What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product Announcement: GPS 175/GNX 375 IFR Navigators (3/25/19)

I'm not sure if this was addressed in past posts. Will the GNX-375 crossfill it's flight plan with the GNS-430W or vice versa? Also, will we be able to show traffic and weather from the GNX-375 ADSB on Dynon HDX displays?

Crossfill, no according to the webinar.

As for the other I don't think so but don't take my word for it.

Crossfill, no according to the webinar.

As for the other I don't think so but don't take my word for it.

Brian, I picked up in the webinar that the 375 will cross-fill from an iPad running Garmin Pilot, but not from other apps (like FF). But I didn?t hear that it wouldn?t cross-fill from/to other Garmin panel-mounts. Might have missed it. Seems that it has Garmin-to-Garmin x-fill capabilities.

On the FIS-B and TIS-B issue, it did say there is some external capability. With both 429 and RS-232 data out, why do you feel it won?t send the data to the HDX or other PFDs? That?s a big one for me...hopefully the G3xpert fellas can confirm or deny. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Bob

Brian, I picked up in the webinar that the 375 will cross-fill from an iPad running Garmin Pilot, but not from other apps (like FF). But I didn’t hear that it wouldn’t cross-fill from/to other Garmin panel-mounts. Might have missed it. Seems that it has Garmin-to-Garmin x-fill capabilities.

On the FIS-B and TIS-B issue, it did say there is some external capability. With both 429 and RS-232 data out, why do you feel it won’t send the data to the HDX or other PFDs? That’s a big one for me...hopefully the G3xpert fellas can confirm or deny. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Bob

They specifically said it won’t crossfill with other GTN or GNS boxes. I got this from 37:00 on the webinar and I think they mention it again somewhere else. It does support the Connext stuff which is kinda a different thing.

As for the other, I imagine to enable that, third parties would have to enter into some kind of agreement with Garmin and would have to develop the interfaces to be able to support these data streams. Garmin mentioned somewhere on this thread that even Foreflight would have a ton of work to do in order to support this box and they have already been supporting some of the Connext features of older products for some time now so they know how to work with Garmin.

As for if the other brands will ever support it, I don’t know but I would not plan on it in the short term. I also don’t expect to see Dynon or AFS or GRT doing much partnering with Garmin. If we do see support, it will likely come from reverse engineering the outputs. This is just my speculation and I have no facts to back up my guesstimates.

Garmin is making it tough on reverse engineering proprietary protocols by adding encryption and handshaking into the mix which makes it much harder to just sniff the wire or the radio waves and figure it out.

To be sure I would wait on the source to reply.

Last edited:
Brian,

Thanks, I thought you might have a time hack on it. I re-listened, and do recall that part of the discussion, which is a pretty honest discussion of what the GTN/GNS systems provide that the GNX does not. I also picked up a comment about various 3rd party interfaces not being available in the GNX that are in the GTN/GNS systems.

Was hoping my phased approach would work with any of the PFD options available. We'll see what the xperts say.

The only installation manual our local FBO avionics jefe could get his hands on so far is the TSO Install manual. It only discusses the certified interfaces, as Stein alluded to in an earlier post about interface lists.

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback!

Been playing with the 375 app on the iPad, and it's a pretty neat piece of gear.

Cheers,
Bob

Installation in EAB

Would like to know if I am allowed to do my own installation of the GNX 375 in the RV-7 that I am building.

Thanks for the information!

Leonard Westermeyer
Newman Lake, WA
N123LL RV-7A

Would like to know if I am allowed to do my own installation of the GNX 375 in the RV-7 that I am building.

Leonard Westermeyer
Newman Lake, WA
N123LL RV-7A

Yes, Garmin has allowed this exception for years for us experimental users and the feds only care about it being installed per the manufacturers recommendations (although never heard of them inspecting any installs).

Leonard Westermeyer
Newman Lake, WA
N123LL RV-7A

Garmin?s policy in the past has been yes, but: you must buy a pre-built wiring harness from a Garmin dealer. After that, you can do the rest. I have not seen anything suggesting any change in this policy.

Garmin?s policy in the past has been yes, but: you must buy a pre-built wiring harness from a Garmin dealer. After that, you can do the rest. I have not seen anything suggesting any change in this policy.

Many have bought Garmin avionics without a wiring harness....

I think that is the PS Engineering policy, not Garmin.

I apologize for the mis-information. My memory must be failing. I thought in 2010 when I bought my G420W Stein said I had to buy their harness. But that was 9 years ago.

Vertical Guidance in GNX 375 (GPS 175)

Thanks to everyone for answering my question about self installation.

