What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serial/Builder Number

LuisR

Well Known Member
So I picked up a partially completed -10 empennage. Do I call VANS for a NEW number? Or do I ask vans the number from the prior owner? I asked the prior owner for the serial number and he didn't seem to know it had a serial number. The plans serial number was left blank.

Thanks.

The serial/builder number is the serial number of the empennage kit. If you can't find it on, for example, the packing list, then call Van's and they can look it up. They'll have paperwork they will want you to full out and send in by mail, FAX or scanned image to transfer the builder number to you.

It's easy. Been there, done that a couple of times. :)

I actually had mine for some time before realizing it! For a 12 for instance, my number is 120461, 461 being the magic number.

so what if i have a builder # but i buy a set of quick build wings from a fellow builder tapping out. different kit different # Which number stands?

so what if i have a builder # but i buy a set of quick build wings from a fellow builder tapping out. different kit different # Which number stands?

Can you lay claim to two build numbers? If so, I would. Van's can only sell one prop and one engine at the heavily discounted price, for each build number.

I had an extended discussion with Van's about this. The builder number stays with the empennage. Buy someone else's wings or fuselage, you keep your builder number and he keeps his -- or whoever buys his tail gets it.

I had an extended discussion with Van's about this. The builder number stays with the empennage. Buy someone else's wings or fuselage, you keep your builder number and he keeps his -- or whoever buys his tail gets it.

Thank you sir!

Sent an email to VANS yesterday. No reply yet. How quickly do they usually respond to emails?

Couple, three days usually. Depends on how deep they need to look for the answer. For a serial # it should not take long.

Vans replied yesterday. They need a bill of sale and a form for the transfer. Unfortunately we did not do a bill of sale. Contacted Roy and he said he will put something together and send it to me after he get back in town.

Back