What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Success! One flight Monday morning from level with engine power alone. Inform press.

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Wow! I can't believe that I'm posting this. After almost 9 years of off and on building, my flying machine took to the sky today: Memorial Day, 2012! Oh man, what a feeling! Going aloft in an airplane that you built is indescribable.

I, like all of us, have had my share of ups and downs during this project. This was a project with some doubt, too many second guesses, and a fair amount of bloodshed (literally). It took me quite a while to actually take ownership of this collection of parts. At first I really didn’t think that I would get through it. I wish I had a nickel for every time I asked myself, “What the heck do you think you are doing here?” My wife knew otherwise. She knew that I just don’t quit and I guess she was right.

In my mind, I was never building an airplane; I was only building a collection of airplane parts. The fact that these parts might someday go together and become something was so remote that I didn’t dwell on it too much. I treated this kind of like how I treated college…just one class at a time.

Well, I graduated today! I was hoping to fit in a first flight this weekend but my daughter was participating in a soccer tournament across the hill in Aptos. I knew Saturday was out but I had a shot on Sunday. However, the forecast was for some overcast in the morning and my daughter had to be in Aptos at noon that day. Plus, I had an issue with the top cowl which had me pretty frustrated on Saturday night. I was feeling too much pressure and called it off.

Today looked much better. I jumped out of bed at 5:30 am and saw clear sky. I got ahold of my ground crew and told them that today was the day. My airport (E16) is 20 minutes south of my house and it was unfortunately overcast when I got there. I knew it would burn off eventually so while I was waiting, I did a couple of high speed taxis down the runway.

Well, at about 9:30 am, I was out of excuses. I sucked it up and made personal history.

DSCN1171.jpg

I strapped in my copilot for this trip: the always diabolical Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz. I was ready for some evil doing!

DSCN1170.jpg

I hedged my bets with a little bit of help from the boys. My good friend Dave (who was part of my ground crew) collected some sand for me from Kitty Hawk. Hey, it can't hurt to have the spirit of Orv and Will on board!

IMG_0795.jpg

Our relaxed looking hero participating in some before shots with his yet untested steed.

I actually was pretty relaxed today except for a brief moment just before I got into the plane and also right after my run up. "You don't have to do this" ran through my head briefly both times.

IMG_0813.jpg

Time to go!

IMG_0814.jpg

Man, that baby got off the ground in a hurry. It seemed to say "Oh, you want to fly? Fine, let's fly!"

IMG_0815.jpg

See ya!

It flew great! My right wing is slightly heavy but it performed as expected. A week ago, I got some time from the right seat of a friend's RV-9A and that sight picture and feel was very transferable to my plane even though his is in knots (I'm in mph) and he has a constant speed prop (and I have a Catto).

I climbed up to about 3300 feet and flew a practice pattern. I had Mike Seager's notes taped inside for easy reference and everything felt fine so I decided to try it for real.

IMG_0824.jpg

As luck would have it, I got smacked with some weird turbulence just before touchdown but she handled it with no problem.

IMG_0826.jpg

You know how whenever there is an audience you can never get the greaser landing? Well, that didn't happen to me. I rolled that airplane on! It was one of the best landings that I've ever made.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

After a very short roll out, it was done.

See the next post for Part II.

Last edited:
Part II, Home Christmas

IMG_0844.jpg

The ground crew with RV Grins all the way around.

IMG_0846.jpg

And the family unit (less two kids). Hey, I built an airplane and I'm still married!!

The rest of the day was with the family at the beach.

It’s unbelievable to me that I built an airplane and flew it! I have NEVER built any kind of flying aircraft before. I built a lot of Revel plastic models of WWII aircraft. I flew and crashed my share of Cox U-Control airplanes. I once strapped a Cox engine and prop to a Frisbee but that didn’t work out so well. I did build the skeleton of a Gentle Lady R/C glider about 15 years ago but it’s still in the rafters unfinished. So, it’s pretty cool that my first flying airplane that I built can actually carry people.

So now I get to say, keep pounding those rivets!!!! Just keep at it. Work a little bit at a time. If you have to take time off for holidays, vacations, and life in general, just pick up where you left off when you get back. You will get side tracked but time off doesn’t undo any of the work that you have previously performed. Just keep on keeping on.

So now I get to fly off my 40 hours and I will enjoy every minute of it. I’ve found that it gets a bit difficult to enunciate on the radio while experiencing the RV Grin!

Once again, keep pounding those rivets!!! However long you take, the time is going to go by anyway so you might as well get an airplane at the end of it.

I will post a link so some videos in the next few days.

Last edited:
Congrats!

This keeps me motivated. Great pictures and write up. I would leave it that color for awhile. It looks good. It was hot in Cincy today. I sweated buckets. Elevators and flap motor rigged.

Congratulations!