I am playing with the trainer app to try to understand the unit, and I don’t see where it shows vertical guidance for an LPV Approach. This was mentioned as a feature, but where is it displayed?

Is this shown on a coupled G3X or on a coupled G5 display or do you need a separate CDI instrument?

Thanks for the explanation!

Leonard Westermeyer
RV-7A in construction.

Thanks to everyone for answering my question about self installation.

I am playing with the trainer app to try to understand the unit, and I don?t see where it shows vertical guidance for an LPV Approach. This was mentioned as a feature, but where is it displayed?

Is this shown on a coupled G3X or on a coupled G5 display or do you need a separate CDI instrument?

Thanks for the explanation!

Leonard Westermeyer
RV-7A in construction.

Leonard,

I haven't been able to get the sim to couple in a pitch mode either. Have tried LPV and Visual approach modes. There is a sim tracking mode that includes vertical, but I can't get that to work yet (I'm betting there is an operator error component to this result) ;-)

From the map, hit the home button or the back button to get to the home page. From the home page, hit the demo button (upper left of the 375's screen), and on page 1 of the demo settings, upper R corner, there is a track mode button. One option is Flight Plan plus Vertical. Seems to track the LNAV track, but so far it won't capture the vertical guidance. Have tried going to the FAF at the FAF altitude, and other altitudes, but still no joy. The resources button (upper right corner of the screen) has a sim users guide, but it's fairly short, and doesn't cover this aspect, AFAICT. If you figure it out, let us know.

Real world, the AP NAV mode should track the course, and the VNAV mode should follow the vertical guidance once captured, but AP controls are not in the iPad sim app.

Question for the xperts on the flight plan waypoints: on an RNAV (GPS) approach to LPV mins (aka an "LPV approach"), will the flight plan or the waypoint info boxes show the approach crossing altitude for various waypoints? I know we reference the approach plate for those, but having it on the display is nice too, as a reference.

Thanks for any info on that, or on coupling the sim in pitch!

Cheers,
Bob

GNX 375 Vertical Guidance

In case anyone is interested in the answer to the question I posed above about where vertical guidance from the GNX 375 is displayed, here is the reply I received from Garmin:

Leonard,

If you are using a G3X or G5, the vertical deviation will be shown next to the Altitude tape:

Picture attached.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Justin Cobb
Aviation Field Service Engineer

1200 E. 151st Street | Olathe, KS 66062, USA | Phone: +1.866.854.8433 | Email: [email protected]

33713697558_bab147c2c4_o_d.png

This clarifies that the vertical guidance is produced by the GPS unit, but not displayed on it. It is sent to the G5 or G3X or to a CDI for display. I?m presuming it?s also made available to the autopilot for coupled approaches.

Hopefully this will help, although I?m probably the last person to figure this out!

Leonard Westermeyer
RV-7A in construction

In case anyone is interested in the answer to the question I posed above about where vertical guidance from the GNX 375 is displayed, here is the reply I received from Garmin:

Leonard,

If you are using a G3X or G5, the vertical deviation will be shown next to the Altitude tape:

Picture attached.

Best regards,

Justin Cobb

1200 E. 151st Street | Olathe, KS 66062, USA | Phone: +1.866.854.8433 | Email: [email protected]

33713697558_bab147c2c4_o_d.png

This clarifies that the vertical guidance is produced by the GPS unit, but not displayed on it. It is sent to the G5 or G3X or to a CDI for display. I?m presuming it?s also made available to the autopilot for coupled approaches.

Hopefully this will help, although I?m probably the last person to figure this out!

Leonard Westermeyer
RV-7A in construction

Just to add, this is how the GTN and older GNS systems work as well. Vertical guidance requires an external display of some sort.

Leonard,

Picture attached.

Best regards,

Justin Cobb

This clarifies that the vertical guidance is produced by the GPS unit, but not displayed on it. It is sent to the G5 or G3X or to a CDI for display. I’m presuming it’s also made available to the autopilot for coupled approaches.

Hopefully this will help, although I’m probably the last person to figure this out!

Leonard Westermeyer
RV-7A in construction

Just to add, this is how the GTN and older GNS systems work as well. Vertical guidance requires an external display of some sort.

This all makes good sense, and should be the case for any interoperable EFIS/PFD connected to a 175/375 (Garmin, Dynon, Advanced, etc).

