What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14 year later new paint

JulsPower

I'm New Here
Hi
My father did build a -7 done in 2004, nice job and pretty fun to fly.
after some time he converted to -7A and glass panel, even more great. I did learn to fly on this plane (and repair wheel pants).
We are now removing wings to paint them (including flaps and aileron)
some rivet on the wings have cracked paint around them, my father tell me it is because with time some have loosen a bit and with vibration, heat they moved a bit and made the paint crack around them.

So my question is what to do with them now and how to avoid this in the future. Is there a way to inject epoxy around/inside the rivet to avoid this?

Im used to automobile paint and fiberglass/epoxy, I use a high build primer like besa, personally I would fill all rivet on the wings, but my priority is avoid paint cracking around rivet.
I did read: https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=86263 thread

Thank you all for your tips

15 years on my JetGlo paint and no issues, no fillers or high build primers.

At least on my 7a, removing the wings would be very difficult. The bolts were extremely difficult to install and would be even harder to remove.

I know it’s not answering your question, but unless your wings are easier to remove than mine, consider painting them while they are attached.

At least on my 7a, removing the wings would be very difficult. The bolts were extremely difficult to install and would be even harder to remove.

I know it’s not answering your question, but unless your wings are easier to remove than mine, consider painting them while they are attached.

they are already removed, seem my father have experience with removing them (from a soft landing crash) he did put some anti size on the bolt I think

Back