What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally...

LarryT

Well Known Member
There were many times when I wondered if this day would happen or even if it was meant to happen. Saturday, for the first time in 2 years and 6 months, my RV-6A had a fresh, signed off, condition inspection and took to the air once again. I stayed in the pattern for a while, then headed over to Scappoose (KSPB) for fuel, then north to Toledo, WA (KTDO) to shoot some practice landings, then back to W52, home base. 1.6 hours total. All of the mountains - Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood and Jefferson were visible on a CAVU afternoon!

Earlier this month I took 3.7 hrs of dual from Brian Moentenich in his -6A, but my panel is different with switches in different locations, so it will take a while before I am completely up to speed again.

The details of my hiatus from flying revolve around money and time (of course). When it seemed like I had too little of either, I also wrestled with the idea of whether or not I really had my priorities in order.

After flying Saturday, it seems that this is a blessing that was meant to be. When I am in the air, I feel closer to my Creator than when I am in church (sorry, Pastor John). In the end, this aircraft is not an idol, it is a blessing that enables me to experience the magnificence of God's Creation in the way that is most meaningful to me.

Larry Tompkins
N544WB RV-6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

After flying Saturday, it seems that this is a blessing that was meant to be. When I am in the air, I feel closer to my Creator than when I am in church (sorry, Pastor John). In the end, this aircraft is not an idol, it is a blessing that enables me to experience the magnificence of God's Creation in the way that is most meaningful to me.

Amen. (Pun intended;))

Nice to see you back in the air Larry. That airplane is much better now than when you bought it. The time you spent getting it airworthy and doing it right was well worth the effort.

I am periodically flooded with the very same thoughts...." Will it ever be....is it meant to be"? In the meantime.....I just keep plugging along, one simple task at a time. My wife thinks I am "Nuts". Maybe some day?

Yep

I've had all of those internal struggles too Larry. Still do. Not flying yet.

But, like you, every time I'm in the air I marvel at God's creation as well. That vantage point moves me like no other.

Finally

I've had all of those internal struggles too Larry. Still do. Not flying yet.

But, like you, every time I'm in the air I marvel at God's creation as well. That vantage point moves me like no other.

I had my own private Easter Sunrise Services last Sunday at 6000ft. over the beach off Sebastian, Fl. People on the ground could probably hear me singing "Nearer My God To Thee".:eek: Totally AWSOME! (No one wants to hear me sing, otherwise!:D

Congrats! All you folks still building, keep at it! It is SO worth it!

I know that feeling.

I know that feeling Larry. For me, if you realize that the plane and everything else belongs to God, and you put God and people before the plane, it can be a good thing. One potential builder called me out of the blue to talk with me about the project. I ended up being the best man in his wedding. I've made a lot of good friends through "my" RV that I never would have known otherwise. I hope it will be a way to share my faith with anyone that's interested.

Breakfast @ 30,000

I was overcome with gratitude on a flight over the grand canyon. Breakfast was typical airline food, the table was small, seating cramped. But what a view. Just thinking about all the things that had to happen through time to enable me to experience a sunrise over the grand canyon with breakfast at 30,00 ft. Inches away from a fatally cold wind, sitting comfortable and warm.
I tell people that there is nothing like looking down on everything. Even the biggest cities can be seen in their entirety a midst the greater nature when I am high enough. Those that "get it" understand it's to get the perspective of how small and fortunate we really are. How our achievements, even though great on a human scale, pale to that which was created for us.

Sky Pilot

Larry
As a Pastor and a Pilot, (RV-9A) I know what you feel... just without the
guilt. Flying can be a theological exercise.... especially when on occasion, it cares the **** out of you!
Jim F
(Rev...)
RV-9A 300 hrs.

Back