I was also asking if there is a way to have the simulator app for the 175/375 follow vertical guidance when on an approach. There is a selection for automatic lateral track following, and one that says "plus vertical guidance", but I haven't been able to have it couple and follow the vertical guidance to mins. It flies the lateral track to the MAP at the FAF altitude (which is where I set the altitude on the app), and then asks if I want to suspend or continue. I reckon I could just change the altitude to minimums and watch it fly down to the mins, but the VSI can't be controlled, so I'm not sure how it would work. Really just trying to see how the annunciations change during an RNAV (GPS) approach flown to LPV mins, while coupled to the vertical guidance. Might be something that needs to wait until its installed and paired with an EFIS and AP. Still a cool app tho!

I have a unit on order, and before I do my phase 1 upgrade, I will try to ground test it with a legacy Dynon system...and a Skyview system, and perhaps an AFS system...if buds at the home drome will let me experiment...to see if the serial output will provide nav and steering commands to the legacy system, and how the 429 interfaces are with the other two systems. Then I'll know if my two-phase upgrade plan will work. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Bob

Panel cutout dimensions

I have GPS-175 on order and am just about ready to start cutting my new panel, does anyone have the official panel cutout drawings/dimensions? It doesn?t look like the installation manual is available yet from GARMIN.

I have GPS-175 on order and am just about ready to start cutting my new panel, does anyone have the official panel cutout drawings/dimensions? It doesn?t look like the installation manual is available yet from GARMIN.

Get the install manual from your dealer. They have em...

Looking for a West Coast/Norcal Garmin shop to panel upgrade an RV6A with a new GNX375 and G5.

No call backs or e-mail returns from the few contacted thus far.(to remain unnamed outfits)

Thanks

Let's say you're sticking with Garmin equipment, building a new IFR-ready panel. You want to tick the following checkboxes: TSO'd WAAS GPS, nav radio for VOR/LOC, ADS-B in/out, what's the difference between the following combinations of equipment:

Option A:
GTN 650 GPS navigator with NAV/COM
GTX 345R Transponder/ADS-B In/Out
$11995 + $4995 = $16990

Option B:
GTX 45R Transponder/ADS-B In/Out
$11995 + $3895 = $15890

Option C:
GNX 375 GPS navigator with Transponder/ADS-B In/Out
GNC 255 NAV/COM radio
$7995 + $4495 = $12490

..besides slightly more panel space needed for option C?

I believe with Option A or B you will also need an audio panel. The GNC 255 has a built in two place intercom.

Let's say you're sticking with Garmin equipment, building a new IFR-ready panel. You want to tick the following checkboxes: TSO'd WAAS GPS, nav radio for VOR/LOC, ADS-B in/out, what's the difference between the following combinations of equipment:

Option A:
$11995 + $4995 = $16990

Option B:
$11995 + $3895 = $15890

Option C:
GNC 255 NAV/COM radio
$7995 + $4495 = $12490

The GTN 650 is taller (2.65"). Than the GNX 375 (2.02"). The GNC 255 is legacy height (1.65"). The GTX 345R can be remotely controlled by the GTN. The GTX 45R is a remote equivalent but can only be controlled by a G3X display, not a GTN, although it can display ADS-B in on a GTN.

Option A - one item on panel
Least panel space height

Option B - one item on panel
Same panel space as option a (least) - but requires G3X

Option C - two items on panel
Most panel space height and no remote LRU

Last edited:
The GPS 175 is like the pre-V6.50 GTN 6XX/7XX or the 430W/530W in that it doesn't output A429 VNAV guidance or provide flight planning with a field to enter an altitude constraint at each waypoint as discussed in this posting. Again, this has nothing to do with vertical approach guidance, which it does provide like all GTN and WAAS GNS units.

While it doesn't tell you what Garmin will choose to support, the Connector Pinout Information from the Part 23 AML STC Maintenance Manual seems to show two ARINC in's and one out even on the GPS 175.

OK I am confused... As nyrikki stated the manual shows ARINC-429 connections in the connector pinout and in the INTERFASES section of the same manual it states:

"3.3.3.1.1 ARINC 429
The Interfaced Equipment ? ARINC 429 page allows the configuration of data formats and speeds of ARINC 429 inputs and outputs."

So, is ARINC-429 supported or is it a separate option? This will make a difference for many of us.

:cool:

Option A:
$11995 + $4995 = $16990

Option B:
$11995 + $3895 = $15890

Option C:
GNC 255 NAV/COM radio
$7995 + $4495 = $12490

With A and B, failure of a single box leaves you with no panel mounted navigation. With C it takes two failures.

With A and B, failure of a single box leaves you with no panel mounted navigation. With C it takes two failures.

I guess you're talking about legal IFR navigation, the G3X screens all have built in WAAS GPS's that work quite well as back up nav source.

