What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

Using connext function with area 660

Hi,

the area 660 has under the function button “Active Flight Plan” a function called “connext” and I saw a video on YouTube where a expert where telling he use this function in combination with a Garmin Watch to send flight plans from iPad.
Does anybody know how to use Connext to upload flight routes edited by a app on ipad?

Regards
gflyer

I use the "Connext" feature between my Aera 660 and Foreflight running on my iPad. Simply establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and the rest is fairly intuitive. Not certain which video you watched but the one below explains all the steps. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4

Thanks for the video link. That’s a perfect connection between the two worlds (ipad and Garmin device) and gives a lot of benefit and security while having a backup and steering control of a GFC 500 Autopilot. Would like to have this too in combination with SkyDemon which is very widely used in Europe.

I use the "Connext" feature between my Aera 660 and Foreflight running on my iPad. Simply establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and the rest is fairly intuitive. Not certain which video you watched but the one below explains all the steps. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4

1- Does the 660 "connext" with an Android tablet?

2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FltPlan Go?

Last edited:
1- Does the 660 "connext" with an Android tablet?
2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FlyPlan Go?

Yes to #1, maybe to #2. See article below on Garmin's site. Includes FltPlan Go but does not specifically mention the Aera device.

I also keep FltPlanGo on my iPad and will test the two today and report back.

FltPlan.com & FltPlan Go App Added to Connext Wireless Cockpit Connectivity Portfolio
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/a...next-wireless-cockpit-connectivity-portfolio/

Last edited:
Yes to #1, maybe to #2. See article below on Garmin's site. Includes FltPlan Go but does not specifically mention the Aera device.

I also keep FltPlanGo on my iPad and will test the two today and report back.

FltPlan.com & FltPlan Go App Added to Connext Wireless Cockpit Connectivity Portfolio
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/a...next-wireless-cockpit-connectivity-portfolio/

Awesome, yes please test it and let us know, thank you ! That would be one less connection to the GDL39-3D since the tablet would be connected to the 660.

I remember trying this when it was announced. I was able to transfer a flight plan from my Android tablet to my Aera 660. But I was unable to get traffic data to flow from the Tablet to the 660 (traffic data coming from a Stratux over WiFi to the tablet). Not surprising, as allowing traffic to flow that way would cut into sales of the GDL units... :)

Someone left this comment under a video explaining the Area 660 specs and functions:

"Also added a Dynon D100, .... and a GDL-39 3D.With the Aera 660 power/ data cable and a GDL-39 power data cable I hardwired the GDL-39 to the Aera 660, Hardwired the Aera 660 to the Dynon D100....., I connect the Aera 660 through Bluetooth to my IPad Pro and also Bluetooth the iPad Pro to my headset. Audio from Aera660 is hardwired to intercom..... The Aera 660 also provides data to the Dynon to calculate winds aloft at current altitude and info to the HSI."

If I replace "Dynon D100" with "Garmin G5", and also replace "Foreflight" with "FltPlan GO", and finally replace "Ipad" with "Samsung Tablet", it looks pretty much like what my setup will be once I finish installing the GDL 39 3D, so the last sentence (highlighted by me) begs the questions:

1- Will the Aera 660 send winds aloft info to the hardwired G5s? This would save G5 owners from having to spend another $400+ on the Garmin GAD-13 (with the additional OAT probe and installation costs), just to have wind speed and direction on the G5.

2- Will the Aera 600 send winds aloft info to the tablet FltPlan GO app, or if not, is there any other app it would display it on like WingX, Avare, etc.?

Someone left this comment under a video explaining the Area 660 specs and functions:

"Also added a Dynon D100, .... and a GDL-39 3D.With the Aera 660 power/ data cable and a GDL-39 power data cable I hardwired the GDL-39 to the Aera 660, Hardwired the Aera 660 to the Dynon D100....., I connect the Aera 660 through Bluetooth to my IPad Pro and also Bluetooth the iPad Pro to my headset. Audio from Aera660 is hardwired to intercom..... The Aera 660 also provides data to the Dynon to calculate winds aloft at current altitude and info to the HSI."

Carlos,

According to the D100 pilot guide "The D100 display of winds aloft requires an active GPS connection and an OAT probe", and of course it also requires a magnetometer to measure heading. The person posting this comment is just saying that the Aera 660 is providing the GPS data (i.e. GPS track and ground speed) needed by the D100 to calculate winds aloft. He is not saying that the Aera 660 is sending winds aloft data to the D100.

Each Garmin G5 has a built-in WAAS GPS, so it doesn't require an external GPS to display winds aloft - just heading (GMU 11) and OAT (GAD 13).

