What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip Planning Advice Request.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Laura and I are in the very early stages of planning a late spring or early summer trip to visit Colorado.

Specific goals are to ride the Silverton/Durango railway, visit Mesa Verde, fly to Leadville.

I am looking for hints/thoughts/ideas etc for this trip. What airports are good, where is a good place to stay, eat etc. Any other sights that we should not miss??

What time of year is best for this adventure, what to expect in the way of weather??-------VFR pilot BTW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike: Direct Cedar City direct Cortez CO, rent a car for the drive to Mesa Verda then the drive to Ridgeway along the $1M/mile highway then south to Durango then west thru Famington, Shiprock to Cortez. It is an all day drive or you can stop overnight along the way. The highway near Ridgeway is closed for winter starting ???? That should give you a start. Those bushes along the side of the highway in many places are not bushes but the tops of very tall trees over the edge of the highway, two lane highway with hair pen turns but a beautiful drive. I taught school on the Navaho Reservation for 4 years in Shiprock NM from 1969-73. Dan

It's been quite some time, but I've been to the Durango airport. Seemed reasonably GA friendly, rental cars, etc.

My only advice is to do the mountain flying early in the morning. I'm not much help when it comes to the wrong side of the Rockies but if you get to the east side, stop in and say hello.

if you get to the east side, stop in and say hello.

Bill, will keep that in mind. I am thinking that we may go east before we head north from Durango area to Leadville-----Bit longer flight, but more friendly terrain.

Easy non-stop from our place to Montrose Mike - I did that last summer on the way to Wichita. Good big field and reasonable fuel prices. Not much to stop for before you get there anyway - and then lots to see wast of there!

Colorado

Mike
We live in Estes Park. Nearest is KFNL, Loveland/Ft. Collins.
I would include a trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park in late September. Leaves are turning, temps are perfect, tourist traffic is low, Hwy 34 is still open over the top and elk are in full rut. My favorite time up here.
If you're planning a summer trip, early June is very nice everywhere. July and August, temps start to climb in the lower elevations. Durango rail might be hot around then.
And if you feel like pounding rivets, give me a call. :D

I've done two Durango trips over the last few years and had good luck with parking at Animas Airpark (00C) just south of town. Friendly folks at the FBO with reasonable fuel prices and cheap tiedowns; I didn't ask about hangars. There's an Avis rental car shop is just down the hill and they'll pick you up at the airport... by the time you tie down and get the canopy cover on they'll be waiting with a car.

It seems to me that Durango would be a good "hub" of operations for you; easy drive W to Mesa Verde, and easy drive N to Silverton and Ouray. It'd be an easy flight to Telluride or a bit farther to Leadville. As previously mentioned, do those trips early before the winds start kicking. Ouray is a cool little town, looks like it ought to be in Switzerland.

As far as where to stay, there are lots of hotels/motels, condos, B&Bs. Near downtown there's the Doubletree, Strater, Wyndham and Best Western all an easy walk to the train station and the shops/restaurants on Main Ave. Ya like beer? Steamworks Brewing Company, great beer and grub!

If you're planning a summer trip, early June is very nice everywhere.

Larry, good info----that is the kind of thing I am looking for. Thanks.

It seems to me that Durango would be a good "hub" of operations for you; easy drive W to Mesa Verde

That is what we are thinking of at the moment, Durango as main base, local drive in rental car, and then fly out to Leadville-----but wanted to see if anybody has a better idea that we should be considering.

It'd be an easy flight to Telluride or a bit farther to Leadville. As previously mentioned, do those trips early before the winds start kicking. Ouray is a cool little town, looks like it ought to be in Switzerland.

Never heard of Ouray---------need to talk to Mr. Google.