175 mounting

I have GPS-175 on order and am just about ready to start cutting my new panel, does anyone have the official panel cutout drawings/dimensions? It doesn’t look like the installation manual is available yet from GARMIN.

Here you go.

The first is for the 175,

6j3ti1.jpg

For those interested in the 375, it is a little deeper.

34r9lpf.jpg

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited:
Question. Can one GNX375 drive a HSI and a CDI? Specifically two G5's or a G5 and a KI209?

Can a nav/com be hooked up to the same KI209 if the GNX375 is hooked to it as well.

It is my understanding that a G5 has only one input?

Thanks in advance.

Question. Can one GNX375 drive a HSI and a CDI? Specifically two G5's or a G5 and a KI209?

Can a nav/com be hooked up to the same KI209 if the GNX375 is hooked to it as well.

It is my understanding that a G5 has only one input?

Thanks in advance.
Hello NewbRVator,

You can certainly drive 2 G5 displays with a GNX 375, but we may not understand your entire system. What is your NAV/COM?

r4xYM7EzOL8EZG6Om5jjiURLlYW4fdy4cwQDNLLXUJl5eJN4R_nRxa93fldjykR1N-dMkh7r2sRXnU4AwGI6f7x2UMCNBe_7ce4oXJGltVTeZQHOyCFAmwUmebgJNbtjh_-Hdj9GiwVR18Nny0InkAbQi6WlCD-oFGqb0H7E4U0ew1Egk1JayGJNhPZzilKEUR5sqAc2j55lgc6LsH36dPeapY9G4Jhy7Vslj2ZZSbkcfFhv2vbTxiyxOdqGZfuNqOFnBkJUuhbCW6P8dQqslr1KUlUApzxiR6CwjH9r79lEtadoYGINCVmWJjd50kIJsj2V9C8ZiX4y1-ufr_u809p_CmaeVTZvZskRjzL-4xd13oMwVqMiepgaLdOKf48B01MG8-LT2iYd7EIqpOgM0m3fIVblZgWan5WwYaQf9iVJ7Sv9vhiNUxy8DT7hZHMLPKFkinHAikLT9a-GaocqBBqV7zKNvndbMO1KTgx5uRqVVziJk5tCxhJqFTeLL5r-bQLaE9U4-MGqeiPRO9TcgSQco4J8e1Q8CfikSTRU-34zZlxT0C5_2J68Jm9yVNOa9RmY6unqVAEoXkeM2PZq3OTYnL6Nb_cUP6DEqcz5Vj2XS0pPRM4ydsyKtRiAhDtOaLaFSKU9shHbCCsxPq7fC6d_yfR9iqq9sAAewfZ4-1oNU-XFkj-j7Sh2ItDCgjnLp3xxG7OI52hifFECUeicAdV1imhFjUt0XqzBGTEgLfSOhFs=w513-h829-no

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I have a KLX 135A GPS/Com, KI209, a digitrak autopilot, and a KX155 Nav/com. And a KT76C transponder -- non-adsb.

My HSI is vacuum and not IFR worthy.

So I am planning a panel upgrade with a GNX375 which will give me waas gps and adsb transponder. I want an IFR panel so was going to keep the 155 nav/com and the KLX135A as it is hooked to the autopilot.

Then I would replace my vaccum HSI with a G5, hook the GNX to the KI209 and the last question is do I need a 2nd G% to fly IFR?

Not heavy IFR mostly for punching through the california marine layer on take-offs and landings.

I have an appt. monday withan avionics pro but need to know if I need a complete panel change or the above scenario.

Thanks!!!

GPS 75 CAD

Here you go.

The first is for the 175,

6j3ti1.jpg

For those interested in the 375, it is a little deeper.

34r9lpf.jpg

Good luck.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

With the outline dwg I was able to make a SolidWorks CAD and package the GPS175 into my panel assy.

