What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

scrap aluminum

mbishop

Well Known Member
I've been looking around websites like Aircraft Spruce, etc that might offer some scrap aluminum for sale and I'm not having much luck. Didn't really want to buy entire sheets just to try a few things out.

See if you canf ind a local metal or scrap metal distributor in your area. They usually sell their cut off pieces by the pound. FYI, for example, in FtWorth there is a place called discount steel that sells aluminum. It may not necessarily be the alloy you want, but for practice it is a good way to go.

old airplanes?

not to be smart-aleck Mark, but airports? Marine repair shops?

ours has a place that fixes floats.....lots of them are pulled apart, so scrap bins full of stringers and skins etc. Not a huge variety of stuff, but free, or a case of beer gets all you want!
Another outfit used to rebuild Islanders....so a TON of strange but wonderful ( to air-geeks) parts and pieces end up in their dumpster.
Funny, but quite a few parts have ended up on my old lawnmower etc.....but I am preachin' to the choir aren't I!?

As Perry says, a GA maintenance shop at a nearby airport will almost certainly have a scrap box full of 2024-T3 offcuts, and could probably sell you larger pieces cut to size.

Back