Last edited:
Mike,
We do this trip once or twice a year. Some good restaraunts are the Ore House, Swemeys, and the Bar D stage show/supper is a lot of fun too. We always land at the KDRO and they always treat us good at the FBO. They put our RV in the hanger at night and help with the rental car paperwork. The Animas is also fun to raft on if you have the time, the train ride is fantastic. Some people only ride the train to Silverton and take the bus back but we ride it both ways. We also sit in the open air cars instead of inside. Much better views that way. Don't forget the hot springs on the north side of town to relax/soAk in. The glider rides look fun but we haven't did them.

Laura and I are in the very early stages of planning a late spring or early summer trip to visit Colorado.

What time of year is best for this adventure, what to expect in the way of weather??-------VFR pilot BTW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike,

What do you consider late spring/early winter? It will be significantly different than on the left coast. There will be beautiful days in May, but too high risk for rain/snow, cold temps. Even early June can be cold and wet. I have been snowed on multiple July 4th's at higher elevations. There is no completely safe time in the mountains. Bring some cold/wet weather gear, no matter when you come. We have lots of beautiful days; they just don't come with guarantees.

Take a look at Telluride airport; beautiful setting with an interesting approach.

Gunnison and Montrose

The area around Gunnison is beautiful. I've done a lot of cycling around there. Specific sights would be the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the famous pie shop between Montrose and Gunnison (can't remember what its called, but its the best pie I ever ate), and Monarch Pass.

Highly recommended:

Avalanche Brewing in Silverton, best breakfast burritos ever.
BBQ joint and old school Mexican restaurant next door, also in Silverton.
High Mountain Pizza in Leadville.

550 (Million Dollar Highway) Silverton to Ouray is amazing--bringing the motorcycle out the next trip.

The Great Sand Dunes are also very interesting, very desolate in a somewhat unexpected location.

Watch the weather and start early if you do any hiking, the weather can get hazardous in a matter of 30 minutes, and include hail, torrential downpours, snow...this in the middle of August.

Monsoon season

Mike, another thing. Parts of Colorado experience a monsoon season during the summer. I think its more common on the Front Range (East side of the Divide). Our area sees it July-September. Mornings are beautiful. Clouds build during the day and rain falls about 2pm. Then it clears and evening is cool. It happens every day up here during the season. Check the weather patterns for the area of interest.

DRO - Awesome!

You'll love Durango and the surrounding area. We visit every year. We rented a home via VRBO and were very happy - lots to choose from. I've flown into both the airpark and DRO. We had the Doubletree pick us up from the airpark (about .5 miles) unfortunately they went to DRO looking for us!
Eat at Poppy's for lunch. Great sandwiches and soup.
Lady Falconburgh's is a great bar/restaurant. Huge selection of beers and good food. The black n tan soup is awesome.
Homeslice is a hip little pizza place that is lots of fun.

Mike, another thing. Parts of Colorado experience a monsoon season during the summer. I think its more common on the Front Range (East side of the Divide). Our area sees it July-September. Mornings are beautiful. Clouds build during the day and rain falls about 2pm. Then it clears and evening is cool. It happens every day up here during the season. Check the weather patterns for the area of interest.

Yep, aware of that. My wife lived in Denver in a prior life, and has fond memories of the summer thunder storms.

Avoid the Hordes

Mike,

If you've any option, avoid early-June through August when the mobs descend upon the Four Corners/San Juans. Personally, I prefer September/October but you do get leaf peepers; at least the baby strollers are home.

Animas Airpark works.

The D&RGW is a good ride. This train is largely down in the Animas River canyon. If you want more open vistas but still a spectacular ride, do the Cumbres and Toltec RR. We landed Taos, rented a car and drove to Chama, bused to Antonito, train to Chama, drove back to Taos the next day.

Silverton's interesting but so is Knott's Berry Farm. You can visit there on your way to Ouray. Unless you're into trinkets and dust catchers, the tourist trap stores get boring quick. Once you've see one old mining town, the others are merely variations on a theme. The scenery is the show. Want some fun? Take your rent-a-wreck over the Ophir Pass from Hwy 550 and eventually reach T'ride. It's a rocky jeep trail a higher suspension sedan can drop down east to west since you're just modulating the brakes over boulders. Won't make it the other way. Or just rent a Jeep.