Q-U9D_rbG8kGdqYwJCrNEnUf9ZOi3pEiKBNouLrrMXDDky5qOKT6QQHFMYotH5I5JZjWmO0sy1glI73j7njB7AmvZ717jqQXY_kbmVs9kT7Ft73UsmlqhgF0lP36Qy-2BOSUPxcvuaIc3P__LMLjJujDr39TBZb-HSr5dkjLAXNavBkOgqjr4KIyGdB0uRqfeeJKA9WhOs-eopr-YXY_QwHMUip1pYSHZ3cKfBl48PyOpOzTMYnpEEIsIljxptR_2hPshiU13hqtBoUkRKAfUcgVoyV9v526f85hSCCt6zWc971WC4jEHbr2u8Q3nMuva5j8U9qBs5nEbxXebcsKYKAYFIbIaStHlcfDpdcQPSvL6HrAEAF5J4DG7wq5bXz5s7yYhP8Ovpze6krKNIVKbvPcVXH24Uw3QXxVAyWdfR4i0KRfAqa2QB1-Jiy4KoI538JCsSBeu-ZXZuwQsZIvv8UQkLdf2gb_ZUn5Cu7A1EwJbvt-rYhY4L55g74B1hTJ6PskhXO-FpyxV3ijS2Kqu-ahcQlbjsvAg09Hz4-tNr-y_loA4ri9VoGp7Dk_8bJ5PGSSDeCcEz2Taw9oMVB5Bsz-pRlDyD5_4yMgWI0icXgaX-O715rHcFRuwNy-g8oJsBLmIYtarUutwnsMIUDpV5cF9zRyPkK3M21Zxy6nrAJ9JvqXki1HY_TuB-0seEcyjgGoxl2q89zxGX-5KnmwwWDC=w1000-h791-no

Last edited:
King KI 209 Indicator

Per post #131 by NewbRVator, will the KNX375 drive the King KI209 VOR/LOC/GS head?

Dave,

The answer is, "Yes", you can hook up the GNX 375 to a King KI 209 indicator.

See below the hookup for the GNX 375 to King KI 209 indicator.

sex8b6.jpg

Brian

Last edited:
Last edited:
Install Manual

I was originally planning on the 650, really like the shorter depth of this unit for my RV10. Would like to look at the pinouts and cable connector specifics. Where can we get installation manual?

The one manual with pinouts that I can find so far on the Garmin site is the GPS 175/GNX 375 Part 23 AML STC Maintenance Manual, its here.

Page 5-18 to 21 shows pinouts. Not sure if this STC Mx Man is different from a basic installation manual, but it's a start.

You can compare this to the 650 manual Brian referenced.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, this is what I was looking for, has the pinouts and connector sizing, much appreciated.

I think I will be going to Stein for a harness, I do not like working with the sub mintature connectors.......

Steve

Thanks Bob, this is what I was looking for, has the pinouts and connector sizing, much appreciated.

I think I will be going to Stein for a harness, I do not like working with the sub mintature connectors.......

Steve

If Stein is your dealer, they can provide you with the full install manual.

If Stein is your dealer, they can provide you with the full install manual.

Yes, Stein will have the proper data for sure. Good choice for harness buildup...and any other avionics needs. ;) My one caveat in passing that STC Mx Manual along is that it may or may not have additional items required by the STC...I just don?t have that depth of knowledge. Looking forward to seeing the basic installation manual.

Cheers,
Bob

G3Xpert - Obviously you can't speak for GRT, but I know that my GRT Sport SX is compatible with the Garmin 400 series navigators via ARINC adapter. Is there any reason to think that the 175 wouldn't also be compatible? If so, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Chris

I think this is an important question to which many of us would like an answer. If Garmin were to provide access to the installation manual prior to a purchase this question might be answered in the document.

I think this is an important question to which many of us would like an answer. If Garmin were to provide access to the installation manual prior to a purchase this question might be answered in the document.

The manual does not speak of any GRT product.

It does have ARINC similar to the GNS and GTN series. Garmin has acknowledged this a few times now here and on the webinar.

Check out this post http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1335528&postcount=95

If you have a specific question, you should call or email G3Xpert.

Likely what your gonna get in reply is yes it supports ARINC and you need to ask GRT if they support it or not.

Last edited:
G3Xpert - Obviously you can't speak for GRT, but I know that my GRT Sport SX is compatible with the Garmin 400 series navigators via ARINC adapter. Is there any reason to think that the 175 wouldn't also be compatible? If so, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Chris

Hello Chris,

Sorry, we missed your question earlier.

This was answered in a previous post, but if your EFIS is compatible with GNS 4XXW/5XXW and GTN 6XX/7XX WAAS navigators, it should be compatible with the GPS 175.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin GNX 375

Hi Steve ( g3xpert)

Can you tell me if the 375 Transponder have dual diversity?? With the upcoming Canadian ADS-B mandate which will be Space based we might have to install 2 antennas ( Top and Bottom ) and I'll like to know if the 375 will fit the bill??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hi Steve ( g3xpert)

Can you tell me if the 375 Transponder have dual diversity?? With the upcoming Canadian ADS-B mandate which will be Space based we might have to install 2 antennas ( Top and Bottom ) and I'll like to know if the 375 will fit the bill??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

It?s only got one xponder antenna connection on the back.

Hi Steve ( g3xpert)

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Bruno,

As Brian said, the GNX 375 is not a dual diversity unit.

Thanks,
Steve

Back