would think it was a good looking plane, if it wasn't so common. (Ok, "good looking" might be the wrong term for the 172 but it isn't ugly.)

The RV lineage is good looking, just not gorgeous, with one exception, in my eye. This is saying a lot when you consider they are mostly straight lines. Other airplanes of similar design and construction material don't pull it off, say the Zenair 601/650 for example.

Zodiac_e2.jpg

The side-by-side RV's all look good as either a tail dragger or with a nosewheel.

However, add a nosewheel to an RV-8 and all I can think of is (sorry folks):
triPacer22-108_e2.jpg

In my humble opinion, the best looking homebuilt ever designed (I'm not talking about performance, just looks.) is:
ext1.jpg

BILL,
John (snopercod) bought you lunch at GMU recently didn't he.... :)

I think the make and model is the "Corona Covid-19"

oCy.jpg

Possibly Cessna's first attempt at an agg plane with those spray booms.
Later they gave the design team a chance to redeem themselves and it evolved into the 337 push and pull?

What is it, really Gash?

Back