Then circle back though Mesa Verde/Durango.

Leadville Airport's no big deal; plenty of pavement, wide open approaches. Simply a bucket list item.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Last edited:
Fall.....

.....last two weeks of September are some of the best flying on the West Slope. You can have days with great flying all day long. Summers can get quite bumpy sometime as early as 10am. The leaves will be changing! That's a special time to fly in the Rockies. Mesa Verde has some canyons outside the park that can be flown. (fly down not up) The north west corner of the state has some must sees too. Dinosaur National Monument, Flamming Gorge, North way into Leadville takes you past Beaver Creek, Vail area, along the Gore Mt's. Then there's the Canyon country West of Grand Junction down to Moab, circle the La Salle Mts. Don't miss Monument Valley on your way to Colorado either. It's just west of the Four Corners, minuets by RV. Can spend a vacation flying, only car rental is at Mesa, take your time and stop and walk a lot there. Every little pull off has something to see. Gunnison is a good central location to base out of. Out the FBO door and your in downtown. Flight to Aspen then North along the Flat Tops, then into Steamboat Springs for lunch. After lunch north to Steamboat Lk. pick up the Little Snake river west to Dixon. Then continue west to Flamming Gorge. Could even camp out there for a night.
I suggest you stay on the "BAD" side of the Rockies. Unless you want to see lots of people.
Other than Mesa Verde you don't need no stinkin' car. More money for av gas!

Last edited:
KTEX

As others have suggested, flying into Telluride is a must. You can stay in the Ski Mountain Village reasonably cheap in the off season and ride the gondola into town for free. No worries about driving or parking after a night out. I happened to be there last fall during the Blues and Brews Festival, the ramp fills up and hotel prices tripled for that weekend so check ahead for any big events.

The staff at the FBO were great and the scenery is unforgettable. The photo is not my RV but I would have no issues flying my 8A there as long as the weather was good.

tysg.jpg

I stopped overnight in KDRO last October when I was bringing my plane over to KPAO. It was beautiful.

The route:
KDRO->KCDC->KTPH->NIKOL->FRA->KPAO (SkyVector link)
took us over the Monument Valley, Colorado River Gorge, Mono Lake, close to Yosemite and of course Central Valley :) It was magnificent, the weather was fantastic -- severe clear and not even a bump during the whole route.

Here are some pictures from that trip: http://goo.gl/R6nVz9

Last edited:
Fall is great

Mike,

I agree that fall flying in Colorado can be really great. Don't forget the southern part of the state. When you get to Leadville, make sure you venture south a bit to KAEJ and KANK. They are just down the valley, and really worth the visit. Both have courtesy cars, with lots of good places to eat. Gunnison is just to the west over Monarch pass. Monarch is high, a real mountain pass. I check the winds aloft, and if over 20 kts, just wait for another day. You can get bounced around hard up there when the wind is blowing. We you come out drop me a note, we can go to lunch somewhere.

cheers

Geoff

You've gotten many really great suggestions!

If you're considering a southern route, you wouldn't be disappointed with a stop in Sedona.

Love Placerville. I have ferried dozen's of aircraft Alaska to/from Placerville for Joe Stancil.

You're going to have a great time on your trip!

You've gotten many really great suggestions!

Yes, we certainly have. All really good "food for thought" to help plan this trip.

We are still months out, but have learned the importance of getting all the ducks trained to march early on in the project.

If you're considering a southern route, you wouldn't be disappointed with a stop in Sedona.

Not this trip, gonna have to wait for another time. It is on the bucket list for sure.

Love Placerville. I have ferried dozen's of aircraft Alaska to/from Placerville for Joe Stancil.

I was based at PVF for 20 years, know Joe and Doralee well, their hangar was across the taxiway from mine.

Back