If I replace "Dynon D100" with "Garmin G5", and also replace "Foreflight" with "FltPlan GO", and finally replace "Ipad" with "Samsung Tablet", it looks pretty much like what my setup will be once I finish installing the GDL 39 3D, so the last sentence (highlighted by me) begs the questions:

1- Will the Aera 660 send winds aloft info to the hardwired G5s? This would save G5 owners from having to spend another $400+ on the Garmin GAD-13 (with the additional OAT probe and installation costs), just to have wind speed and direction on the G5.

The Aera 660 receives forecast winds aloft and recent METAR surface winds from a SXM weather or ADS-B weather receiver, but doesn't have the air data and magnetic heading data needed to calculate current winds aloft like the G5. The G5 only displays the real-time winds aloft data (speed/direction) that it calculates. It doesn't display forecasted winds aloft data which comes from a weather receiver like the GDL 39 or GDL 5X(R).

The SXM or FIS-B METAR provided surface winds and baro setting at the nearest reporting station is very valuable information, and I always dedicate fields on the Aera 660/760 to display this information to prepare for landing or make baro setting adjustments enroute.

AM-JKLXuR-KroncTwHdA7NY9zF0J2za-cgg5lxwTCgV_i0tk0AbSZujsLp8MHeRkpgLGvatZHambUQ7JZkygrPk4v8Xdk_5aCY8Yvx1eJSfH-wMm2R48VUhtMQ2SFxh-GA7pQcHfgpOPVacRPRcaBjeq-jit=w480

2- Will the Aera 600 send winds aloft info to the tablet FltPlan GO app, or if not, is there any other app it would display it on like WingX, Avare, etc.?
The Aera 660/760 is not a weather receiver. Any tablet app wanting to display weather data like forecast winds or surface winds would need to connect directly to the weather receiver (e.g. GDL 39 or GDL 5X(R)).

Steve

The SXM or FIS-B METAR provided surface winds and baro setting at the nearest reporting station is very valuable information, and I always dedicate fields on the Aera 660/760 to display this information to prepare for landing or make baro setting adjustments enroute.

AM-JKLXuR-KroncTwHdA7NY9zF0J2za-cgg5lxwTCgV_i0tk0AbSZujsLp8MHeRkpgLGvatZHambUQ7JZkygrPk4v8Xdk_5aCY8Yvx1eJSfH-wMm2R48VUhtMQ2SFxh-GA7pQcHfgpOPVacRPRcaBjeq-jit=w480

Steve

Thank you. I'll check to see what my settings are on the 660 on that page (and if different I'll change them) because having the QNH from the nearest airport all the time on the 660 is faster than me looking it up on my tablet or phone app.

2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FltPlan Go?

Quick note to confirm I had no trouble exchanging flight plans (in either direction) between FltPlan Go on my iPad and the Aera 660 using the Connext feature. You connect the two devices via Bluetooth ... then within the FltPlan Go app you select Garmin as the External Device. Only flight plans are exchanged between the devices. There was some reference in an earlier post asking where / or if a Stratux receiver fits into the mix (I use one myself). That still requires a separate WiFi connection between the iPad / FltPlan Go and Stratux; ADS-B data does not flow to the Aera even with Connext active between the two. I gather from the Stratux development boards Garmin has recently opened some of their protocols; fingers crossed we may see that in the future.

Last edited:
I have been only able to get the 660 to update the fltplango app but not the other way around. It does this automatically without any prompts when Bluetooth is connected. Doesn’t seem to use proprietary connext though.

Exchange of flight plans between area 660 and SkyDemon

Hi Steve,

I saw a video the area 660 worked great together with Foreflight. Have a look. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
Wondering why it does not work with SkyDemon? It would be great if area 660 / 760 can share and exchange data like Foreflight can do. The SkyDemon NAV app is very popular and widely used in Europe, especially in UK, Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy,... It would become to a backup solution to exchange flight plans between area devices series and SkyDemon. This is may a good reason to sell more devices into the market as a backup solution for less reliable tablet solutions.

Regards
gflyer

Hello Group, looking for the help from the Experts on the Garmin Aera 660.

I recently bought 2 AV30-C to get the installed on my C172. I have an Aera 660 and want to use one of the Serial Ports on the Aera to pass the NMEA data to the AV30-C. I have my Aera connected to a GDL-50 and my Cigaret Lighter using the Garmin Cable 010-12373-02. This has been working for years flawlessly.

I notice that the connection between the Aera 660 and the GDL-50 is in the Serial 2 on the Aera (for the Link connected to the GDL-50). This leaves me with Serial 1 available to pass the NMEA Data to the AV30-C.

So my question is, does anybody have mapped the Bare Cable wiring (010-12373-01) to the Pins on the Cradle Connector??? Or does any body Know the Aera 660 Back Plate Pinout schematic??

