What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler recommendation for Cold Air Sump

JoopSJ

Well Known Member
I am looking for a recommendation for an oil cooler to be used with a Superiour (AeroSport IO-360) Cold Air Sump.
Am I correct assuming that the cold air system demands more oil cooler capacity than an engine with a traditional oil sump?
Thanks

Hey Joop!

I recommend you reach out to Bill Genevro at Airflow Systems in California. He is very knowledgeable and will help you with your decisions.

Hope the build is going well.

Bill Genevro
Managing Director
Airflow Systems
949-218-9701
[email protected]

Hey Joop,
It’s not the sump although it could have a minimal effect it’s the piston cooling nozzles that are utilized in all 200 hp Lycoming’s that use the horizontal induction or as some call them cold air induction.
I run a Lycoming cold air sump on a hot rodded parallel valve 360 (similar to an IO-360-M1B that dyno’s at ove 215 hp and am able to run an 6 row cooler on the back of cylinder 4. On a 90 degree + day at full power it will climb to 215 degrees but cools down to 205 degrees when I pull back at altitude. Having said all that having more cooler wouldn’t hurt.
I tried the Airflow Systems cooler before and it didn’t help me. The one difference I did find when I was experimenting with piston cooling nozzles was a bar and plate cooler ( the ones with the smooth ends ) lowered my temps by 10 degrees across the range.
With engines I’ve ran on the dyno the Superior “ Cold Air Sump” didn’t run any warmer than the Lycoming horizontal induction.
Just my thoughts and as they say your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Pacific oil cooler

I have what appears to be the same engine as u. I have the POC p/n 8001689, 9 row cooler with Flat or sealed sides. Mounted on the firewall. Rarely approaches 200, only on a hot day max climb. Stabilizes on 185 consistently.

I am looking for a recommendation for an oil cooler to be used with a Superiour (AeroSport IO-360) Cold Air Sump.
Am I correct assuming that the cold air system demands more oil cooler capacity than an engine with a traditional oil sump?
Thanks

The Superior cold air sump has a capacity of 8 quarts just like the Lycoming. I put in 7 at oil change and don't add until near 5. The sump design itself will have little effect on oil temperature or the necessary cooler capacity. "Cold Air Sump" just means that the induction air tubes don't run through the oil. For an injected engine, this means that the air isn't heated by passing through tubes immersed in hot oil which would theoretically decrease density = power loss. For a carburated engine this wouldn't be so good as the warmer air would help with fuel vaporization. The actual amount of heat transfer and cooling of the oil is probably not much.

Don't use a Niagra. Many builders struggle with oil temps. It's easier to restrict airflow to an oil cooler in cold weather than to get an undersized cooler to work for you when it's hot. Call Pacific Oil Cooler for recommendation of oil cooler size and then think about going a little bigger. Their HE series coolers are knock offs of the Stewart-Warner and are pretty good. I'm using their 10 row HE cooler.

Ed Holyoke

Same

I've got the same engine too. Always had the standard Niagara cooler mounted on the baffles behind the number 3 cylinder. No issues whatsoever. Rarely gets close to 200 degrees even in the height of summer. Dont over complicate things.
I do have the antisplat oil cooler door mounted in front on the cooler and it's fantastic. 180 degree oil all year long.

Back