What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap retraction issue

Ron B.

Well Known Member
After a lot of fudging around we finally got my friends RV-14 flaps sorta working. We have the defined points (4 of them) installed and have the flaps dropping to each increment by touching the flaps down switch . But when the infinity grip switch is moved to the up position the flaps go up half way and stop until the up switch is cycled again then they finish going up.
He has dual GDU 460s and a GAD 27 . We've been in contact with Stein today to get us to this point but aren't having any luck getting past this last hiccup.

After a lot of fudging around we finally got my friends RV-14 flaps sorta working. We have the defined points (4 of them) installed and have the flaps dropping to each increment by touching the flaps down switch . But when the infinity grip switch is moved to the up position the flaps go up half way and stop until the up switch is cycled again then they finish going up.
He has dual GDU 460s and a GAD 27 . We've been in contact with Stein today to get us to this point but aren't having any luck getting past this last hiccup.

Ron,

How do you have it wired and configured (which page of Rev. AP G3X Touch Installation Manual), and how do you want it to work?

Is V8.92 software loaded and can you provide a screen shot of your flap position calibration page?

It would also be good to describe the flap switches. It sounds like it is momentary contact for down movement, and sustained contact for up movement, but good to confirm.

Steve

Last edited:
Many of the programming entries default to a "go around" flap position, and retracts in two operations. Depending on the performance of the aircraft, going from full flap to zero can cause the belly to contact the runway! In the airlines, we had a mantra on the "go around"... "Flaps 15, check max power, positive rate, gear up, set missed approach altitude, call the miss, get me a cup of coffee...."
DAR Gary

Ron,

How do you have it wired and configured (which page of Rev. AP G3X Touch Installation Manual), and how do you want it to work?

Is V8.92 software loaded and can you provide a screen shot of your flap position calibration page?

It would also be good to describe the flap switches. It sounds like it is momentary contact for down movement, and sustained contact for up movement, but good to confirm.

Steve

Flap switch is as you described , we had V8.91 and updated this morning with no change to the flaps operation. We are configured on the relative setting. We would like for the flaps to come up all in one operation (not stop 1/2 way and require a second command). Stein made the harness so I don't know how to describe the wiring. We have a schematic if you have a question, I can look at the plan. We will provide you a screen shot after we have lunch.
Thanks Ron

Flap switch is as you described , we had V8.91 and updated this morning with no change to the flaps operation. We are configured on the relative setting. We would like for the flaps to come up all in one operation (not stop 1/2 way and require a second command). Stein made the harness so I don't know how to describe the wiring. We have a schematic if you have a question, I can look at the plan. We will provide you a screen shot after we have lunch.
Thanks Ron

Thanks. When you are at the plane getting the screen shot, you might try this test.

With the flaps fully extended (down), move the flap up switch to ON/OFF/ON/OFF quickly. This should store 2 up movement commands and cause it move through the partial flap position and to the up position.

Just moving the switch to the up position and leaving it there should also cause the flaps to move from full down to the up position, but this test might tell us if something else is going on.

Steve

We previously tried the two quick up cycles and they only went half up. Also if starting at half flaps and going up , they only go about 1/2 way up from that(1/4 travel movement).
It’s difficult to troubleshoot when you don’t know how it’s supposed to work.
Thanks

2mPz2fH

2mPAg9D

2mPz2jq

With help from Garmin , we have resolved the issue. With Van's -3 degree reflex flap position we entered the -3 as a position along with it's voltage value. This negative number messed up the function . We just called the -3 degree position 0 degrees and all works as we like. Flaps descend to each position as requested and when the toggle is flipped up into it's up position detent the flaps come up all the way to the stop (spar) . Minor adjustment but when you have no idea what it could be it's a real problem.
Thanks Garmin tech support.

Back