What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pic request - Fairings-Etc tail fairing install on RV-7/8

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Fellow Fairings-Etc tail fairing customers, would you share pictures of your fairing installation, especially the lower fairings? I'm particularly interested in how you attached the lower fairing to the fuse and whether you installed any fasteners to the underside of the HS.

I've done several forum searches and most of the links I've found have expired picture URLs. Any new info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

Three shots for you

Hi Dave, a friend of mine was at this exact stage and asked for a few photos of mine. I still have them so I’ll forward on to you. The fairing does take a lot of work to get right but it’s worth it. I used a lot of packing tape and mold release on the fuse and screwed many parts down with flox between them to get a good fit.

76024-A20-3419-4932-80-CB-6222819-FE83-D.jpg

Last edited:
I went straight into the top longeron And tapped for 6-32 screws. I didn?t attach it to the HS. The only attachment to the HS is the most rearward screw on the top fairing because it just wouldn?t sit totally flat.
FDFC6-A37-20-BD-49-A1-9-B2-B-8-AE5768-C9-BE9.jpg

Great post
I?ve been thinking about going this route on my 7 too, I hate to think of all the hours I spent on this fairing on my 6 with mixed feelings looking at the end result, nice work Simon, Stiill can?t believe you did a paint job like that on your first go at it !!!

Too Kind

Too kind guys, thanks.

Gary! Nice to hear from you, have you painted your 6 yet? Clare asks about you often, will we see you at Oshkosh this year?

Simon

Hi Dave, a friend of mine was at this exact stage and asked for a few photos of mine. I still have them so I?ll forward on to you. The fairing does take a lot of work to get right but it?s worth it.

Many thanks Simon, that's exactly what I was hoping for - I owe you a beer! You've really set the bar high for emp fairings...

Best,

Dave

I had one of the originals on my RV-4 (it was custom made on my plane and used to make mold). It became the start of this business.... Glad to see they are continuing under new ownership...

From what I understand they may not fit perfect, because they were made to fit someones plane (and mold taken from that plane). That plane may vary slightly from yours. They are BIGGER and hae much larger radius from vans stock faring... I suspect they weigh more. However it should not be too hard to get them to fit.... Still nice work and typically with ready to paint finish from what I recall. Back in the day they were still using gel coat which is out of style now.

Last edited:
Fairings

Mine took a small amount of fitting, but out of the box this was miles ahead of the one I got from Vans

10gck9l.jpg

4sxws7.jpg

The lower fairing has a lip built into the front so it that fits under the top fairing.

Hi Simon, quick question - are those two forward screws on the side of the upper fairing going through the longeron or to nutplates?

Thanks again!

Dave

Back