I think my Cable, Garmin 010-12373-02, (even though have the same cable colors and cradle base as the bare wire cable) is wired differently on the cradle side than the bare wire cable.

So my problem is that I'm not getting any GPS raw data in to my AV30-C.

This is what I have done so far (which is a lot):

1. Open up my Cable (010-12373-02) and notice it have the same amount and colors of cables as the bare wire cable (010-12373-01).

2. Made the Connection from what it supposed to be the Serial 1 Tx (Tx1, blue cable) to the AV30-C GPS Data input port (Pin 2 on the AV30-C connector).

3. I have Checked continuity and it comes out all the way to a pin on the Aera 660 Cradle base (from the AV30-C connector).

4. I called Garming Support to ask for the Cradle Pinout schematics (for each cable) and for the Aera 660 Back Plate pinout Schematics, and to my surprise they didnt have that information.... Really!!!!

5. Called Uavionix support and they gave me the configurations for the Port on the Aera and the AV30-C (for protocols and speeds) and that didn't work either. From Uavionix: If you set the Aera 660 to Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out then you will set the AV30-C to NMEA 9600. If you set the Aera 660 to just NMEA OUT the you will need to set the AV30-C to NMEA 4800.

So I'm assuming that my cable (Garmin Cable 010-12373-02) is wired differently on the cradle base than the Bare Cable (010-12373-01).

I need to confirm this (which color of cable goes to what pin on the cradle), but no one seems to have an answer, and since I don't have a bare cable that I can trace (cable color to what pin), I was wondering if any f you guys have that information.

I'll gladly appreciate any input or help on this matter.

Last edited:
Bottom line. You have to buy the $60 bare wire kit. Period. I went round and round trying to get signals out of the dock cable the same as you. I took a combo aera/GDL cable and thought I could reverse engineer it. I also disassembled the plastic dock itself to pin out the wires to know the colors. No dice. Some of the wires inside the cable didn't even connect to the dock circuit board. Garmin manufacturing really locked down things to force the use of the official cable. Anymore I just order the bare wire kits for the aera and GDL as a matter of course and get on with things.

Bottom line. You have to buy the $60 bare wire kit. Period. I went round and round trying to get signals out of the dock cable the same as you. I took a combo aera/GDL cable and thought I could reverse engineer it. I also disassembled the plastic dock itself to pin out the wires to know the colors. No dice. Some of the wires inside the cable didn't even connect to the dock circuit board. Garmin manufacturing really locked down things to force the use of the official cable. Anymore I just order the bare wire kits for the aera and GDL as a matter of course and get on with things.

That is what I thought. Thanks.. for the info. I'll buy the bare cable for the Aera 660, cut one my current one and re-use the power cables coming from the cigarette lighter.

Regards.

Hi hgarcia,

I did the same with the area 660 and a Trig Transponder (GPS Position data for ADS-B out) and an Trig Radio using the SL40 protocol to send frequencies.
There is a drawing of the bare wire cable (which you need to purchase) some pages before in this thread. Have a look...
The area 660 is a great device because it has serial outputs. If it would have a interface to navigation apps like SkyDemon (as it work with Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight) it become to a great flight bag, flight director and backup setup for VFR pilots.

Cheers
gFlyer

GFlyer

Thanks.. I order the bare wire (PN 010-123731-01) today. I had the other wire in use before (010-12373-02), the one that Garmin sells that is enclosed with a Y to connect the 660 to the GDL-50 and a Cigarette Lighter adaptor to power both.

I thought that the cradle part of that cable. Was cabled the same as the bare wire one. I thought since it had the same cables colors (I opened) it was wired the same and it is not.

I bought the bare wire. And once it arrives I'll try to re-use the other Y part of my previous cable, I don't want to loose the Cigarette Adapter and the Y to the GDL-50.

Hopefully it will work.

GFlyer

Thanks.. I order the bare wire (PN 010-123731-01) today. I had the other wire in use before (010-12373-02), the one that Garmin sells that is enclosed with a Y to connect the 660 to the GDL-50 and a Cigarette Lighter adaptor to power both.

I thought that the cradle part of that cable. Was cabled the same as the bare wire one. I thought since it had the same cables colors (I opened) it was wired the same and it is not.

I bought the bare wire. And once it arrives I'll try to re-use the other Y part of my previous cable, I don't want to loose the Cigarette Adapter and the Y to the GDL-50.

Hopefully it will work.

Caguas, donde estudie desde 5to y me gradue del Colegio San Jose !

Does anyone have any tricks for storing a waypoint that doesn't involve about 5 button pushes to save and return to the map screen?

