What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind RV-10 Prop

n700jl

Well Known Member
Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone out there was flying the Whirlwind Aviation RV-10 composite propeller? If you are do you have any feed back? I know plenty of people that are flying the other Whirlwind propellers and have nothing but good things to say. Thanks! Also could you post some pictures if you have them.

I looked at it for a few minutes, but the additional costs and the lighter weight did me in.

A friend of mine has one and it's slower..

...than my blended airfoil Hartzell two-blade by at least 7 knots, even tho' he's running 300 HP to my 260.

Best,

RV-10 prop

Pierre,
Are you sure that he is running the Whirlwind and not a MT. I have talked to a few guys running the 3 bladed MT. They are saying it is 7-10kts slower than the Hartzell. The Mt is also very pricey at $10K

Search MT props on this website. The 7-10 knots slower with the MT is old data. The MT prop for the RV-10 was a new design. I have used it on both RV-10's now, and there is no discernable difference when flying side-by-side with the other RV-10's running Hartzell's.

Vic

The 7-10 knots slower with the MT is old data. The MT prop for the RV-10 was a new design.

Vic

Vic, can you tell by looking if this is one of the newer designs ??

If not, any idea of when the change happened??

Thanks,

DSC06019.jpg

I think the only one you can get for the RV-10 is the new one. I couldn't help but notice the gear leg fairing and wheel pants are off on the one pictured here, so it will definitely be slower. :)

Vic

I took a 45 minute morning flight with Vic last November. We were loaded up with four adults (3 men and my wife). My prop decision was influenced at startup when I noticed how smooth it was. It was again influenced at climb out with a load of fuel and people. Cruise was smooth and fast.

Once we got on the ground I turned to Vic and said, "I've ridden in golf carts that run rougher" and I was serious.

At that point I knew I wasn't going to waste any more time researching. I had found exactly what I was hoping for. So my fwf will be a near-clone of Vic's. That composite MT was a dream.

Phil

Last edited:
Getting back to the original post, the new Whirlwind RV-10 prop is a two-blade model, and I would also be interested to know if anyone out there has installed one.
-Andy

Whirlwind props for RV10

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone out there was flying the Whirlwind Aviation RV-10 composite propeller? If you are do you have any feed back? I know plenty of people that are flying the other Whirlwind propellers and have nothing but good things to say. Thanks! Also could you post some pictures if you have them.

Hopefully you'll get a reply to this question.

I looked at it for a few minutes, but the additional costs and the lighter weight did me in.

I'd say you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that you also get the spinner and bulkheads. Plus Whirlwind is located in the US (Ohio) which is a big plus for some folks (me anyway). Lightweight can be a good thing.

...than my blended airfoil Hartzell two-blade by at least 7 knots, even tho' he's running 300 HP to my 260.

If you say that your 10 is faster I have no doubt that it is. I'm curious about your friends prop and his 10 in general. Power settings?, side by side?, timed race?, etc etc.

At that point I knew I wasn't going to waste any more time researching. I had found exactly what I was hoping for. So my fwf will be a near-clone of Vic's. That composite MT was a dream.
Phil

Hi Phil,
I wish I could do that. I need to fly them all before I can make a decision :). If I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd wager a hot dog at Oshkosh that you don't end up with an MT prop on your RV10 when it's finished :rolleyes:.

Getting back to the original post, the new Whirlwind RV-10 prop is a two-blade model, and I would also be interested to know if anyone out there has installed one.
-Andy

Me too. Not sure if this is the prop that Pierre's friend is flying or not??

More on Whirlwind RV10 props 2 & 3 blades

A little info:

Whirlwind makes what they've named the 'RV10 Prop'. This is a 2 blade composite prop that is 'basically' the same as the '200RV' prop with 79 inch blades. I haven't flown behind one yet and (like the original poster) would like to hear from someone that has. It's based on the 13" hub/spinner that is standard on the RV10 cowl. Whirlwind also makes the '400 Rocket' prop. I was the first to fly one of these props on my F1 Rocket (AFAIK). This is an entirely different prop than the 'RV10' prop. This is a 3 blade, hollow core, wide chord, composite, swept tip design with nickel leading edge that wraps all the way around the tip. The '400 Rocket' prop fits under a 15" bulkhead/ spinner due the larger 3 blade hub design. That said, I've been involved with Whirlwind and James Aircraft for the last few months working to get the '400 Rocket' propeller bolted up to the RV10. In order to make this happen, Whirlwind was able to make the hub fit inside of a 14" bulkhead/spinner. Will James has an RV10 cowl that has a 14" flange. So, in order to use the Whirlwind '400 Rocket' prop on an RV10 you'll need to delete your stock cowl (13" flange) from the kit and order the James (14" flange) 'holy cowl' instead. One of the issues with the set up was folks wanting to install air conditioning on their RV10. Whirlwind also made another rear bulkhead that is conical shaped (same as the rear spinner bulkhead on my F1 Rocket) which moves the spinner forward about 1.6". The hub doesn't change....just the location of the rear bulkhead and spinner. Along with this Will James has extended the cowls to move the flange forward. This provides an extra 1.5" clearance for the engine driven A/C compressor. Sam and Will James also modifed the air inlet diameter for the rings and plenum by another 1" for additional cooling. I understand this has been tested with very positive results. I'm finalizing this set up on the RV10 at my shop (with Flightline A/C) as we speak and should be finished in 4-6 weeks. 'Hopefully' it'll all work out and folks will be able to have their choice of the Whirlwind 'RV10' 2 bladed prop with Vans stock cowls (13" spinner), or....drum roll please.....the Whirlwind '400 Rocket' 3 bladed prop with the James Aircraft 'holy cowl' (round inlets) 14" spinner.

I believe the Whirlwind '400 Rocket' prop/James cowl & induction system is going to be one hot set up for the RV10. As soon as this RV10 is completed I'll be working with a customer on my 4th RV10.......guess what prop/cowl/ac set up that one is getting......good guess :D!!

While we're comparing props (not the original posters intent??), whenever I build ANY PART for one of my planes it has to meet 3 criteria:

1 - it has to be safe
2 - it has to be functional
3 - it has to LOOK GOOD

I'll just say that the MT prop meets 2 of my rules :eek:.
The Hartzell meets all 3.
The Whirlwind meets 1 & 2 and exceeds #3 :).

I've built and flown my share of RV's/Rockets, and flown in or alongside them with just about any prop/engine combo you can imagine. The Whirlwind prop is by far my own personal favorite in overall performance, looks, sound, reliability, and customer service. That's why I gladly accepted when Whirlwind asked me some time ago to be a dealer for their propellers.

Everybody that knows me knows that I call 'em like I see 'em....good or bad :D. If you want to talk about my 400 Rocket prop slip me an email or call. If you decide that you want to purchase a Whirlwind prop for your RV10 down the road give me a yell......I'm sure I can save you some $$$ :).

Of course, I'll get some performance/comparison data when this project is completed (almost there) and tell you all about it.....good or bad.

Last edited:
Man thats a lot to type in a one minute interval!

Good choice on the OSH hotdog though. You would have owed me. :)

Rick Gray has a 3 blade Whirlwind on his F1 Rocket. Absolutely beauriful and fast.

Man thats a lot to type in a one minute interval!

Good choice on the OSH hotdog though. You would have owed me. :)

You like that speed typing eh' Phil :D. So....on the hotdog.....let's just say that it wouldn't be the first time that I lost a hotdog :eek:.

Rick Gray has a 3 blade Whirlwind on his F1 Rocket. Absolutely beauriful and fast.

Thanks Greg! Make sure you get ride next time you're visiting in Ohio!

Back