You did it Mr. Kelly Johnson! Welcome to the World of New Rich! :D Now all your money will go to petroleum companies. You should have painted it before first flight.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to you sir.

You have now joined the ranks of a very small percentage or humans to have achieved flying their own creations.

Well done:D

My son lives in Fremont!

A big congratulations and I'll make an effort to look you up next time out to Fremont, where my son and family live!

Best,

Without a doubt, Orville and Wilbur would approve....you did it "Wright"! ;)

Congratulations Mr. Johnson - great job!

I've seen you and your avatar online so many times I didn't realize you weren't flying. CONGRATS!!

Excellent, and a great story

As it only took me 7.5 years, I may be no expert, but I think it means a lot more to "experienced" builders.

Great Job

Great job

Another one is born. Hope to see your bird at OSH this year. Enjoy what you have created. GREAT airplane.:D

WAY TO GO!!! That is an awesome write-up. It was very motivational to see how you stuck with it through the years while maintaining your priorities. Congratulations on a well deserved success.

Wow Kelly, Congradulations

What a great accomplishment to have completed this journey Kelly. I can still remember the day that you, Brian, and Jim came over to see my RV-9A project as you each considered building. Jim was committed and was obviously going to take the plunge. Brian talked of a fire breathing RV-7 with 200 plus horsepower which he also appeared to ready to tackle. Then there was Kelly Johnson walking around the plane while listening to his buddies as they made the decision to build. You had this look of "You've got to be kidding," but when you took the plunge you saw it through. Good for you Kelly, enjoy and above all else hold that nose wheel up. ;)

Congratulations!

Well done! I definitely enjoyed reading your post. It gives me hope that completion of my project is achievable!

Excellent!

Congratulations. Wish I was there to see it. I must have arrived just after you left. I didn't build my RV, so I can only imagine how proud you must have been yesterday. I'll look for you at South County. My hangar is at the north end of the field.

Well done! I definitely enjoyed reading your post. It gives me hope that completion of my project is achievable!

Well since Mike Starkey appears to be sleeping on the job, let ME be the first to welcome you to the Good Ship VAF, Chris! Let us know how you're doing on your project.

Congrats!

That's a huge accomplishment! Congrats Kelly and good luck with Phase I!

Jim

Congrats!

Kelly,

A great writeup and pix, brought back memories of my own first flight 5 years ago after years of working on the "garage/hangar queen". The feeling of joy really hit me when I was at 4500' circling the airport and she was singing to me .

What kind of paint scheme are you considering? Did you have lots of RV time prior?

first flight

Congratulations Kelly!
We can all appreciate the phychological hurdles that you described. we have all been there!
Watch out.... once it gets out that you have built and flown your own airplaine, people will expect you to be able to fix or do most anything!
Jim
RV-9A
N571DF
250 hrs.

Wonderful! Very inspirational.

What's your flight testing regimen look like?

Hey Bob

I took a couple of examples of the RV flight test plans online and tweaked them a bit. I plan to modify the plan as I go if there are certain areas that need more exploration. I can't wait.

You know, I have found that the RV Grin easily lasts into the next day! I still can't believe what I did yesterday! You're getting close so you'll see what I mean soon.

Good luck.

As

Kelly,

A great writeup and pix, brought back memories of my own first flight 5 years ago after years of working on the "garage/hangar queen". The feeling of joy really hit me when I was at 4500' circling the airport and she was singing to me .

What kind of paint scheme are you considering? Did you have lots of RV time prior?

Jerry

As far as paint scheme, I'm thinking nothing over the top. I originally thought a dark blue on white. Now I'm thinking of having some yellow on it. I'm sure there is a good paint scheme out there that I can steal! ;-)

I took the Mike Seager training a year ago. I also got some right stick time in a couple of guy's 6As. A little over a week ago I got a small bit of right seat time in a couple of 9A's. This all added up to a very comfortable first flight.

The last time I was PIC was back in July in a 172.

Last edited:
That's fabulous news ....

I'm ecstatic at your newfound "airborne-ness"! I'm a month to 6 weeks away from my first flight, and your post makes it all the more exciting! Your comments in the original post are spot-on. I identify with every word.

Kelly Johnson...

Founded "The Skunk Works" an inspiration to all things experimental in aviation! You follow in some excellent footsteps... cu in OSH HBC:p

Kelly,

Great job! Glad to see you flying. It has come a long way since I visited your project. Hope to see you down in SoCal sometime.

Kelly, great write-up. And great persistence in getting that aircraft into the air. I just love the first flight reports from guys who take the best part of a decade to build their projects (guess why).

Wonderful news, Kelly.

Your story is really hitting home as I should be taking mine to the skies next month sometime, assumming I finally get my paperwork with FAA right. I can still only imagine your excitement.

Here's hoping you have a great 40 hours of test flying and then are able to engage in many adventures after that.

Jeff

Back