Oh for the good old days before touch screen. :p

Exchange of flight plans between area 660 / 760 and SkyDemon

One try more.....thanks for answer.

Hi Steve,

I saw a video the area 660 worked great together with Foreflight. Have a look. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
Wondering why it does not work with SkyDemon? It would be great if area 660 / 760 can share and exchange data like Foreflight can do. The SkyDemon NAV app is very popular and widely used in Europe, especially in UK, Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy,... It would become to a backup solution to exchange flight plans between area devices series and SkyDemon. This is may a good reason to sell more devices into the market as a backup solution for less reliable tablet solutions.

Regards
gflyer

It would be nice if I could use my 660 while connected to both my GDL 50 and my iPad mini. That way, the back seater could make flight plan changes on the iPad and push them to the 660...while still benefiting from the information on the GDL50...

It would be nice if I could use my 660 while connected to both my GDL 50 and my iPad mini. That way, the back seater could make flight plan changes on the iPad and push them to the 660...while still benefiting from the information on the GDL50...

I connected the GDL39 to the 660 by wire (rs232) and then to the iPad with Bluetooth. Could you do that with yours?

New software version V.3.82 has a bug

Hi Steve,

hope you read this message. Have installed the new software release v. 3.82 at my area 660. After this my GFC Autopilot is without NAV routing function. I checked with another area 660 which has version 3.81 installed and it works perfectly.
Frequency SL40 transfer to my radio on COM1 port works well while AP control on COM2 dosen’t. As serial data format I am using on both ports „Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out“.

Are you aware of this bug?
How long would it take to fix this bug?
For the case longer, how I am able to downgrade to V. 3.81?

Kind regards
gflyer

Hi Steve,

hope you read this message. Have installed the new software release v. 3.82 at my area 660. After this my GFC Autopilot is without NAV routing function. I checked with another area 660 which has version 3.81 installed and it works perfectly.
Frequency SL40 transfer to my radio on COM1 port works well while AP control on COM2 dosen’t. As serial data format I am using on both ports „Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out“.

Are you aware of this bug?
How long would it take to fix this bug?
For the case longer, how I am able to downgrade to V. 3.81?

Kind regards
gflyer
Hello gflyer,

Yes, Garmin is aware of this issue.

Justin is discussing this in another thread.

Steve

My aera 660 has a possible WiFi bug and has for some time, and it was not accepting the software update from the Mac. Carl at Garmin tech support talked me though a bunch of things, and we finally got the software updated through a circuitous and illogical sequence of steps, but we got it done. Carl gets an A+.

Hello guys, Quick question, after the last update to 3.83 (in the Aera 660) did someone notice that on the map when you click on airports or waypoints or any other place it takes forever to open or scroll down and open the subpages??

For example, if I click an airport it takes a while to open the Info, Freq, Runway, weather, etc. page and then if you click on one of those it takes a while to open, and scrolling up and down is a pain now due to the lag. Before it used to be an instant invent to access the data.

It only happens only on the Map tab or Charts tab, on the rest of the menus on the 660 it works fast as it always has.

Any idea on how to fix this??

Regards,

Hello guys, Quick question, after the last update to 3.83 (in the Aera 660) did someone notice that on the map when you click on airports or waypoints or any other place it takes forever to open or scroll down and open the subpages??

For example, if I click an airport it takes a while to open the Info, Freq, Runway, weather, etc. page and then if you click on one of those it takes a while to open, and scrolling up and down is a pain now due to the lag. Before it used to be an instant invent to access the data.

It only happens only on the Map tab or Charts tab, on the rest of the menus on the 660 it works fast as it always has.

Any idea on how to fix this??

Regards,

Have you tried doing a factory hard reset then reinstalling the latest software?

Carlos

PS: Me crie en Villa Blanca en Caguas. Saludos !

Have you tried doing a factory hard reset then reinstalling the latest software?

Carlos

PS: Me crie en Villa Blanca en Caguas. Saludos !

Hello Carlos, where can I get the Procedure for the factory reset?? I don't know the procedure.

PS: Que bien, yo vivo en la Degetau.. Saludos

On some Garmin GPS you press on the bottom right corner of the screen and at the same time press the power button. It'll ask if you want to reset.

I don't have my 660 here so I can't check. You might be able to google it or a quick call to Garmin support and they can tell you.

On some Garmin GPS you press on the bottom right corner of the screen and at the same time press the power button. It'll ask if you want to reset.

I don't have my 660 here so I can't check. You might be able to google it or a quick call to Garmin support and they can tell you.

I have been looking in Google for it all morning, nothing yet, tried the pressing the bottom right corner and that didn't work either. I'll guess I'll give Garmin a call later on today.

Regards,

Back